Our question this week involves groups of characters in primary colors gathering together to beat the snot out of each other. Namely:
Instead of me blathering on about this, I wanted to leave it open to you, the viewing public, who will doubtlessly know more about each of these groups than I do. So have at it in comments, and let me know which of these teams would be the winner no matter who else on the list they faced.
HeroMachine Commenter Force Super Discussion Mash-Up GO!
The votes are in and your winner for Caption Contest 87 is ... Doomed Pixel for this quality joke:
Congratulations to Doomed Pixel, who alas has a long history of not claiming his prizes. Maybe this will turn into another bonus for those of you who haven't won, as you'll get to vote on another replacement item!
The full results are as follows for those who are curious:
I've just added the Tops-FemaleFantasyArmor set to the HeroMachine 3 Alpha. Let me know if you spot any problems (other than the one that shows the pattern in the midsection that's supposed to be bare). As usual, if you don't see it in the list, clear your browser's cache and reload HM3.
I just signed up for Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited -- does anyone else use that? How has your experience with it been? I'm looking forward to catching up on some of the comics I've missed over the last ten years, as well as looking through some of the oldies but goodies for Random Panel fodder.
I clicked on an ad in my YahooSports Fantasy Football page, which had a promo offer of $4.99 a month, or $59.88 for the year with a pre-paid year-long subscription. Once on the order page, there was a place to put in a promo code, and with a Google search I found CYBER3010, which apparently is their "Cyber Monday" price, expiring at midnight. Putting that in gave me an additional 30% off a yearly subscription rate for a final bill of $41.92. Not too shabby for all the comics you can read!
Note that I am not getting a cut of this or anything, it's something I was doing on my own and thought was a neat deal that might be interesting to you. If you sign up, or have been a subscriber already, I'd be curious to hear about what you think of it.
(From "Ultimate X-Men" number 131, © Marvel Comics.)
Your character design challenge for this week is to create an alien. You could go all out and do examples of several different sub-species inhabiting a planet, or a super-hero with an alien background, or a fantasy alien invader (like the Mind Flayers), or a specific alien from literature (a named Green Martian from Burroughs, for example), or anything else you can think of that would qualify under the name "alien".
- All entries must be in JPG or PNG form (BMPs are too big), posted to a publicly accessible website (like ImageShack, PhotoBucket, the UGO Forums, whatever);
- Entries must be made as a comment or comments to this post, containing a link directly to the image and the character name;
- The image cannot have been used in any previous HeroMachine character design contest -- we had an "Angels and Demons" contest and a "D&D Character" contest a while back, for instance, and I don't want repeats of stuff you already did for those;
- Please name your files as [your name]-[character name].[file extension]. So DiCicatriz, for instance, would save his "Bayou Belle" character image as DiCicatriz-BayouBelle.png.
- Please make the link go directly to the image (like this) and not to a hosting jump page (like this). If you see "preview" or "rotate" somewhere in the link you're probably doing it wrong.
- All entries must be in by next Monday, when I'll choose a winner, who will receive his or her choice of any item or a portrait to be included in the final HeroMachine 3 program, or a "Sketch of the Week" style black and white illustration.
We had some wickedly funny entries for Caption Contest 87, many thanks to everyone who took the time to enter and share your creativity with us. The challenge was to come up with the funniest replacement dialog for this blank caption panel which, along with all your children, are © Marvel Comics:
I couldn't pick just one, so I am off-loading the job onto you. I selected the entries I thought were funniest overall, and now you get to vote for the ones you think are best. You can only vote one time between now and midnight Mountain Time, but in that one vote you can pick as many as you think are worthy.
Good luck to the Finalists! Winner announced in the morning.
(Not sure what issue this is from, but it's ©DC Comics anyway.)
With thanks to reader PCFDPGrey for passing it along, I thought you might enjoy this list of "Top 20 Worst Superhero Names". A sample, which for my money HAS to be number 1:
It's a pretty funny list, but I was curious if there were other options that would have been better. For instance, I think "The Human Torch" is actually a pretty cool name. So in no particular order, here are some other options to consider:
- Paste-Pot Pete
- Brother Power the Geek
- Arm Fall Off Boy
- The Whizzer
What would you put on the list, and if you feel particularly motivated, how would you rank the all-time worst names in comic book history?
(From "Four Favorites" number 10, 1942.)