The Soupster’s Kitchen

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery The Soupster’s Kitchen

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)
  • Author

TheSoupster
    Participant

One year on… Hello again, folks. Recently found myself drawn back to HeroMachine, so I thought I’d share what I’ve done so far.

Firstly, Brushfire, A.K.A Hannah McLennan. Edinburgh born and bred, her power is that she can shoot a separate jet of combustible liquid from each of her wrists. When they combine… let’s just say you don’t want to be standing too close! A bit of a loner initially, her and Jenny (see first post) eventually end up striking a firm friendship.
    Brushfire-Small.png
    Quite happy with this one, particularly after such a long time! The pose was meant to be a sort of ‘shooting from the hip’ western idea, and I think that sort of comes across. Anyhow, what do you lot think?

[By the way, apologies for the slightly ‘oversharp’ look of the picture. Had to rotate and shrink it in photoshop because when I exported from HeroMachine, it was all at a wonky angle. Ever happened to any of you guys?]

JR19759
    Keymaster

Looking good, nice pose.
    Welcome back.

TheSoupster
    Participant

@JR19759 said:

Looking good, nice pose.
    Welcome back.

Thanks man! Glad to be back, I’d forgotten how satisfying it felt to finish an illustration!

Anarchangel
    Participant

Welcome back.

I really like Brushfire. I’m a sucker for a Scottish character. :)

Trekkie
    Participant

Hello again! Brushfire looks great

TheSoupster
    Participant

Next Up: Heather Lee, an Art School student who has the power to emit and control a destructive cloud which can eat through anything. After seriously injuring a classmate (not to mention a tonne of her work) when the power first manifested itself, Heather was distraught, and withdrew into herself for months. Eventually, however, Josh (see below) found her, and through his guidance and support he showed her she could control her power, even going so far as using it for good. Now an expert sculptor, Heather continues to struggle alongside the others, an invaluable member of the team’s Glasgow branch.
    Heather-Lee-Small.png

TheSoupster
    Participant

This next one is called Conduit, A.K.A Josh Whitson. Josh, a slightly awkward PhD student, is the unlikely centre-piece of the team, as his power is what brought them all together. Josh is able to sense the presence of another empowered human via emotional empathy, if they’re nearby, he feels what they feel. In addition, he can link up the minds of multiple empowered humans into a sort of telepathic conference call. When he is around, the team can communicate without words, a huge tactical advantage.

Josh first discovered his powers when walking past Jenny (see page 1), and suddenly being overpowered by a sense of isolation and despair. This was just when Jenny’s skin had began turning transparent (she was heavily made-up at the time), and as a result her life was falling apart. A few more chance meetings, and Josh figured out what was going on. The story had begun!

Josh-Whitson-Small.png

TheSoupster
    Participant

Hmmm… just looking back through, these three haven’t been particularly adventurous really… No good costumes etc. Very… normal. Right. The next one will make batgirl’s new costume look like something you’d get from a second hand shop.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@TheSoupster said:

Hmmm… just looking back through, these three haven’t been particularly adventurous really… No good costumes etc. Very… normal. Right. The next one will make batgirl’s new costume look like something you’d get from a second hand shop.

Hey, sometimes normal is good. If you can make normal look interesting then you’re obviously doing something right. Personally, I’ve been going off the spandex look myself in favour of a more normal look, so I can appreciate how well you’ve been doing your current series.
    Either way, keep up the good work.

Anarchangel
    Participant

I agree with JR, you’re doing “normal” really well. I wish I was half as talented at doing non-spandex types. That’s all I ever seem to do. Keep up the good work. :)

TheSoupster
    Participant

@Anarchangel said:

Keep up the good work. http://www.heromachine.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys! Very much appreciated, and I’m looking forward to doing more pieces! Quick question… See when you’re uploading to the forums, what size images do you tend to use? Thanks!

Vampyrist
    Participant

Nice work on the least few and I have to agree that normal is not bad, I tend to use more civilian clothes for my characters. Also I use the 500×750 size upload. Keep up the good work.

Anarchangel
    Participant

I tend to use the 800×600 size but that’s mostly because a lot of my designs end up going off the page anyway.

TheSoupster
    Participant

OK, so this one has taken me *forever*. Probably the most amount of time and layers on any drawing! So far, anyway…

Meet The Frog, A.K.A Albert Chen, perhaps the character who’s taken most to his role as a hero. Gifted with an adhesive touch and hyper efficient muscles (letting him run and jump much higher than the average person) Albert wasted no time in creating a persona for himself, training, and becoming the superhero he always wanted to be. Somewhat mocked by the others for his… enthusiasm (not to mention his outfit of choice, which he insists on wearing on missions!), there is no doubt that the Frog is one of the characters most at home with his new powers, and most adept at using them.

The-Frog.png

Two extra things to note: 1) This program, Afloat, for those of you with macs, could be incredibly helpful for posing. It makes any window go translucent, so you can put an image behind the browser window that hero machine is in, and then ‘trace’ the pose through with body parts. I used this image for reference:

2) This is a screenshot of the hero machine window, because export was playing up again, and cutting the head of the character off. Probably because I moved everything down at once at one point. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Stulte
    Participant

That is AWESOME!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.