Creations by Howlingatthemoon

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Creations by Howlingatthemoon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Rick Blair
    Participant

Fahrya the Wood Elf~Original

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Rick Blair
    Participant

Granite~Original

Attachments:

Rick Blair
    Participant

Pteradon~Original

Attachments:

Rick Blair
    Participant

Death’s Lament~Original

Attachments:

JR19759
    Keymaster

Hello, welcome to the forums. I would highly, highly recommend that you acquaint yourself with the forums rules (which you can find here- http://www.heromachine.com/forums/topic/heromachine-com-forum-rules-read-before-you-post/) before posting anything else. As you might have noticed, around half of your posts have been removed. This is because we can’t allow copyrighted characters for legal reasons, so if you could refrain from posting any more on the forums that would be much appreciated. You can post them on other sites if you want, but we’d prefer that you not post them here. All of your original characters are fine to post, and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Rick Blair
    Participant

Sorry. Duly noted. Won’t happen again.

Rick Blair
    Participant

Osprey~Original

Attachments:

Michael Chiarcos
    Participant

Rick,

I like your style. I myself have very little artistic talent so I don’t feel it fair to criticize or comment on personal choices like colour scheme or poses, items choices etc…

What I do comment on is execution and sometimes (very rarely) message portrayed.

I’ll begin from the bottom up…

I like Death’s Lament. One question. Is the orange smoke intended to be coming up inside the cowl?

Pteradon is interesting. I need to know, did you intend to have the boots have different outline tones? Is he standing in shadow? The upper body and lower body are using different colour highlights and the left hand is altogether different from the rest. All in all an nice blending of appearance and equipment. It works well for me.

Granite is pretty close to perfect. His belt which I see was intended to give contrast is slightly off center to the right and maybe a touch too big? A simple transform would make a big difference.

Fahrya is a pretty cool concept. An Elven warrior mage of some type. I like the colour scheme and I like her outfit. The face is perfect and the layering is good. I just have a problem with her hands. By using a different outline colour you are drawing attention to her hands as if they are not a part of her at all. They look tacked on instead of being part of her body. It takes away from the overall good image. This last bit is just my opinion but she’s wearing armour, she’s in forest garb with a cape so why is she barefoot? If she is supposed to be a nature mage and tough as nails to boot, give her roughened feet or at least dirty feet.

One thing you can experiment with is transparency. I find it very useful. When you want something to show through just a little bit you can get there with transparency.

If you look at my Amazon Princess and my Necros Torpor you will see what I mean

http://www.heromachine.com/forums/topic/a-few-old-ideas-a-few-new-ideas/

Herr D
    Participant

Like Pteradon best so far. Keep at it.

Rick Blair
    Participant

Thank you for the input. It’s very helpful and most appreciated. I will definitely be taking the advice and implementing it into my creations as I progress. I love all the amazing talent on display here. It shows great imagination. Love this program!

Rick Blair
    Participant

Michael…to answer your questions..

1) No, I didn’t intend for the orange smoke/flames to show thru his hood but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.

2) With Pteradon I wanted his boots to appear to be a black leather kind of thing, so I used a grey highlight. I agree it probably should have been a bit darker. As for his hand, I envisioned that since it was kind of pulled back alongside his body and with the wings that it would be in shadow.

3) You are right about Granite’s belt and I do plan to go back and fix it at some point.

4) Fahrya’s hands were originally the same outline color but they seemed to be too dark for my liking, so I lightened it up a bit so the lines weren’t looking so thick and overwhelming.As for her feet, I figured that since she is a Wood Elf she would not have a need or want for footwear that might inhibit her travels thru the trails and tree-tops.

Thanks for all the input and advice. Greatly appreciated!

Rick Blair
    Participant

This is Burning Monarch…a hero that makes her home in Honolulu, Hawaii. She is diligent in her protection of the city. In addition to having complete control over fire, she also can communicate with butterflies and moths and imbue them with her flames to help her in the endeavors of protecting the citizens of her city.

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

Michael…to answer your questions.. 1) No, I didn’t intend for the orange smoke/flames to show thru his hood but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.  

That is usually solved by putting some sized and dark Insignia btw hood and lower layers. You might also start playing with alpha values as translucent flames look slightly better.

Rick Blair
    Participant

This is Hellspawn. He is a black magick mage who also can access and control dark matter.

Attachments:

Michael Chiarcos
    Participant

Rick,

If you want to remove the flames from inside the hood of Death’s Lament, simply put the hood or the flames on a different layer using the transform page. Herr D also mentioned the Alpha levels which I referred to as transparency values. Same thing. Transparency can make a big difference. In the case of my Necros Torpor, it allowed me to make it look like Necros was reaching out from the smoke aura that surrounds him. In the case of my blue Amazon Princess, it allowed me to show details that would normally not be visible such as her hands visible inside the fireballs she is manipulating.

Michael

http://www.heromachine.com/forums/topic/a-few-old-ideas-a-few-new-ideas/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.