JR’s Characters

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery JR’s Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 2,063 total)
  • Author

JR19759
    Keymaster

Ok, last of the series now. This one you can really tell I’ve been reading Tolkien by the design.

Maldarath.png

In the beginning, there was only darkness. But in one moment, something very unusual happened. A light appeared in the black, and that light grew, driving back the darkness, creating life where before there was none and taking the form of land and forming from its soil creatures and plants. It created people, beings of light, near formless, pure spirit, life incarnate. But the darkness fought back. It took the form of a great black figure, Maldarath, and strode across the land of the light in the ancient times of the world, destroying the lights influence, warping and twisting those borne of the light into its own image, creating differences between the children of its adversary, forming divisions between them, taking the most deviant strain under his control and forming the first army of Gremlins. However, the light was more cunning than the darkness thought. It brought forth its final gift, hope, and so the children of the light fought back against Maldarath, forcing his Gremlins into the wilder lands and destroying Maldarath’s body, placing a powerful enchantment around the land that the light could still sustain. Thus was formed EtherWorld.
    However, Maldarath still survived. Weak, barely a shadow, he clung onto life amongst the scattered remnants of his army. For thousands of years he waited, until he was found. A young Elven prince, banished by his own people for dark crimes, stumbled across the resting place of the champion of darkness and Maldarath saw his chance. How easily the Elven prince was suduced and Maldarath found himself a disciple who he could use, magically powerful enough for Maldarath to sustain himself on his mana and start to rebuild his body, and his army, in preparation for his second war. Because now the light had dimmed, the darkness was returning.

ExtremelyEPIC
    Participant

Aw yeah…that is such a cool design for a character. I really love the look of the sword and helmet.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Thanks EE.

Now, this one is sort of a companion piece to Colours Fade. Not in any technical sense, there weren’t inspired by the same thing or even use the same style, but more in feeling. I suppose there are some similarities, gradient backgrounds, same tear technique, but really the connection is meant to be emotional.

My-Heart-Burns.png

CantDraw
    Participant

I’m liking your Tolkienesque designs. As to Silmarillion, I rank it just as high as I do The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. It’s an absolutely beautiful book.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Thanks CD. As for the Silmarillion, I’m struggling through it. I’ve realised one thing when I read a bit to my mum (whose never read it) and dad (who only got half way through) over Skype the other day. The first chapters are basically Tolkien rewriting the bible (more specifically the old testament), reading it out loud I couldn’t help but slip into my “And lo, he did create the land and the sky” voice, plus my pronunciation probably doesn’t help. Plus synopsising the first chapters you basically are telling the story of Lucifers fall from heaven, with Melkor/ Morgoth taking the place of Lucifer. I’m not sure if he gets to the new testament at all, I haven’t got past Exodus yet.
    Anyway, more new stuff and I have to say, WORST. MASKING LAG. EVER! Which is amazing as I’m pretty sure I’ve done more masking than this, but this thing just killed the masking tool. No idea why. I mean there’s only like 60 masked items (around 12 of each wing, plus the 12 gradients for each, then around 15 for the hair), not that much.
    Rainbow-Silhouette.png

Hammerknight
    Participant

That is really cool.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Thanks HK.
    Just a quick update on the Michael Morones story from my recent blog post. Whilst there’s been no change in Michaels condition, the Brony community has so far managed to raise 52k for his recovery fund, which is wonderful. There are times when peoples actions can make you question if there’s any good in this world and then you see generosity like this, from complete strangers, that makes you realise that, actually, there are people who are willing to go out of their way to be kind to others and that is something we should never forget.

Hammerknight
    Participant

That is great news. Yes there is still good out there. I just wish people would stop and look at what all the hate in the world is doing. They have made movies about things going out of control and the humans are destroyed, but no one thanks that it could really happen. I just hope it never gets that bad.

Herr D
    Participant

I’ve wondered, from my own masking delays, whether complexity of shape and other factors like gradient patches slow down the ‘machine–?

Glad to hear about the positive response for MM. Ironic, isn’t it, that bullying in this case was about toleration and friendship fables? That’s like the Department of Defense arresting a pacifist citing danger to the community. I do hope the bullies in question are left with the nagging doubt whether anyone will ever find them worth 52k . . . perhaps I’m hating on haters? Really easy to do.

–Signed that certificate yet? Smile

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Herr D- I think that Masking lag gets worse if you use the same item over and over again (in this case I used around 25 of the same item, so it would make sense). As for the your comment on the irony, I can’t really say anything that I didn’t say in my second reply on the blog post. All I can say is that it’s 52k and still rising.
    Yep, I have signed the certificate (or heromachine signed it, it was as close as I could get without having a printer/ scanner handy).

Stulte
    Participant

Beautiful designs! I’m already a fan!
    Never got through the Silmarillion, to be honest Embarassed

Mad Jack
    Participant

@HK (and everybody who cares):

Well, there have always been “good” people and “bad” people – the only problem is that then again the world isn’t just black and white, and you have to learn to deal with the many gray areas. Sure, the world is full of morons – but there are also many people who stand up against them. And believe me – I speak from experience.

Working every Thursday in a voluntary capacity at the food bank in my town, I encounter any sort of human behaviour on a regular basis. There are those people who spend all their energy to help others wherever possible and expect in return nothing but a little respect and maybe an occasional smile, the people who really appreciate that help, and the people who take this help for granted and treat you accordingly ungrateful. And of course there are also those people who bitch and moan about the necessary of that help in principle – along the lines of “why doesn’t they go working” or “all these asylum seekers come along and carry on as if they were at home”. That’s the point when it becomes disgusting to myself, but why upset yourself?

I do it not for these muppets, nor to feel somehow superior, but because it gives me the feeling of giving back (and yes, sometimes maybe even the selfish satisfaction of doing something for my karma). Thankfully I’m not the only one with this mindset, because the day people stop to help each other is the day the world really goes down the drain.

I’m not sure if I’m expressing myself understandable (especially in English) and I’m sure not looking for your tribute when I write this, but I am of the opinion that mutually help should go without saying and if you expect respect you have to show it yourself. So next time when you see somebody standing on the road with heavy shopping bags (it doesn’t matter whether it’s an old woman or a young guy), why not just go and ask if you can help. It’s the small gesture that makes a start and sometimes it’s already enough to lend an ear to somebody to help him.

[/sermon] http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-smileys/sf-wink.gif

@ JR: Wonderful piece of art! I think the pain of masking was really worth it… http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-smileys/sf-cool.gif

Hammerknight
    Participant

You did good Mad Jack.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Stulte- Thanks
    @madjack- you expressed yourself perfectly my friend. I couldn’t agree more. I’m glad you found a pulpit on my thread to give us such a sermon.

Blue Blazer
    Participant

Good stuff, fella. Keep it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,066 through 1,080 (of 2,063 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.