Suleman's creations

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Suleman's creations

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 388 total)
  • Author

Suleman
    Participant

Herr D: You probably posted that in the wrong thread.

Suleman
    Participant

Heromachine progression

Your super-original plant-themed superhero Flower-Girl needs a picture. Decide to use Heromachine! Look at all the options, forget what you were doing and create a war robot with bear arms instead.

Remember what you were doing and start again with Flower-Girl. Use basic pose, skintight outfit. Face looks weird, but you can’t quite figure out why. Realize you can’t find a flower for her to hold, anywhere.

Get frustrated, ask for help on the Heromachine forums. Get five different options for making the flower, including one made entirely out of forearms. Also, they point out you forgot to add ears. Cry a little bit.

Make the flower, as basic as you can get. No forearms. Sigh in relief.

Weeks later, you’ve made Flower-Girl’s archnemesis Beeboy, best friend Tower-Girl and like ten members of her extended family. Realize you might have a problem.

You revisit your original Flower-Girl design and figure you could do better. You try out some different arm positions, make up a new hairstyle by combining existing ones. Finally figure out how to make a character hold an item in their hand properly. Redesign the costume a little bit, use those new shoes that were added in the latest patch, even though they don’t perfectly fit with the original idea. Feel very proud of yourself, post it on the forums again. Get a positive response, but they point out that you forgot the ears again. Cry a little bit.

Fix the ears, AGAIN, also add a simple background.

You look at Smitty’s gallery and finally begin to understand how he did those poses. Experiment. The result looks like a mutilated Barbie doll. Cry a little bit, start from scratch.

While researching posing, you also realize how shading works in Heromachine. You decide to try everything at once. The resulting pose is… anatomically correct, but awkward, and your shading is garish. Still, you learned something.

A week later, you remake Flower-Girl again and you find you’re actually pleased with the result. You remember the ears this time.

You get frustrated with some item category in Heromachine and just start making your own stuff from bits and pieces. Who needs armor, when you can make your own out of shoulderpads and necklaces? Who needs noses when you can make your own out of geometrical shapes? You finally realize why all of your faces so far looked a little bit off and get angry at yourself. You remake all your old designs, including Flower-Girl’s grandma.

Also, you finally pull off a design with a good pose, beautiful color scheme, cool costume design and a nice background, all in one. It only took you ten hours and four restarts, but you did it.

Newbies are asking you for advice now. You sweat nervously and hope they don’t notice how you use the same shortcuts in every design because you’re so focused on other, tiny details that most viewers will never notice anyway.

Start making flowers out of forearms.

Candruth

You skipped over the bouts of acute tendinitis in your clicking finger. Or maybe that’s just me.

You sweat nervously and hope they don’t notice how you use the same shortcuts in every design because you’re so focused on other, tiny details that most viewers will never notice anyway

This speaks to me on a deep, personal level.

Suleman
    Participant

You skipped over the bouts of acute tendinitis in your clicking finger. Or maybe that’s just me.

I have actual literal tendonitis in both wrists now, so I do know that experience. I was just going for a more optimistic take. :'(

Candruth

I guess you’re not a real ‘machiner until etc. etc. etc.

Now we just need those keyboard controls with HM4, right?

Right? (please let there be keyboard controls)

JR19759
    Keymaster

I guess you’re not a real ‘machiner until etc. etc. etc. Now we just need those keyboard controls with HM4, right? Right? (please let there be keyboard controls)

I’d be happy with just being able to type in which layer number you want an item to be rather than scrolling through the layers.

Herr D
    Participant

. . . I was explaining what Cliff meant by ‘Stitch.’ It’s a name from a Disney film? See earlier posts.

Suleman
    Participant

…Gosh, sorry about that. I don’t see the resemblance myself, but if I guess if you guys see it, it must be there.

Suleman
    Participant

While I have not made new Heromachine designs due to my wrist issues, I did commission an image from the wonderful mournfulwizard.

This is based on my Lady Shark design.  It was one of my favorites among my own works, so I wanted to see it made by someone with actual art skills. I think it turned out great, I especially love the colors.

Please check out mournfulwizard’s other works as well!

ExtremelyEPIC
    Participant

I had to adjust my eyes.. for a second i thought that was made with HM..but judging from the talented people we have on here i wouldn’t be surprised if one day somebody makes something look like this. With all that aside..i really like her design and mournfulwizard definitely did an amazing job at drawing her…the colors look reeeeally good.

Suleman
    Participant

My wrists are still not at full health, but I managed to make this, little by little.

This guy is Nicodemus Holt, my character in a game of Warhammer 40 000: Rogue Trader. He is the group’s Arch-Militant (soldier guy), and formerly the bodyguard and body double of his half-brother, the former Seneschal of their ship. Now that his brother got himself killed by the Imperial Inquisition, Nicodemus is finally free from his brother’s shadow and is free to pursue his own ambitions.

Herr D
    Participant

You’re still implying your art skills aren’t ‘actual;’ it’s somewhat cute. While you’re waiting for your wrists to improve, it may be time to experiment with watercolor. Keep your wrists straight during, maybe in a brace. Your fades in heromachine will probably serve as a good reference for yourself. Your art will improve in each medium as you experiment.

Suleman
    Participant

If I had any interest in that, maybe I would. Thanks, anyway!

Suleman
    Participant

Just a quick sketch of what Nicodemus Holt’s bolt pistols might look like.

Suleman
    Participant

So this is Nicodemus Holt’s brother, Petrus. He’s dead now, but when he was alive, he let nothing and no one stand between him and his ambitions. A real piece of work.

He was the seneschal of the spaceship Impostor.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 388 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.