ONE PART, MANY CHARACTERS contest……

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges ONE PART, MANY CHARACTERS contest……

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 829 total)
  • Author

Herr D
    Participant

T’s’ok! I’m kicking off another one with attached three. Submission deadline 3pm EST on 9/5. To be judged by 9/6 3pm EST.

One extra point if you include or reference woolly mammoths!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Keric
    Participant

Strogonar Amahwae is an intergalactic bounty hunter, he is posing for his IBH license with his favorate (but not only) weapon.

The coat is masked on the body from neck to knee, creating the suit and part of the gloves,

The insignia are clan markings on the shoulders and the face

The hair is over the eye and is the power supply for the suit on the chest!

Attachments:

Christi S
    Participant

Heyall! I’m back! Didja miss me? ;D

Anywho, here’s my entry!

“Manmooth Shaman”
    Far predating their distant cousins, the werewolves, the manmooths were the result of a prehistoric shaman’s spell. Cast to protect his clan during the ice age, it allowed them to take on the aspect of woolly mammoths. And it worked; his people survived through to the great thaw. However, by that point, the magic was so deep in their blood as to be irreversible and hereditary, which is why manmooths walk the earth to this day.

Top and hair make up his headdress, and the insignia serves as the head of his staff.

Herr D
    Participant
    Characterizing this week’s competition: genre portraiture. K=Keric, C=ChristieS
    C’s background was sparse, but enough. K didn’t make one. For backstory, it was actually a lot closer. K made a minimalist blurb, though evocative. C went storybook dustjacket notes. While I DID want to see the clerk photographing Stroganar and hear about the licensing process, I wanted to know more about the tribe, its shaman, and how it stays hidden—do they just get shaggier every winter, or do they have tusk problems? She won the category. 

For Items-story, another tie. Both artists made the items important enough to the picture—one by mystique and drama, and the other by simply a sense of belonging.

The items: Every item was used for one point. Every item was well-placed and belonged for the second point. I’m all about the misuses. I am pleased to see there were no bare twosies this time around. Let’s start with the insignia: As C’s staff head, it actually looked slightly out of place. I had to interpret it as mystical paint and/or energy buildup, and it still looked cool, so it kept a 3. K’s use of an insignia as insignia plus tats – well, ordinarily that wouldn’t have struck me as a misuse. In THIS context, I’m reminded of the military’s practice of putting five glasses pockets on uniforms (one on each limb and one on the torso,) so that if all your limbs are blown off, you can still put your glasses on. It sounds like a joke, but isn’t. What I saw there was a demonstration of the dangers IBH personnel are going to be facing. A military-style protocol of labeling. That item tied.

The top item is where began to get interesting. C used it as a headdress. It’s a good one. Still a garment for a 3. K used it as a top – and then masked it on rather cleverly as legwear and bracer / glove / cuff layers. He used the whole thing once, and then used pieces as other items with a bridging mask. That is actually not the easiest thing to work out. That’s a 4.

Then there’s that braid. The implantation in the top was too good to pass up. C put it in as a ceremonial / magical gem, and K put it in as an Iron Man-style power source. Both of those would’ve gotten a 4. THEN K added another misuse, an ocular implant. Boosted him to a 5.

C edged out K in the Emotional category with a more complicated pose construction. He’s partially braced, be it against the wind or his age or magical pressure or his tribal responsibility. I can easily imagine it wasn’t easy for him.

Bells, the macro stuff—placement was great in both pics, C did some great work on shading and lighting, I’d have given her a 5 if I didn’t think she could do better with outline color on the limbs. K was uneven there, though that might have been the item’s shadow on the face. On top of that, K’s windswept and shredded lower cape looked wrong for an official document picture.

Whistles, the micro stuff—C’s tusk and toenail work was great, for her that didn’t get a 5 for the jar of stars in the snowflakes. That seems picky, now that I’m typing about it, but I had trouble with it. K’s placement of the sword is what drew my attention. It blocks the parallel circle of the legwear. It looks exactly like the kind of thing a bounty hunter would do, not thinking it would make the outfit designer cringe. Realistic touch.

Oh, I gotta say: C? I figured mammoths would go unreferenced here. That’s like the elimination of a few degrees of separation, there. Your extra point was well-earned.
    Pick 3, ChristyS, set a deadline. You win the round.

Backstory score:….K3…….C4
    Bkgd score:……….…..K0…….C3
    Item TOP:…………....…K4…….C3
    Item BRAID:. ……..…K5…….C4
    Item LOGO: …..…..…K3……..C3
    Bells: ……………....….K3…….C4
    Whistles: …….…..….K3…….C4
    Items-story:………..…K4……..C4
    Emotional:………..…..K2…….C3
    Bonus:………….....……K0……..C1
    Total:………....……….K28……C33

Christi S
    Participant

In case I haven’t said it before Herr; I adore your reviews/gradings/breakdowns/critiques/what-have-you. They always have me looking back over the pieces involved n seeing things I didn’t before. Plus, there’s always at least one-or-two one-liners in there that have me chortling lol!

Anywho, yalls items:

Deadline:

9/19 11:59PM PST

Judgment criteria:

1. Composition: The overall quality of the style/technique used in the piece. 2 points!

2. Element Composition: How well the items were used/fit in to the piece. 3 points!

3. Creativity: How well the items were MISUSED in the piece. 3 points!

4. Aesthetics: Which piece I think just has the better overall finished product. 1 point!

Herr D
    Participant

Well, I’m out of time to work on this one, but I more or less made goal.

Dave, of the HooFlop Diver Team, managed to place in this extreme sports event. The Hydrix ramp dive system manages to convert a vertical dive into a running flat dive where a contestant skips across the water like a flat stone by use of hydraulic emitters. He was triangulated as skipping 97.04 meters. The Moth Gliders, Dave’s famous cheering section, are captured in this shot right before a crash landing that caused the avalanche known as ‘the journalist’s funeral.’

*Bowties became stylized hang-gliders, gun parts became specialized sprinklers, and the balloon became the ramp, the platform for contestants, and its outlines masked several times onto the truss as compression fittings. The truss wasn’t a scheduled misuse, but it’s a corset lace . . . I planned to use the bowtie corners as fitting accentuators, but ran out of time. Cheers.

Attachments:

Christi S
    Participant

Well, yours is the only entry so looks like you take this one Herr lol! As per always, love the sense of motion in your piece!

Herr D
    Participant

Dah! I thought this was to be judged on the 29th, and I’m swum out of my tentacles! Uh–try these 3. Due 10/10 at 10:00 EST. To be judged by 10/11 at noon.

One extra point for an indirect but obvious reference to bowling scoring.

Attachments:

Keric
    Participant

A Mardi Gras style parade,  lets the heros Bast and Aqualad to protest for the Aquatic life!

The body is used as a hat for aqua boy, the legwear is used as Bast’s costume!  and the neckwear is used as a collar!

The characters are what I was going for costume wise!

(btw, I was going to use confetti, but I got interupted… and oops)

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

Good piece. Keric, pick 3 and give a deadline. I should add that I definitely prefer Bast’s outfit with the red pendant, but THAT’S a parade! I can’t recall a float being pictured on hm right now, but I picture it winning a float contest.

Keric
    Participant

Deadline 10- 21 ish Depends on schedule, but, I expect by noon…

While there are 4 pieces here, it is only because it’s a right left swap~able.

Best of luck contestants

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

Well, I’ve been unable to do more than start a piece (70+ hr workweek this week and two sick squidlings), so, Keric, if no one enters, post whether you’re giving an extension or swapping items.

Keric
    Participant

Yes, I see no entries, so, I am going to extend this contest and add a theme.

Theme~ Costume

Judging Oct. 31st!

Herr D
    Participant

Yowza! The footthing is the spider torso and femurs, the hat is the caterpillar and red flower, and the mask is in pieces to make the purple and yellow flower. Sorry, no costume.

Attachments:

Keric
    Participant

Pitty there wasn’t another entry,but  Herr D,you have well deserved win!

Pick 3 and a deadline!

Viewing 15 posts - 646 through 660 (of 829 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.