Herr D's CFLs

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Herr D's CFLs

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 639 total)
  • Author

Herr D
    Participant

Land, sea, and air. He belongs to all and yet to none.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-Hybrid_zpsb398706b.png

Herr D
    Participant

Jeffy knew that the number of shots fired at a man’s funeral was more important than the number of people crying. What he did not know was that this was the first of four flags he would see folded personally before one was folded for him.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-FirstFlagForJeffy_zps9840b4d2.png

**I wish I could believe that the human soldier would someday become an obsolete and peculiarly horrific idea.

Vampyrist
    Participant

That is a very powerful image.

Herr D
    Participant

@Vampyrist said:

That is a very powerful image.

Thank you. I was very much hoping so. I needed a hug every time I worked on it. And I’ve never even BEEN to one of those ceremonies. I hope two pics counts as a blue period and I can move on to happy stuff now. –My intention was to make myself MAD, to see if it would help the funk I’ve been in, by carefully noting that the flag-folding ceremony is believed to be ‘banned.’

Obviously it didn’t work.

Herr D
    Participant

This is a predator from the binary system GL450926. Their planetoid belt is not a belt, per se, because the freakish orbit is in an ellipse approximately equidistant from both suns on a constant basis. The result is that the planetoids never get more than a standard M-class planetary diameter apart. So this shattered planet just keeps orbiting, and more than ninety percent of it’s mass can keep a minimal atmosphere. Nothing roosts for long, because if it does, it either revolves with the planetoid it’s on to the wrong sunside and chars or tumbles with the planetoid to the parts of the atmosphere that freeze solid. Most of them can carry their young to another planetoid or bury them deep enough that the volcanic activity can maintain them. Naturalists’ tags have essentially proven that good timing is not an inheritable trait.
    Tourists usually call these predators ‘scarbirds’ because they constantly tear furrows to sharpen their talons.

Uh. I can inform you that luggage is NOT sturdy enough to survive them.

The prey are Bloogeyfubbers, essentially the local equivalent of fruitbats. Of course, the fruit (Tradsh) crawls, and it’s vines are like razor wire–so by extension, everyone should understand that all tourists were required to demonstrate proficiency with armored spacesuits and chemical repulsors.

I only went back outside to get the remains of the luggage I dropped between shuttles.

According to Universal Biologic, system GL450926 is one of only SEVENTEEN in all known space where species have developed with their movable mandibles at the TOP of their heads with a special dislocatable joint. Crashing thus can protect the head more efficiently, the joint popping back in with a flick of the head. Scarbirds also have a sort of ratcheting action on their talon joints as well. If they get too damaged, they dislocate them, rotate them to another ‘setting,’ and carry on while healing.
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-Scarbird_zps2a82ec24.png

Herr D
    Participant

The Galactic Piloting System. Avoids collisions and hazards and pilots quickly and efficiently. It was a landmark legal battle that was only settled when the species trademarked as the Playback Worm was discovered to be HEALTHIER in the manufactured kit than any discovered in the wild, to live longer, and, when dying of old age, to have brains indicative of a perfectly happy life.
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-PlaybackWorm_zpsd95c8362.png

. . . but then, they watch movies all day, right? Pretty good life for a worm.

Hammerknight
    Participant

It is hard to find the words to describe your art, so I’ll just say great job.Cool

Herr D
    Participant

Thank you, HK! A picture being worth 1000 words generally, if mine has no appropriate valuation to scale–maybe I could call them PRICELESS? Woohoo!Wink

Herr D
    Participant

Pitch was never well-liked. He didn’t look like a good guy. Even after his infamous battle with the Berg-o-meisters (shown,) people just never, well–WARMED to him. Witnesses reported him disappearing near an active volcano. No one has seen him since.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-Pitch_zps37e5115a.png

He IS expected to return. After all, his holdings are legally protected against ‘going inactive.’ That low-toxin refining formula is still too expensive to replace most of the industry, but it’s making him money. Only HE would have come up with a combination of immersion of igneous rock in the crude itself to catalyze the process and make tougher plastics at the same–

Uh. Wait. Isn’t that what he said HIS composition was? Maybe he’s getting, like, a crude magma makeover? Gross.

Herr D
    Participant

Just a couple out celebrating the anniversary of their first play-hunt.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-JustMaimed_zps27f23709.png

Good to keep those occasions in mind.

Herr D
    Participant

Hadji learned snake charming as a penniless homeless orphan. A local man kicked him around, blinding him one night in a drunken rage. Then Hadji lucked into a job. He uses his skills, is never looked down on for his handicap, and is NEVER bullied. People mostly leave him alone, which he vastly prefers.
    This is Hadji’s new job.
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-HadjisNewJob_zpsb27d7154.png
    Finding one’s niche is an enviable thing. I’ve always felt like tess-duodecahedron in a round hole. Maybe someday I’ll find mine, and I’ll be lucky enough for it not to involve anything I can’t accept (Wouldn’t have to be blind to.) For now, I find HM3 the best way to socialize with my ridiculous schedule, alien perspective, highly variable sense of humor, random-length attention span, strait-jacketed muse, and Monty Python temperament.

Herr D
    Participant

I just heard from a source I’m not sure of that I can only describe clearly what is furthest from me. That strikes me as an objectivity problem, and very possible, not to mention likely.

Hadji, above, IS extremely unlike me. Was I clear about him and vague about myself? Personally, I’m guessing I was just WORDY about myself. Opinions?

Herr D
    Participant

Inspired by a certain fish story to try b & w, even if I don’t enter my usual contest, I did this:

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u438/jamais5/2013hm/HerrD-ThenToNow_zps3c9b0b23.pngA semi-Escherian progression.

CantDraw
    Participant

In response to post #147, I think any art we create says something about ourselves. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Also, it’s not always what the picture looks like, but it might be the process or the style that reveals a piece of the artist. IMHO, the best art is the most vunerable and combines process, style and the visual. Personally, I’ve yet to acheive that place.

On a side note, I may not always get what you do, but I look forward to seeing what you have next.

Herr D
    Participant

Thank you, CantDraw. I think you’re right, btw, abt the best art in principle. In practice, I’d have to say it has all those things plus the skill that comes of ‘rehearsal’ without the apparent loss of spontaneity.
    — In that sense, I’d say the best artist is like a ghost. Endlessly reliving that moment (doing a study, test batch,) that feeling that must be conveyed, can seem like an eternity of haunting. The process of conveyance would be working out one’s unfinished business. The separation of artist from art would be moving on to the next life (or piece.) Leaving an echo of yourself behind would be inevitable if you have REALLY done all that. Let’s move on to our next death, shall we? Wink

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 639 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.