Suleman's creations

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Suleman's creations

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 388 total)
  • Author

Suleman
    Participant

Thanks!
    Yeah, I figured he was pretty brash because of his sumo star status and stepped on some toes when he joined the gang. That’ll get your fingers cut in a jiffy.

Suleman
    Participant

Here’s a posing sketch I made. The character is supposed to be a vampire monk, Dungeons And Dragons style, but don’t let that distract you.
    monk-sketch-2.png
    It’s still pretty early in development, but do you have any ideas on how to make the pose better? Is the perspective looking alright? How about that back foot? It’s sort of bothering me.

Suleman
    Participant

I altered the pose a bit and tried out some different hands. Now I guess I just need to figure out what a he would wear.
    Any vampire monks in the audience?

monk-sketch-5-square.png

Stulte
    Participant

I’m no fighter, but it seems to me that most fighting stances would have the back foot turned at a 90 degree angle from the other, rather than having both feet facing opposite directions.

Here are som pictures I found for reference.
    http://static.musictoday.com/store/bands/3129/product_medium/XLAM0008.JPG
    http://www.sourcepics.com/images/full/24733679-african-american-man-in-a-fighting-stance.jpg
    http://www.laurinshorinjiryu.com/images/HASSO%20KAMAE.JPG

Also, the back leg seems a smidge too small to me. Could be wrong, though.

Apart from that the pose is pretty freaking epic. Mind sharing the text when you’re staisfied with it?

Stulte
    Participant

Aw, too slow again.
    The pose looks great now! The original hand fits best, in my opinion.

As for what he could be wearing?

The blood of his enemies, perhaps?

Suleman
    Participant

Cool! I’ll start working on the details soon. Shading, battle damage, tattoos, whatever.
    monk-feet-hands-2.png

Suleman
    Participant

I couldn’t think of anything else in particular to add, so he will remain bald and shirtless for the rest of his days.

Here’s the final version with some shading:
    monk_shading.png

Here is a picture that demonstrates where I used masking to make the pose work:
    monk_masking.png

And, finally, here is the code for the character.
    Download monk_final.txt

Stulte
    Participant

Great end result! I think he really cool bald and shirtless. Sometimes less is more, which also goes for you subtle use of shading. Nice work!

Keric
    Participant

@Stulte said:

Great end result! I think he really cool bald and shirtless. Sometimes less is more, which also goes for you subtle use of shading. Nice work!

I do agree he’s really cool bald and shirtless, but IF you want to put him in a shirt, I’d go with a Sholin (sp) style one sleeve cross body shirt in another color than orange.

CantDraw
    Participant

Excellent pose!

Suleman
    Participant

Thanks, dudes!
    I tried giving him a shirt, and, well, it was hard enough to make the pose with just the body parts. As usual, the clothes are even harder. They’re just all intended for the basic torso, not the angled one.
    monk-shirt.png

Suleman
    Participant

I realized I actually had a character I could use this pose for. So I did!
    Shin_Shen_3.png
    Shin, of the Shen brothers. A devastating warrior, who is feared for his martial prowess and strength even in a world where magic is commonplace. Unfortunately, he is arrogant, short-tempered and easy to fool.

I also made a version with slightly different colors for the tattoos. I’m having trouble deciding between them.
    Shin_Shen_4.png

Stulte
    Participant

That is really freaking cool! Interesting how the change in expression does so much for the character’s overall appearence.

Personally I think the second version looks better, but I can’t really explain why…

Suleman
    Participant

Thanks, man. The head area is actually mirrored horizontally compared to the original pose, so the entire character is now facing towards the front hand. That, interestinly enough, also forced me to change the front foot, as it no longer looked like it could support the pose. Just goes to show how changing even one part can affect the entire body and the design.

I’ll stick with the thicker tattoos if I ever feel like tweaking this design.

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Great work on the yakuza/sumo and Shin Shen is badass!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 388 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.