Kaylin’s Characters

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Kaylin’s Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author

Kaylin88100
    Participant

For Christmas, I’ve set myself a challenge: every day of Advent (that’s the 24 days up to Christmas), I’ll draw a picture, scan it onto my computer, and post it here. Here’s the first one. This is Mia:
    01-Mia.jpg
    You might be seeing a bit more of her later. This is mostly a character reference pic, for when I decide I need to use her again.

Ximero
    Participant

Hi, Kaylin! Glad to see you’re exercising your hand-drawing talent alongside your HM one. Keep up the good work! :)

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Day 2. Here’s Mia’s best friend Emily. Sorry it’s so light, I’ll be changing my scanning technique from now on.
    02-Emily.jpg

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Day 3 – Jack Frost
    Decided to try something a little different. This one is also a lot bigger for some reason. Oh well. Interestingly, it was drawn in the same notebook and scanned by the same scanner. I wonder what happened…Confused
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/kaylin88100/2012/12/03-Jack-Frost.jpg

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Day 4 – Snowman
    Different again. I think I figured out what’s causing the size difference, but I’m not quite sure how to fix it, or if I want to. Anyway, here’s a nice snowman.
    04-Snowman.jpg

Kaylin88100
    Participant

I’ve been too busy to post these over the last few days, but I’ve still been drawing them. Here are numbers 5 to 8.
    05-Girl-in-snow.jpg
    06-Elf.jpg
    07-Tree.jpg
    08-Christmas-Tree.jpg

Kaylin88100
    Participant

I thought I’d make a selkie using the new Seal body. If you can’t see the whole thing click the link at the bottom.
    Selkie.png
    It’s not finished, and I’d like some feedback on how it could be better.

Herr D
    Participant

Adding seal spots to the woman half works well. Personally I like a fading effect from body to body. I understand some people prefer a ‘lip’ or ridge of a third color between them. I’m afraid I don’t know what’s easier or more effective overall.

Kaylin88100
    Participant

I thought about doing a gradual transition, but that doesn’t really fit with the Selkie myth, that they turn into seals by putting on a magical sealskin, and turn back into humans by taking it off. I was trying to show her taking off the skin, but I’m not sure how well that works or how to make it clearer.

I’m glad you like the seal spots, I wasn’t sure if they worked. Any suggestions for the background? I haven’t had much practise with them and I don’t think this one really works.

Hammerknight
    Participant

I give this character my seal of approval. Lol

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

haha Smile

Herr D
    Participant

Ouch–I was thinking of the wrong legend. ‘Hide’ a thumb inside the seal skin, then. As far as the background goes, sea is tough. Rocky promontories can be cobbled together for interesting shapes. Embiggened capes and hair do pretty well. That’s part of what I did for my ‘The 2 Explorers’ background. A vague ship shape hidden by fog is something you might do very well, based on some of your pieces . . .

Weilyn

My first thought was, “Huh… it looks like she’s trying to slip out of her seal skin.” (I was not familiar with the selkie myth) so I think you executed that very well. And the spots on her shoulder is a great touch.

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Thanks Herr D for the advice, and thanks Weilyn for the feedback. I’m off to add to the background. Smile

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Revised Selkie:
    Selkie-1.1.png

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.