Ordinarily I’d follow up last week’s Character Contest with a Caption Contest, but given that it’s Memorial Day in the U.S., when we honor those in our military who have sacrificed their lives, I wanted to do another design contest, this time on the theme of “Soldier”. We’re not talking about the solo barbarian with the giant two-handed sword, or the general with glittering medals, but those in the trenches who do the grunt work, in the tradition of “Sergeant Rock” and “The Unknown Soldier”. Men, women, robots, aliens, animals, orcs, whoever they are, these are the individual weapon-wielders who go with teams of their fellow soldiers where they’re ordered and do their best to make it back alive.
The person with the winning entry as selected by our expert panel (i.e. me) will win their choice of a) a portrait to go in HeroMachine 3, b) an item to go in HeroMachine 3, or c) a custom black and white “Sketch of the Day” style drawing (also by me). The rules otherwise are the same as always:
- All entries must be in JPG or PNG form (BMPs are too big), posted to a publicly accessible website (like ImageShack, PhotoBucket, the UGO Forums, whatever);
- Entries must be made as a comment or comments to this post, containing a link directly to the image and the character name;
- The image cannot have been used in any previous HeroMachine character design contest;
- Please name your files as [your name]-[character name].[file extension]. So DiCicatriz, for instance, would save his “Bayou Belle” character image as DiCicatriz-BayouBelle.png.
- Please make the link go directly to the image (like this) and not to a hosting jump page (like this). See this post on how to get the direct link for most sites.
- All entries must be in by next Monday, when I’ll choose a winner.
No limit on entries this week, so knock yourselves out. Just make them good!
And a sincere thank-you to anyone out there who has a loved one who gave their all while wearing the uniform. We can never thank you enough.