JR’s Characters

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery JR’s Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1,261 through 1,275 (of 2,063 total)
  • Author

Herr D
    Participant

. . . yeah, that nap did it. Somehow I imagined her doing Joan Baez folk ballads, but this works. I don’t know whether my speakers actually DID handle both songs at once, or my sleep-deprived state merged them. Either way, the songs sound a LOT better one at a time–take it from me.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Jeimuzu- Thanks man. The guitar is actually based on one I own. The only difference is that mine has cream detailing, which is virtually impossible to match on heromachine.
    @Herr D- I doubt she’d be doing folk songs, she’s more of a metal head. The first song would fit better as a song she’d have learned because she liked it, the original song was by a hardcore punk band. The second I reckon she’d have learned on the instance of Danni, who likes that sort of music. And to be honest, out of everyone on here, I’d be the most surprised if it wasn’t you who listened to both songs simultaneously, sleep-deprived or not. ;)

JR19759
    Keymaster

No new pics today, but I have got a little short for you.
    May contain assholery, but there are people like that in the world, so what can you do.

“Hey, Rich, another please.”
    The barman nodded as Danni turned back to her girlfriend, who was wearing a disapproving expression on her face.
    “That’s your third you know.” Lili said, her tone matching her face. “Not too much more, I don’t want to have to carry you home.”
    “It’s ok babe,” Danni said with a small smile on her face. “I’m not going to get wasted. I have work tomorrow. This’ll be my last, promise.”
    Lili grunted in acknowledgement, but her gaze had drifted from Danni, now focusing on something over her shoulder.
    “What are you looking at?” Danni asked, peering over her shoulder.
    “Those guys,” Lili indicated at a group of three guys sitting in a huddle at the corner of the bar. “They’ve been watching us for the last 10 minutes and muttering amongst themselves.”
    “Oh great.” Danni turned away just as the barman put a new glass next to her. “You reckon they’re ‘those sort of guys’ do you.”
    “I hope not.” Lili went to turn back to the bar but something caught her eye. One of the guys at the end of the bar had made a gesture that she did not much care for and she wasn’t about to put up with it.
    “Hey, what’s your problem man!?” She shouted over at the guy, making everyone else in the bar, Danni included, start and turn to see what was going on.
    “You are,” came the reply. The guy was obviously just some idiot, blond, ripped, gym jock guy, you know the type. He had this arrogant smirk on his face that just rubbed Lili the wrong way and he radiated this aura of asshole that was almost tangible. “Why don’t you and your lesbo friend there go and do each other somewhere else. It’s bad enough you lot seem to have made some kinda community thing ’round these parts, but do ya have to be parading it all over the place.”
    “Excuse me?!” Lili was in the guy’s face as quick as a flash. “We were just here having a drink, minding our own business, not ‘doing each other’ as you put it. And anyway, we have as much right to be here as you do.”
    It had not escaped Danni’s notice that Lili had her fists clenched, tight. It wouldn’t take much for the guy to push her far enough where he’d get a smack in the face. Not that she would have blamed her, she would have like to smack the guy in his arrogant face. But they’d dealt with guys like this before.
    “Lili, come on, leave it.” Danni put her hand on Lili’s shoulder and tried to guide her away from the confrontation. “It’s not worth it.”
    Lili gave Danni a slightly pained look, but she reluctantly allowed herself to be turned away.
    “Yeah, why don’t you and your dyke friend run off. I bet there’s other….”
    *SMACK*
    The guy didn’t even get to finish his sentance before he was sent reeling away clutching a bleeding nose. Everyone in the bar was looking at Danni now. Her fists were clenched as tight as possible and she was almost trembling with rage.
    “Don’t, ever, call me that name.” Her voice was low and nearly a growl. Even Lili had to take a step back, she’d never seen Danni get this mad, especially over something like this.
    The guy had recovered his composure and, still clutching his nose, was looking for some way to gain back some pride.
    “You’ll pay for that, b****.” He said, raising his fist.
    “That’s enough there son.”
    The focus in the bar moved towards the bar, wear the barman was standing, firmly, with a stern look in his eye.
    “There’ll be no fighting in my bar,” he said, with a steely tone in his voice. “I want you out, now. As I see it, you got what you were asking for, but I’m not having this escalating any further. You can pay up for your drinks and then you’re out.”
    He motioned towards the end of the bar, where the guy had abandoned his drink in his eagerness to provoke Lili into a fight. The guy looked like he was going to argue, but the look the barman gave him invited no arguements.
    “Fine,” the guy grunted, shoving his hand into his pocket and pulling out a wodge of notes. “Here’s ya money. Come on guys, lets go. Don’t see tha point of hanging round a place like this anyway.”
    As the guy and his two friends slopped their way out of the bar, the barman turned his attention towards Danni and Lili. Now that the adrenaline had calmed down, Danni had become quite embaressed, as though she’d even surprised herself with what she did.
    “Sorry about that,” Lili said to the barman.
    “As I said, he had it coming to him” the barman replied, grabbing the discarded glasses from the end of the bar. “But, next time lets try not to go having fights in my bar, ok.”
    “Got it,” Lili grinned as she led Danni back to their seats.
    “So,” she exclaimed as they both sat down. “What was that about? I mean I’ve seen you mad before, but that was another level. You totally decked that guy.”
    Danni smiled very sheepishly. “I dunno, I just really don’t like being called a dyke. It’s what everyone at school always used to call me and it just stuck in my head. So hearing that guy say it it just took me back there. I don’t know how I hit him, I mean, I never hit anyone before.”
    Lili leaned forward conspiratorially. “Well, between you and me, I thought it was awesome. And if you hadn’t have done it I would have.”
    Danni gave an embarrassed giggle and Lili leant back into her seat again and stared down at her empty glass.
    “Another drink? I think you earned it.”

Jeimuzu
    Participant

Wow, that short was emotional and superbly written. You’ve fleshed out Lili and Danni so much that I swear I’m starting to think of them as real people. Smile

JR19759
    Keymaster

If they were actually real, I’d be very scared. I don’t think we want figments of my imagination running around the place, I’d end up like Herr D or something ;)
    I’m glad you like them though. It is surprising how far they’ve come, considering that they started out as throw away characters that were basically rip-offs of the main characters from a web comic I follow. I don’t think I’ve actually invested this much time in any of my characters since I started my Alpha Comics universe idea when I first got into Heromachine in (god, trying to remember how long ago that was) 2008 maybe? I think it may have been earlier, does anyone remember when 2.5 launched? Because it was before then. But anyway, yeah, I was kinda apprehensive about including the sort, as I don’t upload a lot of my prose (for want of a less poncey word), so it means a lot that you like it.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Anyway, after doing the last pic, I decided to do another in the same vein, although this one is harder edged.

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/jr19759/2014/07/Lili-Metal.png

And the song that inspired it (if you want to know what she’s playing along to):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUaQtfnMzdw

Lili: That song’s okay I guess, but why can’t I be playing some Marylin Manson?
    JR: ‘Cause I don’t actually like Marylin Manson, so why would I be listening to him whilst working on a picture?
    Lili: In that case, why do I like Marylin Manson? Why would you make one of your characters like something you don’t?
    JR: Because you’re meant to be an individual, not just a mirror of me. And anyway…..
    (Danni walks in)
    Danni: Hey guys, what are you arguing about?
    Lili: JR won’t let listen to Marylin Manson whilst doing pictures of me because he doesn’t like his music and I was asking him why he made me like him if that was the case.
    Danni (incredulously): Okay. Well, I’ll let you guys get on with that then. Oh, JR do you want a cookie? I’ve just finished baking some.
    JR: Yes, thanks Danni.
    (Danni leaves the room)
    JR: Now, where were we?

CantDraw
    Participant

Most excellent!

Anarchangel
    Participant

Fantastic! :)

Herr D
    Participant

Now THAT’S a heavy metal-heady pose.

Don’t worry about becoming more like me. You’re safely on the way. The first step IS having your characters take on a life of their own. As long as they never cross worlds without your permission, especially to this one, you’re fine.

My four-year-old, in the middle of me explaining that making other people late is stealing time from them, and therefore worth apologizing for, suddenly declared she’d be Dr. Who when she grew up so she wouldn’t HAVE to be sorry. [prideful 3 seconds of reminiscing] Pretty bright for a four-year-old who hasn’t fully separated the fantasies from reality, but not so good for someone sixteen and learning to drive, right?

Someday you’ll have characters coming alive while you safely operate heavy machinery like me. Laugh I’m confident you’ll get there!

JR19759
    Keymaster

@CD & AA- Cheers guys
    @Herr D- I have conversations with my characters, does that count? It’s not just they have a life of their own, but they’re breaking into my life and having a chat with me about it. Also, your 4 year old want to be Doctor Who when she grows up? She can join the club, we have t-shirts (and fezzes. Fezzes are cool).

Anyway, first half of another short story featuring Lili and Danni, this time properly introducing some new characters. Also, a quick question, do you guys think I should create pictures for the family members of our two heroines? I’m sort of on the fence about it.

“I heard there’s a sperm bank or some such place opening over in Kent Street next week.”
    Lili sighed and stared at her plate, trying to avoid her mothers’ gaze. She could feel the pointed gaze as it was obvious that an answer was expected. This was why she hated going over to her mothers for dinner. It was always the same. She glanced around the table, purposefully avoiding looking towards her mother at the end. Danni gave her an apologetic smile from the seat next to her, whilst her brother Jason just shook his head. Then there was Kate.
    “I think you girls should try it.” She said, her voice hitting Lili’s ears like someone driving a spanner into her brain. “I mean come on, it’s not that uncommon anymore, you know, for, like, lesbian couples, or gay couple I guess, to have kids. It’d be totally awesome if you did.”
    Lili tried her hardest not to give Kate her worst death glare. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Jason face-palm over his casserole, but neither their mother nor Kate noticed, which was probably for the best. It was hard enough having to deal with her mother going on about this stuff over their weekly family dinner, but when Jason was around it was made ten times worse, all because of Kate. Lili had wondered what Jason had seen in her to begin with. When they were first introduced Kate didn’t make the best first impression, she seemed gossipy, overly interested in involving herself in other peoples lives and just generally annoying in Lili’s eyes. Of course she got on with their mother like a house on fire. They chatted and gossiped like old friends. And when they were both around Lili at the same time their conversations always turned towards the same subject, Lili and Danni’s sex life, which tried Lili’s patience almost to breaking point.
    “I mean, it’s better to do these things sooner rather than later,” Kate continued, her voice acting like a cheese grater to Lili’s nerves. “Me and Jason have been trying, but we can’t be sure of anything yet.”
    Lili shot a raised eyebrow over to her brother, who was pointedly not making eye contact with anyone at the table.
    “I don’t see why it’s such a big problem Lilith.”
    Lili winced at the sound of her mothers’ voice. It never meant anything good when she said her full name.
    “I just don’t see why you’re so against the whole idea of children. I can accept this whole ‘lesbian’ thing, but would like to have grandchildren at some point. At least Jason is trying.”
    Jason was starting to turn red, but Lili was really getting to the end of her thread. Having the same one-sided conversation each and every week had really worn down her nerves. Why wouldn’t they just let it drop?
    “You know, your father and I were around your age when we had you….”
    “WILL YOU JUST SHUT UP ABOUT IT!”
    Lili threw herself to her feet, slamming her hands onto the table and causing everyone to start.
    “I’ve told you enough times, I don’t want to have children yet. Why can’t you understand that simple concept?”
    It took a few seconds for the shock to leave her mothers face, but the look that replaced it was a look that Lili didn’t want to see.
    “You don’t want to have children yet?”
    A shudder traveled down Lili’s spine, as her mother leaned forward, hands clasped together, a hopeful, almost greedy look on her face.
    “Does that mean you plan to have children at some point in the future?”
    “I…. what? I don’t…. I don’t know.” Lili spluttered. “I… just… oh screw this.”
    Before anyone could stop her, Lili had left the table, fleeing the dinning room, slamming the door behind her as she left.

You can find out how this all gets resolved tomorrow. I’ll also be asking another question about what direction you guys want me to take this series in then as well, so stay tuned for that. Your feedback on this series really means a lot to me.

Nug
    Participant

That sounds like something that may have actually happened. If this was television… next we’d see her tossing and turning in bed followed by a dream sequence where she has like 8 kids running around and pregnant with twins or something. ;) Nice Job on the story!

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Nug- Thanks. Unfortunately you are wrong in your prediction, because this isn’t TV, it’s JR’s Characters Thread ;)

But anyway, on with the show. Consumer Warning: Will get soppy. (I don’t know how good I am at writing this sorta stuff).

<span class=”bbcode_spoiler”>
    The room sat in a stunned silence for a few seconds following Lili’s dramatic departure. Once again though, it was Lili’s mother who regained her composure first.
    “Really, there was no need for that. I was only asking a question.” She exclaimed in an annoyed tone. She glared over at Jason with an authoritative look. “Jason, go and bring your sister back here at once.”
    “No, please. I’ll go.”
    All eyes at the table were drawn to Danni. She was wearing a calmly determined look and her tone, whilst soft and gentle, invited no arguments.
    “This is a matter between us, and I think it would be best if we sorted it out together.”
    ‘Well, I suppose that is true,” Lili’s mother huffed, ruffling her shoulders like a bird fluffing its feathers up in the rain. “Do what you must.”
    Danni nodded in acknowledgement and gave a slight smile as she rose from her chair and exited the room. Entering the hall, she turned up the stairs and headed towards the room second from the end of the hall, Lili’s old room.
    “Lili, it’s Danni. Can I come in?” Danni asked quietly with a gentle knock on the door. There were some shuffling noises from behind the closed door, the sound of steps and the handle twisted, the door slowing opening to reveal Lili, her eyes red and make-up smeared and smudged where she had obviously been crying.
    “Hey.” Lili’s voice was raw and almost choked. She opened the door wider and allowed Danni into the room.
    “It’s been a while since I’ve been in here.” Danni said, glancing around the room, trying to make light conversation. The walls and cupboards were plastered in old band and comics posters, the bookcase and shelves were practically bare, as all of their contents had been moved to the apartment they both now shared.
    “Heh, no, I guess not,” Lili said with a faint smile. She sat down on the bed, with Danni joining her a few seconds later. “Must have been shortly after we first started dating.”
    “Mmm,” Danni murmured, as she slowly put an arm around Lili’s shoulder in a comforting fashion. Lili instinctively leaned into the embrace, taking the comfort that was offered.
    “I guess you’re gonna ask about what happened down stairs?” She muttered as Danni rested her head upon her crown, giving her a small kiss as she did so.
    “Only if you want to talk about it,” Danni whispered. “I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit worried about it, but we’ve talked about this before and I know how you feel about it, so you don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to.”
    Lili relaxed slightly, but tensed again as Danni continued.
    “It’s just, you’ve never reacted like that before.” Danni’s calm, gentle voice was tempered slightly with concern. “Kate and your mum have done this sort of thing before, but you’ve never flipped out like that.”
    Lili sighed and pulled away from the embrace, raising her gaze to look her lover in the eye. Danni could see the conflicting emotions in Lili’s eyes, so she stayed silent and allowed her to find the words she needed.
    “I, I guess it was how she mentioned dad.”
    Lili’s words were soft and haltingly spoken. Danni had only seen her drop her guard like this a few times, always in conversations involving her father. She reached out and took Lili’s hand in her own, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Lili gave a sad smile before continuing.
    “The stuff that happened between mum and dad, I was so scared. When you’re a kid, your family is the only security you have and it got torn away from me, so hearing mum just mention dad in such an off hand way, let alone use him as an argument against me, when she abandoned him like that. I just couldn’t take it.”
    Danni gave a sympathetic grimace.
    “I can understand that. I guess it also helps explain why you’re so against having children.”
    It was Lili’s turn to grimace. As much as she didn’t want to admit it, Danni was right.
    “Yeah, I guess so,” she sighed, turning away from her girlfriend and staring down at her hands. “After what happened, I sort of couldn’t face the idea of having another family. What if it fell apart like mum and dad. What if I end up like my dad. I just couldn’t take it. I…”
    Lili was stopped in her tracks by what happened next. Danni roughly grabbed Lili, pulling her into a passionate kiss, which, despite her shock, Lili found herself returning. The kiss lasted moments, but Lili found herself breathless as they parted. She gazed at Danni’s face, wondering if she would ever find herself getting used to that feeling.
    “Lili, trust me, I’m not going anywhere. You don’t need to worry about ending up alone, because I’m always going to be here for you.”
    Such was the conviction and raw emotion in Danni’s voice and gaze that Lili was taken aback. She felt her heart swell as she processed those words. This time it was her turn to kiss Danni, a kiss that was no less meaningful or passionate as the last, or even their first. The couple fell back onto the bed, still locked in their passionate connection.
    “I know,” Lili whispered as they parted. “I know you will.”
    “I love you.”
    “I love you too.”
    As they lay on the bed, basking in their feelings, a thought crossed Lili’s mind.
    “Danni?” She asked tentatively, rolling onto her side so she could see her partner.
    “Yes babe,” Danni answered, glancing down at her companion without moving, her eyes twinkling with a passionate energy that Lili couldn’t help but adore.
    “When we talked about the whole child thing, it was always me saying that I didn’t really want kids and you would then agree with me.” Lili said thoughtfully. “You never really told me what you think about it.”
    “Ah.” Some of the sparkle from Danni’s eyes faded as she gazed up at the ceiling, trying to piece together her thoughts. “I… it’s not that important really.”
    “It is important to me.”
    This time it was Danni’s turn to be taken aback by Lili’s words. She turned her head to face the other woman and saw the serious look on her face.
    “I…” Danni sighed. “Please don’t be mad.”
    “You actually do want to have children.” Lili sat up, no longer looking at Danni, instead concentrating on the empty bookshelf across from the bed where they were sitting.
    “I didn’t want to say anything because you felt so strongly about it.” Danni exclaimed as she too sat up. “I’ve always wanted a family and I didn’t want to say anything because I just wanted you to be happy.”
    A small smile flickered across Lili’s mouth.
    “I never said I was against having a family.”
    The words were soft, but they caught Danni’s attention none-the-less. Almost in unison, the couple turned to face each other.
    “I just said not yet,” Lili’s smile was evident. “If I was going to have a family with anyone, it would be you babe.”
    The pair embraced, a small moment they had shared many times before, but one that seemed even more special now.
    “But as I said, not quite yet,” Lili said as their embrace broke. “I’m not sure if I’m quite ready for kids just yet. But if you want to do it, then I am more than willing to go along with it.”
    Danni nodded and a mischievous glint entered her eye.
    “At least it would shut your mum up about the whole grandkids thing.” She said with an impish wink.
    “Leave it out,” Lili exclaimed, pushing Danni playfully away as the other girl stuck her tongue out in a teasing manner. Their giggles carried down the hall, down the stairs and into the dinning room, to their abandoned dinning companions, sitting in a confused silence, listening to the carefree laughter emanating from the room above. But right now the two girls could not care less.
    </span>

And now we have my second question. Would you guys like to see me build off of what is said at the end here? It’ll be in art rather than writing (which will be interesting, I haven’t done anything like it before) because obviously this my art thread. I think it’d have to be Danni if the vote goes yes, because I think it’d traumatise Lili a bit too much.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Also, whilst y’all are havin’ a read, heres a quick Danni pic for ya. Have to thank Nug for the idea for the top.

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/jr19759/2014/07/Danni-cat.png

In before any innuendo comments….. NO. Not unless you want to be sent to virtual time out. (To whom this is aimed, lets just say, you know who you are).

Stulte
    Participant

Very nice!

Nug
    Participant

“In before any innuendo comments….. NO. Not unless you want to be sent to virtual time out. (To whom this is aimed, lets just say, you know who you are).”

Lmao!

I was just sitting here thinking how simple but extremely well done that pic is. I love her facial expression, and the freckles man! She reminds me off my wife, especially with the pixie cut hair! Her legs seem a little large to me… but body proportions and perspective elude me, so it could just be me.
    Once again JR… It took your dirty mindedness for me to catch on to any sort of comment that could possibly be made deserving of a time out. Somebody’s rubbing off on you JR. ;) Good job on that cat to by the way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,261 through 1,275 (of 2,063 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.