The Reactor Core (The Atomic Punk’s Archive)

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery The Reactor Core (The Atomic Punk’s Archive)

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 492 total)
  • Author

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 52 – Sagittarius

I should have done a little more with the robot horse. Maybe add a cannon, some glow or eyes, something to make him more expressive. Then again, his blank stare and smile gives him a smug attitude. For the centaur’s part, I tried to convey body language like he just threw down the gauntlet (well, his bow).

Overall, I enjoy this design.

Hippo-a-Hippo: The Showdown
    AtomicPunk-HippoAHippo.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-HippoAHippo_cu.PNG

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Technically, all Centaurs are male. I don’t know if the same applies to Sagittarius.

Sagittarius Girlfriend
    AtomicPunk-SagittariusGirlfriend.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-SagittariusGirlfriend_cu.PNG

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

This was not an official entry. The resulting picture has almost nothing to do with the Zodiac. The puns and associations are complex and just aren’t that funny.

Sagittarius is the 9th Sign of the Zodiac.
    Cats have nine lives.
    “Casting out nines” is a mathematical quick check.
    An exorcism is performed to cast out demons.

Just two degrees shy of Kevin Bacon.

Casting Out Nine
    AtomicPunk-CastingOutNine.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-CastingOutNine_cu.PNG

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Final entry is the Strategic Anthropomorphic Guardian Initiative’s “Project: Archer.” The Archerproto-type is a footnote in the history of my mecha-verse.

Project: Archer
    AtomicPunk-ProjectArcher.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-ProjectArcher_cu.PNG

History
    In 1982, American President Ronald Reagan opened the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) talks. At the same time, military research and development was dreaming up the next generation of defense. One early project was the development of powered armor suits. Official named the Strategic Anthropomorphic Guardian Initiative (SAGI), it was commonly known as “the Archer.”

The project barely made it past the conceptual phase. Taking cues from the animal kingdom, the legs would be equine in nature for a wider-range of motion and quicker reaction. Unfortunately, the materials used to design the model were so heavy that it would tilt and fall. In an effort to stabilize the Archer, the arms were augmented to provide counter-balance.

The first prototype was a mere shell. The project was scrapped shortly after the mock-up was built in favor of the Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI). Commonly known as “Star Wars.”

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 53 – Bad Guy

The challenge was to design an arch-villain. First entry is a tribute to Terry Gilliam’s movie about dystopia – “Brasil.”

Central Services
    AtomicPunk-CentralServices.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-CentralServices_cu.PNG

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Went with a classic.

The Black Knight
    AtomicPunk-BlackKnight.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-BlackKnight_cu.PNG

meniukas
    Participant

I always like yours original approach and ‘Brazil’ that was an spectacular movie, sad they don’t make that any more.

djuby
    Participant

LOVE Princess of Mars! Nice job.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Thanks, meniukas and djuby.

From the onset of my “gallery,” my stated purpose was to self-critique and take a break from new characters. I’m feeling burned out personally and professionally. This review helps me relax and re-focus.

Here is a great self-critique. I designed a standard 1930s gangster. It wasn’t until I had finished “Hitman” that I noticed his left hand was disproportionate. I did not save the character. Thus, I could not go back to correct this error.

Then I thought, meh… let’s just write that into his character bio.

Hitman
    AtomicPunk-Hitman.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-Hitman_cu.PNG

Backstory
    Sal Rossi is known as “The Hitman” not because he is the mafia’s number one assassin. Rossi was born with a rare form of gigantism. His left hand is twice the size as normal for his body proportion.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Murder Fuel is actually a boss from a video game concept. I don’t have the know-how or the resources to design it. Funny thing is, I envision my video game along the lines of “Final Fantasy” though I have played none of the titles. From the commercials, yes, that is the how I want my game to flow. Maybe a little less anime-style.

Picture yourself as the hero or heroine stepping into an elegant baroque ballroom. The dancers waltz in 16th Century costume to Siouxsie and the Banshees “Kiss Them for Me.” As you make your way through the ballroom, there is a shadowy figure sitting on a throne just behind the head table. Before you reach the table, the dancers turn into vampires and flying demons.

You fend them off as you reach for the prized goblet that the mysterious prince holds. The mysterious foe leaps from his perch. Now you face Murder Fuel. You must defeat him or seize the goblet to gain access to the next level.

Here is Murder Fuel as a Bad Guy in my meta-verse:

Murder Fuel
    AtomicPunk-MurderFuel.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-MurderFuel_cu.PNG

Origin
    Since junior high, Rick Malmquist had always been an intentional misfit. He had tried to form a Satanic cult in eighth grade. He would tell his friends that his life’s ambition was to become a real demon. Perhaps become more powerful than the Devil himself. Which drew the attention not only of the school counselors, but of… others.

Jocks and bullies would beat up Rick and his friends all the way through high school graduation. Rick dropped out of college to become the next Anne Rice or Trent Reznor. He even joined “Murder Fuel,” a local goth band. At thirty-eight, he was the “creepy old man.”

Rick became obsessed with youth. He would hang around Hot Topic, read the entire Twilight series, and was first in line for every Harry Potter movie. Now calling himself Vicomte Richard, he had won the trust of the young vampire clique. Not because of any personal charm; rather, the kids used Rick for easy access to alcohol and drugs.

One particular groupie, “Colette”, caught Rick’s attention. She seemed to be genuinely interested in the Vicomte’s diabolic fantasy. Colette encouraged Rick and the others to participate in Satanism. The clique thought nothing of the blood rituals, as long as there was plenty of absinthe.

Colette was a succubus. She seduced Rick then offered to make him a demon. The deal was simple. He would become more powerful with every murder. Rick wasted no time. He killed the Satanic Circle that night. As promised, Rick began to transform.

Rick had become Murder Fuel, an evolving demon driven by bloodlust. He soon realized that mere mortals did not grow his power quickly. If he were to rule the planes of Hell, he would have to slaughter more than the innocent. Murder Fuel would have to strike down angels and other forces of light.

Murder Fuel continues to study and practice black arts. He not only kills for power, but also for pleasure. He recently developed claws as part of his transformation into a true demon. So excited was Murder Fuel, he dismembered Colette for the sensation of them tearing into flesh.

To divine beings, Murder Fuel is a neophyte rogue. They have defeated his kind in the past. Even though he has already dispatched three minor angels they sent to destroy him. Likewise, the denizens of Hell consider Murder Fuel to be a spurious upstart. Unlike the angels, the demons want him to become more powerful. For the more power he gains, the more powerful his killer will become.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

A victim of condition and circumstance. An incredible opponent whose motivation is not conquest or riches rather protection. A pawn, a robot, a killer who does not question only acts. Whose monicker is also a carry-over from Character Contest 45 – The Kirby Train.

Steel Blue Stick Pony
    AtomicPunk-SteelBlueStickPony.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-SteelBlueStickPony_cu.PNG

Origin
    Mortimer “Morty” Kirkley was born with severe Downs Syndrome. Though a happy child, he was teased mercilessly by the other children. So much so, that he would go in to violent rages. His parents enrolled him into a special therapy program that involved taking care of horses. The school even gave him a stick pony to ride. Morty was not allowed to ride the horses because of his condition.

The ranch hired Morty full-time when he graduated. Even as an adult, he enjoyed riding the stick pony and playing with guests. He was truly liked and happy. Sometimes he would lash out when frustrated. Which gave a greedy ranch hand called “Slick” an idea.

Slick was a drug addict who desperately needed cash. He robbed the ranch owners and killed them. He was able to frame Morty. During the trial, Morty assaulted the judge. Out of fear and frustration, as he could not understand why the ranch owners had left. Nor why he had to leave home.

The judge was corrupt and a known power-tripper. Despite the state’s ban, the judge sentenced Morty to die by electrocution. The prison carried out the execution after Morty killed another inmate who had spat in his applesauce.

His body was not taken to the prison cemetery. Instead, it was sold to Dr. Tina Mendoza… Dr. Menudo. The infamous scientist who turns the near and recently-dead into cyborg killing machines. Shortly after his resurrection, Morty escaped back to the ranch to be with his horses.

Dr. Menudo is still able to control Morty through promises of provisions for the horses and threats of “bad men” coming to take them away. Being with a child’s mind, Morty never asks questions. He does not trust anyone else.

Though his frame is diminutive, it is made of the most advanced alloys. His right arm is a multi-function cannon with a “last blast” rocket launcher on his shoulder. Morty is amazingly strong and is able to leap and bound great distances. His left arm is encased in steel with a video communicator to Dr. Menudo.

However, Morty’s left palm is still flesh. He can pet the horses and feel the warmth of the sun. Some would call this a miracle of cybernetics and neurology. To Dr. Menudo, it is one way to calm Steel Blue’s rage.

Excellent stuff. I really dig the Oyshin Warrior!

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Thanks, Mr. Chowderhead.

Dr. Menudo is an original character who I designed just for this HeroMachine contest. Now, she is a major villain in my meta-verse and continues to evolve. Dr. Menudo is the creator of such other baddies as the afore-mentioned Molly B. Denum (CC 42 – Another Brick in the Wall) and Steel Blue Stick Pony (CC 53 – Bad Guy). Stayed tuned for CyberPink (CC 66 – Cyborg).

Dr. Menudo (Antonia “Tina” Mendoza)
    AtomicPunk-DrMenudo.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-DrMenudo_cu.PNG

Origin
    Antonia was born to an extended Columbian family – the Mendoza Cartel. Her father Carlo spared no expense when it came to his only daughter’s happiness. Tutored by the most prestigious educators in the world, Tina, as she was called, took an interest in psychiatry and chemistry. Which pleased her father, who is still the most powerful drug lord in the world.

The girl was more than just privileged. She was a prodigy with all sciences and mathematics. She turned her attention to cybernetics. Continuing to elate the doting Carlo, she earned various bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the finest institutions in the world, all by the time she was fourteen.

Advanced tests proved that her genius was more than her education. Tina was genetically-enhanced. Her memory and cognitive skills were in the upper .001% of the entire earth’s population. Carlo suspected that this was a parting gift from Tina’s grandfather, a fugitive Nazi who settled in South America at the end of World War II. Dr. Lampart, himself, was rumored to be at least 130 years old when he died.

Tina had one more surprise for her father. She exceeded his own ambition. Carlo had his hands full running the cartel. Constantly looking over his shoulder, defending his empire from rivals, and staying ahead of almost every nation’s law enforcement agencies. Tina wanted to join the family business.

Her skills in science and medicine make her a miracle worker. She can easily concoct new drugs with various mind-altering and physiological effects. Just as easily, she can graft fully-functional prosthetic limbs to a parapelegic. However, Tina’s heart is black and cold. She wants nothing to do with improving the human condition – just her family’s.

Tina started as a surgeon for her father and his associates. Soon, she began designing cybernetic bodyguards and enforcers. She can build an entire army from nothing more than a DNA sample. She has plenty of volunteers willing to be enhanced. However, Tina desires to “perfect” her creations.

She wants expendable super soldiers for every possible combat situation. Volunteers are no good because they maintain free will. Tina needs slaves to prove that her psychotropic drugs and psychological conditioning are effective. She decided on re-animating the dead and dying.

Tina is known as “Dr. Menudo”. Menudo is the Spanish word which translates as “medley” or, more appropriately, a mixed soup. Along with being the physician to some of the world’s most notorious villains, she is one of them. She conducts experiments in re-animation and cybernetics outside of the Mendoza Cartel’s “official” business. Though her first loyalty is still her family.

Dr. Menudo funds her experiments independently of her father’s dealings. Some cyborgs are original for research. Others, she designs and builds for any client who can afford her. She tracks the success of her creations meticuously. Her designs are proprietary. Any client who dares try to steal them meets a horrible fate. When possible, she has the offender’s body delivered to her so she can resurrect him as one of her killing machines.

Tina waits for a leader. One whom she believes will be smart and strong enough to conquer the world… and hold on to it. For her experiments are an extension of her grandfather’s legacy – the ascension of the Ãœbermensch. Her creations will serve in that army.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 54 – Bounty Hunter

For my first entry, I designed a custom Companion. The young Moby Dick is nothing special just a test. Think of his story as a prequel to Captain Ahab’s saga of obsession and revenge.

HMS Bounty Hunter: Thar she blows… Yeeeeeaaaaaarrrrgh!
    AtomicPunk-HmsBountyHunter.PNG

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 54 – Bounty Hunter

Webster’s defines a bounty as “a payment to encourage the destruction of noxious animals.”

The Captain is offering a seven day pass to Saigon to whomever takes out Field General Trinh Tien Bay.

See you in a week.

Sniper
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/08/AtomicPunk-Sniper.png

Close-up
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/08/AtomicPunk-Sniper_cu.PNG

HeroMachine 2.5
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/08/AtomicPunk-Sniper_hm25.JPG

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.