The Reactor Core (The Atomic Punk’s Archive)

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery The Reactor Core (The Atomic Punk’s Archive)

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 492 total)
  • Author

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 63 – Taurus

Another Pose Recipe. John Bull is a character in my meta-verse. The “real” John Bull is a character similar to America’s Uncle Sam. He is a rallying cry and symbol of patriotism (or, jingoism, depending on your bent).

My John Bull is a multi-generational hero. His first appearance was during the Crimean War, which is often considered the first “modern” war. Ever since, John Bull has operated in every major British expedition. He operates as a saboteur, an infiltrator, a double-agent, and liberator.

Many suspect that he is a special MI-5 agent. The British government denies that he exists. Some believe that the John Bulls are a lineage of knights in direct service of the Royal Crown, actual Knights Templar, Masons or another such secret society. Still others believe that John Bull is a mercenary outfit. Those who have encountered John Bull on both sides agree that he operates and fights with a “signature style.” Which leads to rumors that John Bull is an immortal.

All the John Bulls dress in black with the Union Jack on their right shoulder. They also carry a cane that some believe is actually an ancient royal scepter. The cane itself is said to possess magic, shoots lasers, releases smoke or gas, etc. John Bull does use it as a weapon, for defense, and even as leverage for swinging.

John Bull (World War II)
    AtomicPunk-JohnBullWwii.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Professional Bullfrog Riders (PBFR). Frogs have nothing to do with Taurus. I’m just a huge fan of the real Professional Bull Riders.
    AtomicPunk-PBFR.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Final entry: Theseus versus the Minotaur

Labyrinth
    AtomicPunk-Labyrinth.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 64 – Legionnaire

The challenge was to create a character who could be a member of DC’s 24th-Century team of meta-teenagers – “The Legion of Superheroes.”

I used a couple of more Pose Recipes for this contest. Trying to get a better read of the techniques used to create them, particularly masking. Taking a moment to thank those who post Recipes on the HeroMachine 3 Custom Items Archive. They are great time-savers and learning tools.

No backstory, but his powers are plasma manipulation and teleportation. I like how the aura of his portal turned out.

Phantom Boy
    AtomicPunk-PhantomBoy.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-PhantomBoy_cu.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

No background story just a quick Pose Recipe. Obviously. he has the power of flight.

Kosmik Kid
    AtomicPunk-KosmikKid.png

Klose-up
    AtomicPunk-KosmikKid_cu.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

No backstory with obvious powers. ElectroLass is one of my favorite designs. She has pulp futuristic look. The electricity between her hands was originally white to keep with the color-scheme. Glad I went with yellow. Her eyebrows are rather tiny and flat. I have since incorporated ElectroLass into the history of my meta-verse but have yet to write her background.

ElectroLass
    AtomicPunk-ElectroLass.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-ElectroLass_cu.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

A return to writing. At first, I thought the character contrasted too much with the background. They work well together. Like she is standing on a theater stage. I really like the background, one of if not my favorite.

Her eyes are supposed to be looking into her hands. But, hey, she’s an alien in a psychic trance. How do we know how her eyes are supposed to fix. http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

And her belt is rather plain.

Oracle Girl: Vision of Venus
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/10/AtomicPunk-OracleGirl-1.png

Close-up
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/10/AtomicPunk-OracleGirl_cu.png

Backstory
    Pa’ewl Jo’ar is a young Venutian seer. The Sisters of Sol discovered early that she had powerful visions beyond those of the beautiful oceans of Venus. It was decided that Pa’ewl would go to earth. There, her powers would help defend the entire galaxy.

The Legion of Super-Heroes welcomed Pa’ewl, who prefers her adopted earth name “Oracle Girl.” She is able to foresee danger on a cosmic scale. Oracle Girl is a positive force and spiritual being. She knows that the future that she sees is changeable. She is openly curious about human beliefs.

Oracle Girl is also telepathic. Unfortunately, she is not able to always correctly interpret the thoughts of non-Venutians. Oracle Girl is a neophyte developing her powers through meditation and practice. She is mildly psychokinetic, able to lift books, apples, and other small objects. If desperate she can “throw” a pen or a knife from a table.

Legatus
    Participant

A green-skinned hottie … nice

Kaylin88100
    Participant

How did you get the cool effect on the background where – I think – the lines seem to be slightly off? Cool

Weilyn

Pa’ewl Jo’ar and the background look great!

Is Earth being grabbed by a tentacle?

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Thanks, guys. I tweaked the transparency of the Items in the background. The glow is the color showing through.

Weilyn, yes, the tentacle is grabbing the earth like in one of Oracle Girl’s visions.

Final entry and a surprise win. The metas in the Legion of Super-Heroes get their powers from within. They don’t use technology and are all human or humanoid. Why not go in the complete opposite direction with a non-human technology-based character. Plus, a well-rounded team has a scientist / researcher.

Irony is, I went for an incredibly simple design. Something that was tacked together with the obligatory chest insignia. To be honest, look at how mass-produced and thoughtless a lot of comics and cartoons are. The characters are simply cranked out of a mill to sell stories and toys aimed at high energy kids with short attention spans. Especially the delightfully tacky pulp of the 1940s and 1950s. In fact, “Lepus” is the Latin word for “rabbit” and “Arneb” is a star in the Lepus constellation. “Arneb” is the Arabic word for “hare.”

What won Jeff over was not the design by itself but his story. Which I enjoyed writing. Lepus and Oracle Girl are what drive the storyline of my Legion of Super-Heroes. The five members together are their own team. I had a lot of fun creating them.

My prize for winning this Character Contest was the stegosaurus companion. Jeff went on to add a whole Dinosaur section to the Companions. Way cool!

So, here he is. The prize-winning rabbit, Lepus of Arneb.

Lepus of Arneb
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/10/AtomicPunk-LepusOfArneb.png

Origin
    Standing on earth, look to the constellation of Orion. Move your eyes directly south. Should the inhabitants wish it, there you will find the Arneb solar system. The Arnebians are semi-pedal lagomorphs. They are timid, but highly intelligent. They are masters of interstellar travel.

Their technology is a fiercely guarded secret. The galaxy would be open for plunder should it fall into the clutches of evil. Knowledge of its existence has spread. The peaceful Arnebians have gone into isolation. They cloaked their world, shut off all communication to the outside, and destroyed their trans-dimensional “rabbit holes.” Stranding thousands of Arnebian colonists and explorers.

Separated from his family, a young Arnebian named Lepus was found by earth’s mightiest defenders, the Legion of Super-Heroes. He joined them as their interstellar guide and research scientist. Lepus is able to transport the Legionnaires through trans-dimensional portals. However, without beacons, he relies on interstellar maps and calculated guesses to plot courses. Often having to “hop” to destinations. Sometimes, he is not able to use the exact same route back to earth.

Being an Arnebian, Lepus is inquisitive and resourceful. He is also skittish. This was a problem for the Legion at first. Lepus would lead them to strange worlds only to flee at the first sign of trouble. Leaving the heroes stranded.

Lepus has grown to trust the Legionnaires and their ability to protect him. He is a budding scientist, always building and refining various gadgets. As with all Arnebians, he is a pacifist. His creations are defensive, such as shields and nets.

The Arnebian is also homesick. He spends most every waking hour of free time searching for the beacon home. Lepus also knows that there are others in diaspora. He fears that those who wish to possess Arnebian technology seek them as well. When he can, Lepus tries to rescue his people before evil can find them. With the help of his fellow Legionnaires, he will find a way home.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Character Contest 65 – Gemini

Rather than focusing on the twins aspect of this Zodiac, I went more for “duality” and “complementary.” What better place to find these themes than in mythology? In Norse tradition, the ravens Huginn and Muninn are companions of Odin. Their names in English are respectively “Thought” and “Memory.” They fly throughout Midgard (earth) then report to the All-Father what they see. Odin has two other companions. Wolves named Geri (“The Ravenous”) and Freki (“The Greedy”).

For Huginn and Muninn, I went with a contrast of modern, represented by the city, and the natural, represented by the waterfall. Odin’s spear separates the scenes. Yes, there is no reflection in the water. That was deliberate. These are supernatural entities.
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/10/AtomicPunk-HuginnMuninn.png

For Geri and Freki, I went with a contrast of the futuristic and the paleolithic. Imagine how impossible it would be for O.D.I.N., the mech, to befriend and train a pair of stegosauri!
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/the-atomic-punk/2012/10/AtomicPunk-OdinGeriFreki.png

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Paternal twins, professional surfers, and goodwill ambassadors. A fun piece and an experiment with scale. I posted the background in the Custom Items Archive.

Trinidad & Tobago
    AtomicPunk-TrinidadTobago.png

AtomicPunk-Trinidad-Tobago.png

Weilyn

Hugin and Munin are mind blowing!http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-smileys/sf-surprised.gif
    Awesome job!

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Thanks, Weilyn.

Final entry. Another set of paternal twins and a cautionary tale for weary travelers.

Manushya
    AtomicPunk-Manushya.png

Close-up
    AtomicPunk-Manushya_cu.png

Story
    “Welcome, mighty warrior, to the Indus Valley. You have traveled far from… where you say? Europa? Ah, Macedonia. You are a soldier of the great general Alexander!

“Please, accept my hospitality, stranger. I am Manushya. I live just across the bridge with my brother. Don’t worry, he is laying a trap to catch dinner. We won’t see him until later.

“Sit, sahib. Let me entertain you with a local legend. That of the Rakshasa. He is a rapacious demon who feasts on unsuspecting travelers. Though he is generous enough to share with his twin sister, the Rakshasi.

Manushya-Rakshasi…”

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.