This week's "Power User Profile" features frequent commenter and contest winner Me, Myself, and I!
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life":
I don’t have any good recent pictures (since before I lost 60 pounds a year ago) so I thought that an HM3 image would work as well any other.
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Me, Myself, and I
- Real name: Richard
- Real city/state/country: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Real job: For the next year I will have two. As the Inventory & Logistics Controller for a National Truck Upfitter and as a soon to be owner of a Financial Planning company.
- Real age: 36
- Gender: Male
- Married/single:Married for almost 12 years.
- Online archive of your creations (if any): None.
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created: This was a very difficult question to answer because I like (or dislike) many images for different reasons. Depending on my perspective and criteria at any given moment my best HM art changes. In the end I went with this video, not because I think its my best actual art, but because it best met the goal I set out for myself which was to accurately display a manifestation of one of my character's divinely illuminated tattoo's. That and until this point, I've never actually seen anyone do something like this on HM. In a crowd as creative as the HM community it is rare indeed to do something that hasn't been done before (at least to my knowledge) so I was pleased to have done so.
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Lord of the Rings (all three in one long marathon)
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: Harry Potter. I read the whole series to my daughter. I'm not sure if it's my favorite because of the book itself or because of the quality time sharing it with my daughter.
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Highlander (liked it way better than the movies)
- Favorite all-time comic book character: Spiderman
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose:Telepathy (like Professor Xavier).
- In your leisure time you like to: Role Playing, visiting with my children (that with two jobs doesn’t allow much time for sleep.)
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): I really appreciate attention to detail. I also like really dynamic colors and contrast.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Lack of attention to detail. For example, I have seen some creations on HM3 that would have been really great and the only thing wrong was the thumb is backwards. I have trouble distracting myself from those small details.
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: Try everything; playing with every control. Try masking all kinds of objects and shapes. Most of all, be patient.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: We are all here because we find it rewarding in some way or another. Our reasons are many and varied. Some of us just want to discuss our hobby while others want to improve their artistic skills, etc. Be tolerant of the ideas of others and their skill levels. Try to keep your critiques constructive and listen to others critiques to help you develop your skills. Most of all, patience is certainly a virtue here.
Congratulations! Great job on those tattoos. They look awesome 🙂
loved the video those tattoos appearing looked awesome and using HM3 for animation is a great idea.
Awesome job on those tats, MMI. And congrats on the power user status; much deserved!
Oh, and I see we’re back to the bearded, mid-to-late 30s motif. 😀
That is a sweet animation and a solid character all around.
What’s with the thumb fetish? Every Power User… I’m sorry, maybe another title than “PU?” Anyway, I admit it’s distracting. I’ve done it myself. Maybe under HandRight there should be Items for “Standard” and “Opposite Thumb.” ;9
Congrats MMI! That tattoo animation was exceptional. And good luck with your new career.
Atomic Punk (4): Well, it is a big distraction. I mean, I’ve done it too, and I can’t stand to look at that picture anymore, because all I see is that stupid backward hand.
Actually, when, and I don’t know when yet, I end up having to do my profile, everything I can think to put under the “Character Design Turn-Offs” section is going to be something I’ve done in the past.
Nice job MMI! Love the tats! Great work(as usual).
*Jeff- I am really enjoying these profiles! I think it’s nice to get to know a little bit about these fantastically creative people that help to make this site so enjoyable!
Welcome to the Club MMI, membership dues are collected on the first of the month! 😉 ….
Congrats on the profile, MMI! The video was amazing; I don’t think I’d have the patience to even attempt something like that!
Gero (8) patience was indeed required. I worked on that for a whole week.
Thank you everyone for your comments.
I’m just sad there ain’t any gallery of your art, I enjoy watching these
Arioch (10) Perhaps I ought to set up a gallery. I’ll post a link here when I do.
I actually made a few modifications to the video and added a few details. Let me know what you think. Improvement or no?
MMI (12): I’m going to go with subtle, but yes, a bit of an improvement.
Cool stuff MMI. I agree with your comment on patience to others. I appreciate how this site’s users are friendly and supportive in offering advice and feedback.
And backwards thumbs drive me nuts, too. 😛
A lot of thumb haters out there! The funny thing is that even professional artists make that same mistake every now and then. I know hands can be tough since they bend and twist all over the place, but that’s no excuse since I’m pretty sure there are some hands nearby to use as reference.