The Soupster’s Kitchen

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery The Soupster’s Kitchen

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author

TheSoupster
    Participant

Next up, The Villian. He likes to call himself ‘The Potentate’, but for me to do so would be pandering to his egocentric god-complex, so I’ll just call him James Neilson. He’s able to communicate with any technology that uses the EM spectrum which allows him access to pretty much anything he wants, in the world. There’s this thing called the internet, see. I don’t know if you’ve heard of it…

He worked at a facility in Switzerland producing bio-technology that could give the user superhuman abilities, but one evening he found the security was down, and couldn’t resist grabbing a power for himself. Having always looked to machines as the friends he never had, James became a technopath, changing the course of history forever.

See, he’s the source of all of the other character’s abilities, having sent the power generators to each of them, and hundreds more. Though always arrogant, the power pushed him over the edge, and when his new-found hedonism failed to satisfy he realised he wanted companions on ‘his level’, not mere mortals, and set his plan into action. He would bless these frail creatures with power from above. He would bestow them with his merciful gifts. How could they not love him in return? How could they not worship?!
    James-Neilson.png

Weilyn

I love the perspective on his face! May I ask how you achieved that?

TheSoupster
    Participant

Yeah, no problem. I’ll upload a text file of the face too if you’d like (but I’m on my ipad at the moment). So basically it’s just a normal head, but squashed vertically slightly. Then I used three masked circle insignia for the three rounded corners of the chin, and then squashed-into-a-line square insignia to join them up. That’s the outline.

The rest is just masking the left over bit of the head/covering with skin coloured rectangles, and positioning the facial features so it looks like he’s looking up the way. Not many haircuts work, so I just went for a basic one that happened to. Nothing fancy there!

Anyway, hope that helps. That seems to be one of the really good things about this forum, a proper willingness to share knowledge and experience. Glad I could add a small (very small!) drop into the ocean!

Right. Back to final year lasers and optic systems. Fun stuff.

Weilyn

Thank you! It’s a great effect.

livewyre1014
    Participant

good start man…already posing well and bringing attitude to the illustrations. Welcome aboard.

TheSoupster
    Participant

@livewyre1014 said:

good start man…already posing well and bringing attitude to the illustrations. Welcome aboard.

Thanks mate, appreciated.

So… the next in the installment. Esmé Rosetta, a femme-fatale sort-of-villain-but-more-opportunist-criminal-who-teams-up-with-the-main-cast-against-a-common-foe-and-meets-her-untimely-end with the power of pheremone manipulation and retractable ‘thorns’ from her fingertips. Each thorn has a different poison on, and they all do different things.

This one took *ages*. I’m happy with it though. I think I may have made the outfit a *little* bit too revealing (modesty in clothing is a good thing!), but I wanted the whole pheremone-manipulation-seduce-you-and-then-steal-averything-in-your-bank to be obvious. There’s my excuse. Also, the whole shifting it over bug happened again, but this time it rotated it back to the defaults, hence why she looks like she’s going to fall over!

Esme-Rosetta.png

Scatman

positioning and design is great and looks like you got the hang of things !I have a feeling you will take well to this stuff pretty quickly!
    keep it coming!Wink

JR19759
    Keymaster

Reminds me a bit of someone……..I wonder who it could be.

Looks pretty cool, I love the pose and the costume. My only niggle is that she has no eyebrows. Apart from that, you’re doing really good stuff.

TheSoupster
    Participant

My only niggle is that she has no eyebrows.

Ah man, of course! I’ll put them in some other time. Thanks for pointing it out!

The downside of getting to grips with all this is, now I know what can be done with HeroMachine I’m never going to be able to quickly knock out a drawing again… That’s perfectionism for you. *sigh*

JR19759
    Keymaster

@TheSoupster said:

The downside is, now I know what can be done with HeroMachine I’m never going to be able to quickly knock out a drawing… That’s perfectionism for you. *sigh*

Join the club man. I takes me ages to do my stuff. I remember talking to another machinist who said that he often takes a few hours getting everything right, then leaves it over night and coming back to it to check everything before finishing it off.

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

@JR19759 said:

@TheSoupster said:

The downside is, now I know what can be done with HeroMachine I’m never going to be able to quickly knock out a drawing… That’s perfectionism for you. *sigh*

Join the club man. I takes me ages to do my stuff. I remember talking to another machinist who said that he often takes a few hours getting everything right, then leaves it over night and coming back to it to check everything before finishing it off.

Yep Mine take for ever to finish too.

TheSoupster
    Participant

@JR19759 said:

That… Is a very good idea. Splitting it over a couple of days would definitely stop me… I don’t want to say wasting time, but being less productive with revision than I could be with an exam in a week!! That being said, if I start something, I want to get it finished! Stopping takes a lot of willpower!

Hammerknight
    Participant

Remember if you are going to save a character and then come back to it later, save the character and text to your computer also because there has been issues of lost characters before.

TheSoupster
    Participant

Next one… Not got a name for him yet, but he’s apparently precognitive. Quiet and withdrawn, he spends long hours just sitting vacant, save for the times he can be heard screaming, wrestling with… what? The future? Himself? Or something altogether more sinister…

Tried to experiment with the pose with this one, and it didn’t go quite as well as I’d hoped. Nevertheless, I spent far too long on it not to upload it, so here we go. Also, didn’t put eyebrows on again. Sort of forgot, but also it’s hard to get them to look right! http://www.heromachine.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/thesoupster/2012/12/Precog.png

Also, any suggestions for names would be great. He’s from Pakistan, in honour of a friend who’s jetting off back there as we speak, so indian/pakistani names would be great. :)

Trekkie
    Participant

Wow, I love the pose! I think it works really well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.