With great pleasure, I present Round One of Friday Night Fights 3, featuring the following fantastic fights:
As a quick review, there are eight head-to-head contests this week. You can vote once in each matchup for your favorite. The winner of that fight moves on to face the winner of the next bracket, so the first-place finisher in the Kaldath-Asder poll will meet the winner of the borntobealoser-headlessgeneral match in week 2.
Good luck to our top 16! Note that you can click on the image in the poll to see it full-size.
Kaldath vs. Asder
- Kaldath's Kunoichi of "Gal Force": Kunoichihas natural instinctive combat abilities. A highly proficient warrior no matter who her opponent is however she becomes more skilled the more powerful and skilled her opponent is.
- Asder's Wei Feng the X-2, of "X-5": There isn´t much known about Feng´s past. A very peaceful and calm person, respected around the world for his power and wisdom. He is the world greatest martial artist, a master in every single fighting style. He is also a great and powerful swordsman, being able to cut diamonds with a single swing and fight with three swords at the same time. He is the fastest member of the elite. Having overdeveloped senses too, he is able to feel the enemy presences. Feng is so powerful that only his will power can overwhelm his enemy and paralyze him or even knock him out.
DiCicatriz vs. Imp
- DiCicatriz' Synapse of "Quintessence": A mysterious figure unearthed during one of Flux's archaeological expeditions, Synapse was empowered by the science of an ancient civilization to be the guardian of its people. They were unable to release him from his hibernation chamber during the cataclysm that destroyed them and he spent millennia in suspended
animation. Unearthed in contemporary society, Synapse joined Flux as his protector, hoping to make up for his failure so many centuries ago. Synapse has the ability to read and manipulate biological nervous systems, able to disrupt them on physical contact. He also possesses an inhuman tolerance to pain, able to numb the pain centers in his brain. Synapse requires very little sustenance or sleep, going weeks without food or water and months without sleep with seemingly no ill effects. He is a tireless protector and an unstoppable warrior.
- Imp's Patriot of "The Fighting Five": See image.
AMS vs. Marquis Samedi
- AMS' Crimson of "Red Dawn": Master of all forms of hand to hand combat; Master swordsman, prefers her katanas given to her by her father; Marksman with all handheld projectile weapons; Body armor functions as throwing blades.
- Marquis Samedi's Martial Law of "American Imperialist League": The aptly named Martial Law was a US sponsored soldier tasked to maintain the Marcos dictatorship, brutally subjugating any signs of resistance. Although the reign of martial law finally ended with the Philippines achieving statehood, the reputation of the brutal enforcer remained, leading to a number of successors wearing the same costume and fighting for the American Empire.
Martian Blue vs. Frevoli
- Martian Blue's Specter of "Midnight Mavericks": “Flashback of A Fool” (the origin of Specter)
- *Screech* tires peel out. Struggling to focus his eyes, he turns his head to the left, coming to rest against the rain soaked pavement, his partner lie dead, a bullet wound through the chest, the last image he would ever see through his own eyes; “Specter”(s) memory running rampant as he crossed the rooftop quickly and silently, as if walking on the very air; “…Sir? Officer… …You’re lucky to be alive… …were shot in the head… …We managed to remove the bullet…”; Peering through an open window, he takes notice of a drug deal directly below him. Holding his right hand up to his ear com, “…We’ve got em’…”; Feeling sorry for himself, he had all but given up refusing to even get up from his hospital bed, until he was involuntarily dumped into the floor. He came up swing all over the place, “…Stand still you son of a…”, shortly after he tired out and collapsed. “…Now are you ready to quite feeling sorry for yourself?...”, a voice asked, “…I can help you, if you’re willing to let me…”; “…Hold position Specter…”. “…I’ve got you this time, you bas…”, he said with contempt as he recognized the man below; A young boy came running around the corner, sliding as he met the curb, an officer right behind him, “…Stop him…”, he yelled to his fellow officer talking up a woman. The officer barely turned to face the boy, just letting him go on by, before turning back to the woman, “…Not my problem…”. Later on that same day, during a routine traffic stop for a broken taillight, two officers are shot, one dead and the other critically wounded, by the very same boy, now driving a stolen car; “Specter” leaps through the window, his shadow engulfs the man below; “…Now that you can manage without your eyes, and now know a handicap can be overcome, and trained to an advantage, I know someone who can give you new eyes, “…meet my friend “Cog”…”.
- Specter/Martial Artist – Team Role: Infiltration & Stealth / Abilities: Acute Hearing, Advanced Training including Hand to Hand, Weapons, and Stealth, Enable/Disable Robotic Eyes with numerous modes including Night Vision, Infared, Camera Projection, etc.
- Frevoli's Starr Flagg of "V Group": Starr Flagg (aka Undercover Girl) doesn’t have any powers, but what she does have is a very particular set of skills; skills she has acquired over a very long career working with the CIA, FBI and US military. An expert fighter in several martial arts (mostly judo), a talented marksman and with a penchant for disguise – these skills make her a nightmare for criminals. Feeling solidarity with the banned heroes, she resigned from government work and instead opted for freelance assignments. However whilst storming a militant compound in the mountains, she received a message – chaos in the city, police overrun. With that she jumped on her motorbike, and raced towards the trouble.
Papa Krok vs. Myro
- Papa Krok's Takkouri of "Lason Daga Contingency":
Name: Luce Lee
Specialty: Discapoeira / Funk Fu Master
- Myro's Riposte of "New World Order": A doctor-warrior, Riposte's comprehensive knowledge of anatomy means that she can either dispatch you in the most efficient way possible, or patch you up after she's finished you off. Complete story link here.
Vampyrist vs. AJW
- Vampyrist's Bandit of "The Exemplars": Bandit is Terry Holt, a fighter who grew up on the streets. He was once in a gang of superpowered peoples residing in the chinatown of Chicago. When he saw one of his friends murder someone in cold blood, he tried to reform himself. He would help Aegis take down his former friends in his first act of heroism. It would not be his last. He can manipulate the nervous system, which he uses alongside chakra points to defeat his enemies.
- AJW's Cuervo Bronce (Spanish for Brass Raven) of "Metanoir": Bronce was once a professional Champion luchadore in Mexico so he knows all the moves of the trade, as well as some ju-jitsu, Bronce is also endowed with the power of the Thunderbird, capable of attacking with fierce electrically charged attacks.
Watson Bradshaw vs. Tarkabarka
- Watson Bradshaw's Ankshir of "The HydroNauts": One of the Under-dwellers who due to living in high pressure waters has quicker reflexes and tougher skin, he uses a special pressure suit to combat the effects of life in the Persephone.
- Tarkabarka's Taisen the Cherry Blossom Warrior: When the young Sakura McAndrews has seen the death of her aunt's she collapse. Aunt Jenny's was raised her since her parents deaths, and her death very shooked her. The aunty went down to the store only for a box of milk, but by the way there was a gang war. Fired a shot and Aunt Jenny lied to the ground in a spreading a red patch on her chest. Sakura camed for high school home when she saw her aunt lying on the ground. The good high school students whose excellent athletes and fencer, and she played guitar only for hobby, after the death of her only relative was completely changed. In the next two years, she drinks alcohol and used drugs and she only wanted to die. After s riotous night a drunken gang grabbed the girl when she full drunked and they tooked all of her money and the rest of the gang raped her. Sakura lying in her own blood and she wanted to die, but she a little later fall unconscious. She perked up in a hospital. The doctors said it was a superhero who caught the band members and urgent for her to hospital. Sakura in the hospital is rethinking her life and decided that if I can help others whom are also need helping.
Bypassing the hospital, he stopped drinking and drug use. He enrolled in a college and resumed the exercise and fencing practices. In the college Sakura joined by a girl rock band named by Vampire Eat BloodCake. The band became quite successful and the young girl began implementation of her plan. As always on stage wearing a mask she thought the criminals will never know who she is. She painted her hair pink and she wear red black dress and a unique Katana which blade is made with blue steel. She took the name TAISEN which means in Japanese word War. Taisen is very blood thirsty, and never let the criminals alive. Fast Jack saw what she doing for her victims, and he stopped by serious difficulties to not kill the criminal. He offered her the possibility of connection. Sakura's know it her last chance to join the RED EAGLES because she felt too much blood sticks to her hands. The in the EAGLE’s she trying to rule her bloodthirsty, and she try to kill only if she haven’t got any choice.
Strength: Perfect athletic and fencing skills and inhuman speed and dexterity.
Weakness: Blood Thirsty – Never let her enemy alive if they either innocent or not.
Headlessgeneral vs. Borntobealoser
- Headlessgeneral's Sutol of "The Stars": None given.
- Borntobealoser's Mantis of "Hive Force": Mantis is a master of many martial arts, but prefers to use his Praying Mantis style while in battle. Jumping at the opportunity to join the insect-themed Hive Force, Mantis has adopted two unique blades to better become the mighty insect he has named himself after.
Nice group. Some of these battles will be pretty good as they pit some of the regular winners against each other.
Jeff, ill you be putting up the rest of us in a vote off?
Gene, yes, working on that now. As you can imagine it’s a lot of work but I didn’t want the head-to-head matchups to wait while I got the other 30+ together.
Hey Jeff, Not sure if it is a problem on my end, or if it is one of the settings on your end, but after voting on each poll I can’t a vote count.
That’s intentional, Kaldath — I want to keep it hidden until the end. I think it’s both more fair and more interesting that way.
Good luck to all. Very Awesome entries.
Good luck everyone! 🙂
As predicted, I didn’t get through, but oh well.
Good luck everyone, can’t wait to see the results!
Mine didn’t make it by one vote. Well, there was so much awesomeness coming from other entries that I’m not surprised.
Fight! Fight! Fight!
I loves me some Friday Night Fights!
Good stuff all around folks – this should be a lot of fun.
(…and I agree with Jeff not displaying the running tallies. I think that’ll make it much more interesting in the end…!)
There are some tough match-ups here. Including last year’s finalists: DiCicatriz v. Imp. Going to be hard to finalize a vote on some of these.
Hard to vote, but I’m taking my time. I want to compare their current character to the previous character to make sure there is some sort of ‘Unified Costume Designs’ as called for by the contest. Some of them I can spot right away who their character is in the previous round, some are not so obvious.
@Jeff, I actually did have a description for Sotul but my E-mail might not have been the best organised so you probably just missed it. It was:
Sutol – Martial Artist Supreme
He also had his (small) part of the story that was
(Jean) “You’re next.”
Lol, not much more than “None given,” I know. But there it is… Man, I really wish I had more time to work on the stories for each character.
Anyway, good luck everyone! Great job again!
Very impressive, people! You should all be proud of your creations! Tarkabarka, that is an awesome character! The shading on it is so outstanding! And Papa Krok, all I gotta say is Wow! Just Wow!
And Kaylin, don’t worry about it. I was keeping tabs and you didn’t lose by much. And I still think that you used some creative thinking with your characters! Well done!
Well These are the ones Getting My vote!
Kaldath – Kunoichi ( Duh! )
DiCicatriz – Synapse
AMS – Crimson
Frevoli – Starr Flagg
Myro – Riposte
AJW – Cuervo Bronce
Tarkabarka – Taisen
Headlessgeneral – Sutol
Congrats, DiCicatriz! 😀
Headlessgeneral: Yes, I did see that but I didn’t think “You’re next” would make much sense for people 🙂
This is shaping up to be a very tough competition. I hope I can break through to the next round. AJW is definitely going to be a tough contender.
The ones I’ll be voting for:
X-2: Very nice shading
Crimson: Similar to Asder’s, great shading and just overall, a great image
Synapse: I love his mask.
Specter: MartianBlue has just got into shading, and he’s already so good at it.
Riposte: The image has a lot of motion to it, which along with its shading makes it fantastic
Sutol: Similar movement to Myro’s. I also love the conical hat/shaded eyes
Taisen: The posing is brilliant
and of course, Bandit.
okay – I’m gonna say things
Very interesting that DiCicatrix and Imp are facing off again – Also interesting that it seems to mostly be tradition martial artists facing each other – while me and Martian Blue both have our more black ops agents squaring off.
Now for genral praise:
Kaldath – nice dojo construction
DiCicatriz – he looks so mortal kombat, it’s unreal
AMS – sweet pose and metal effect
Papa Krok – cool meditation
myro – awesome fight stance
AJW – nice abs
Tarkabarka – wicked pose
Headlessgeneral – challenger ready!
great stances allround… Starr feels inadaquete lol
Some easter eggs I wanna point out
– Part of Starr’s bio is playing with a line from Taken
– The “message” she recieved was sent via dagger mail
urgh Jeff I can understand why you did it, but the hidden votes are so frustrating haha
@Jeff, I don’t know if it would be too much of a pain, but is there anyway to get side-by-sides with the Gadgeteer and the Martial Artists? I want to give my votes to the ones that did the best job of the “Unified” theme, and it’d be cool to be able to see everyone’s entries together. Plus I’m just to lazy to look at the old entry. 🙂
Faves (No Order):
Specter vs. Starr Flag
Takkouri vs Reposte
Bandit vs. Cuervo Bronce
Ankshir vs Taisen
@Asder: Strong Character but his head looks a little too small to me.
@Dan here you go
it’s a cropped version of my full team pic
Cause they’re all seperate golden age character, I wanted to stay partly true to their original costume, whilst also suggesting unity – so I went with red/blue main with silver/yellow styling. Plus there’s the matching belts.
Jeff: Yeah, the individual stories don’t make a lot of sense when taken on their on. Especially this one since it is so short. I had an idea in my head but I don’t think I put it into words quit how I would have liked.
I have to admit I haven’t figured out a good way to do the whole team yet. Should I just post the group shots for those who have them? And then do that each week? But then, that spoils the surprise of seeing them for the first time each week.
I don’t know, I haven’t been able to think of a good solution 🙁
Well, here are my votes:
Kaldath – Kunoichi
DiCicatriz – Synapse
ams – crimson
frevoli – starr flagg
Papa Krok – Takkouri
AJW – Cuervo Bronce
Tarkabarka – Taisen
Headlessgeneral – Sutol
Almost exactly the same as Kaldath….
I would like however to praise two people:
First Tarkabarka, you really outdid yourself with Taisen. Beautiful picture all the way through.
Also DiCicatriz, Synapse is awesome. Simple but very effective. Dude looks mean as hell.
@Jeff(23): On the group shots, I think you should keep them hidden. I’m with you that posting the whole shot spoils the surprise. I wish we could get something like Frevoli(21) did and get a partial/cropped view so we could see the group “so far”… however, that would be up to each creator do give that to you….
@Jeff: hmmm, there’s always the idea of putting each category teammate side-by-side as you go. For example, this week would have the Gadgeteer and Martial Artist pics, etc. That’s a lotta work though. You could put a link to the other competition at the end of the post so people don’t have to go looking for it.
@Jeff: Perhaps at the end of the contest you can do a ‘Collective Poll’: all five team members together, plus the story. -Though that would be a BEAST to display/program: plus who would qualify? Everyone? Top 16? Just a thought.
It’s going to cool to see who wins after a week: I bet they’ll be a few surprises. -Though I will miss the chase: Remember last contest Frevoli!
@Jeff, I was thinking something along the lines of a thumbnail next to the new character, that we could click on. Since I’m not in anyway a programer, I have no idea how hard that would be for you to do.
Man, if I win, there is no doubt ill lose the next round, ams is just too good.
@ajw(29): I don’t know about that. I would have a hard time deciding between the two of you at this point. Your stuff is good. Don’t sell yourself short.
Jeff, while I’m eager to see the whole team pictures, and would love to see them voted on as teams, I think it’s best to do that after all of the one on ones are finished. We can wait. No need to spoil the surprise.
By the way I admire Papa Krok’s “Takkouri” particularly, not only for what he achieved but because I know how hard it is to pull off.
@VonMalcolm what about it: our match up, or my maid marrian loosing out when my robin won the consolidation bout?
it has plagued me tbh… so close but so far haha
Though forget that, living in the present
So first of all. Thanks everyone the good words.
Second. Yeap it’s now so intresting. I really exciting who parcipate in the next round.
Great stuff, folks! I like that the results are not displayed until the end.
And someone tell PapaKrok that I’m still giving him the silent treatment.
I understand why Jeff is hiding the vote totals, but I must say I am NOT a fan of the idea, I personally like to keep track of how well or poorly I am doing in these polls.
First, thanks for all the votes in the first round!
Second, here’s a possible solution for the character comparison pics.
I made a teaser for my group based on all the marvel promotions I’ve seen recently. It’s quite simple to do, just reload your character and color black. Then build your group shot (I use screen captures with Paint) and presto! As each week comes, you can repost the pic with the appropriate character colored in.
@ams: Your original blackened group shot you posted a bit back did intrigue me!
Some great match-ups
Kunoichi(kaldath) vs Wei Feng the X-2(asder)
Both have very good visuals, but asder’s is my choice, the stories are a toss-up, kaldath has an easily recognizable team element with the white and black, and though asder’s shared cog logo serves the purpose, I’ll need to see more to see how unified the team is visually. In the end I decided to give asder’s Wei Feng the X-2 the benefit of the doubt and thus my vote
Synapse(dicicatriz) vs Patriot(imp)
Though I loved imp’s Machinesmith, and the obvious team element is shared by Patriot, this time I have to give dicicatriz the visuals versus team relation in imp’s favor. Both stories seem very interesting, but I find my interest peeked more with dicicatriz’s Synapse who in turn gets my vote
Crimson(ams) vs Martial Law(marquis samedi)
Story goes to marquis samedi, visuals go to ams, team relation seems pretty clear cut for either. vote went to ams, who is a great machinest for a canadian, aye?. <-Jokes aside I've been very impressed with ams work, definetly one of my favorite artists, a representation of this is made with my vote for am's Crimson
Specter(martianblue) vs Starr Flagg(frevoli)
Specter was my least favorite of my team, seems to be a common FnF thing for me, and he definetly has his work cut out for him against Starr Flagg. Win or lose I tip my hat to Frevoli for what I consider a fairly even match-up. I did vote for my own for preference
Takkouri(papa krok) vs Riposte(myro)
Visuals seem pretty even, I had a hard time deciding between the two, but I finally went with myro. Story goes to myro, as well as team relation. I'm sure I'm just missing something, but I can't make the connection between Takkouri and Groovy, who by the way was awesome. In the end myro's Riposte walks away with at least one more vote
Bandit(vampyrist) vs Cuervo Bronce(ajw)
Visually they're a match, both very good, I ultimately went with vampyrist in the end though. Either story is unique, but I feel vampyrist gives slightly more of a background of the character, why he became a hero. Either has team elements present, vampyrist has the chest belts, while ajw went with the yellow and black coloring. Though I didn't vote for Metanoir in the previous round, he's one I would have had I a few more votes to spare, and unfortunately Cuervo Bronce lands in the same category, but only after a tough choice leaving a vote for vampyrist's Bandit
Ankshir(Watson Bradshaw) vs Taisen(Tarkabarka)
tarkabarka has put a tremendous amount of work in, and it paid off without question as a beautiful composition, one I really admire, but for the interesting factor that captured my imagination I had to give the visuals to watson bradshaw, not because they were better, rather unique. Though tarkabarka's first language may not be english I got the jist of the story and thus feel she takes this section, even though I loved the idea behind Shelby Harris and Ankshir is building off that. Team relation is pretty clear cut for watson bradshaw without the logo I'd have a hard time saying the same for tarkabarka, but that could all change after another member or two are introduced. As much as I wanted to vote for takabarka, watson bradshaw's Ankshir ultimately wound up with it
Sutol(headlessgeneral) vs Mantis(borntobealoser)
Sutol is stellar, not taking anything away from Mantis, but Sutol gets the visual. Story goes to borntobealoser. Team relation was instantly clear to its' predecessor on both accounts. Vote goes to headlessgeneral's Sutol
Machinesmith(imp) & Gadget(martianblue)
Task(ams) & Trell(headlessgeneral)
Crimson(ams) & Synapse(dicicatriz)
I wish everyone the best of luck in the contest, looking forward to the next round of contestants whether I be counted among them or not.
I meant to thank Vampyrist for his comment(#16). It actually surprised me the shading was as simple to do as it was, though it is a bit time consuming. With great competitors including yourself, I figured I’d better step up and try it or get left in the dust, though shading isn’t a necessity it helps to break-up, characterise, and define large areas of a single color.
First of all, bravos and kudos to all. Amazing stuff.
Just a general comment on something that struck me while I was voting: Usually I would see the two thumbnails side by side and think, Oh, that one’s the one. Something about the composition or the colors or the pose or– je ne sais quoi, just jumped out on the small scale. Sometimes, maybe 30% of the time, upon getting the full size image, I would change my mind through appreciation of the stuff that (duh) requires full size to be appreciated. Of course, one must judge on the basis of the format in which the artist created the piece. I suppose my point, if I have one, is that lots of cool detail, no matter how cool, can’t make up for good basic design. Not to disparage anyone’s design in particular, I’m speaking in very broad strokes here. It’s just a phenomenon I noticed and thought might be worth mentioning.
DiCicatriz: Synopsis is amazing! 😀 Fantastic work!
Someone tell me what is word jist is mean. Sorry i look for it but what i find is underestimated.
@Tarkabarka(44): The word is actually “gist” although it is pronounced as “jist”
1 the substance or essence of a speech or text : she noted the gist of each message.
2 (Law) the real point of an action : damage is the gist of the action and without it the plaintiff must fail.
So you might say gist is the most important point of what is being said by someone. It’s usually used to summarize a longer series of text or dialogue in one simple/precise statement.
Thank you. Now I understand the context as well.
I think that Tarkabarka gets the “gist” of what dblade is explaining.
I always learn new things. Internation English is not the same like urban english. And yeah now i understand the “gist”
of “jist”. 😀
@dblade 45, thanks friend. @Tarkabarka 44 sorry for the confusion. I have to admit I learnt soemthing new today, I didn’t know it was spelt with the g, but that actually makes perfect sense now that I think about it.
MartianBlue(49) No problem. My mother laguage is world most hated language. It’s good to me because i practice the english.
And 2 things. I made my all FNF entries and if someone want to see it, that find in my treads in the forum in the 5 or 6 page (i don’t know wich is)
I give the codename and logo because i want some “personnal card in the folder” style.
In the first place, thanks for the votes in this round and in the last one.
@VonMalcolm(20)It´s because of the hair, there is a lot of it, and the pecs are also big by nature. The head is actually 103-103 and the body is 98-98.
@MartianBlue(40) I didn´t want to create a team with the same uniform, because i wanted to do a team formed with different characters with different personalities, with the same objective. For example look at the Justice League, they don´t share the same costume, but that doesn´t mean the don´t operate as a team.
Polls are closed! Good Luck to everyone!