JR’s Characters

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery JR’s Characters

Viewing 15 posts - 1,426 through 1,440 (of 2,063 total)
  • Author

Maverik1313
    Participant

Your really good at making ponies .

cliff
    Participant

Hey JR
    Playing catch up here from January

Sempi Turner
    She is totally cute. Love the face. Great costume too. Kewl rainbow effect and one big @$$ book!

Doctor Gade Heinriechs
    all sorts of leader look, stern, conservative (for a man in a dress LOL 😀 ), respected. Like the black streak in the hair and beard too.

Cyrus Walker
    First off, totally handsome face and great hair. I just notice the trenchcoat is on all three, so part of a uniformed uniform heh 🙂 and sword and big @$$ book. Very kewl.

Oliver Heinriechs
    Awwwwwwww. So cute, so vulnerable and his little book and with no coat and not even a dagger. And gay,
    “Just what I always wanted. My own little pet. I will hug him and pet him and squeeze him and I will name him George.”

Commander Yarin Mako
    Very kewl and captainy. Love the off the shoulder cape and how it hangs from the bent arm.
    As a matter of fact, great poses on all of them.
    Kewl hat and tunic, and a wicked guantlet.

And man she is ABSolutly ripped!

Halin Kortz
    Didn’t need to read the description to know he was going to be a scholarly type, the face, pose, lack of visable weapon said it all.
    Comedian/singer Jonny McGovern has a music vid that says it best “Sexy Nerd” (probably NSFW if ya look it up)

Kaibai Minamo/Dragon
    Wow great costume. Love the Mask, the shoulders and arms and guntlets, and of course the bare chest and those ABSolutly fabuous Abs! As well as the color scheme.

Yura Illex/Angel
    Great face again. And what is not to love about the feathered cloak? Did you mean to have the bit about the neck to make a heart/angel shape?

Ruma Malaka/The Kraken
    Handsome in a Yul Brenner sort of way. And a great costume design and color scheme. Love the kinda corsety open chest look and the great collar on the trenchcoat.

Zeke Othion/The Shade
    A bit dark for me to see much, but I like what I do see.
    But the face and cigarette is great.
    I recently did a Darkness character that is utter crap compaired to this. 😛

The Faceless
    There isn’t much to it, but it’s SO effective. Doesn’t need anything else. The smile scars/rips and claws speak volumes.

Silence
    Ah one with visable eyes, The Cape and collar is wonderfully wicked, and the pose is kewl. Will say the legs look a tag thick. Great other than that though.

Cute Girl aka Megan Hart
    Nailed it. The look, not the actual gir …. nevermind.
    I actually like her with the scarf too. I love how you also give her a more realistic silhoutte than the super hero hour glass in body. She still has a thinner waist but not AS much and yet clearly not fat, just “normal”. Well done.
    I’ve dressed up and dressed down characters before as well, as well as trying on everything in their closet LOL.
    LOL and there is Skoul saying the opposite of me thinking she has a pinched waist in it LOL

X-RAYted Megan
    IS AWESOME!

JR
    Heh was that what you looked like last year, or was it some artistic liscence? Very kewl costume and helmet.

Cosumed, Colours Fade and My Heart Burns
    Are all three very good. Definately resonates you being in a slump/depression in tone and mood though.
    I can see how the shading could give you some troubloe though. It’s subtle but great.

shall we get going
    came back with a vengence! In more ways than one LOL
    Where would one start with this? The amazing hair, sexy face, intricate tattoos, cocky pose, wonderful tummy, great lighting/shading, beautiful background, big @$$ guns, or bad @$$-ness of her? Oh and do I mention her Power Girl boobs under that binding?

What a BRIGHT IDEA you had!
    Heh! She is SO CUTE!
    And so VERY well done.
    I’m thinking lots of circles and masking were involved.
    I sadly don’t have cable so never see any of the show. Although sounds like I would probably like it if I did.
    I thought of coming up with one myself, but had no idea what/who it would be.

Bright Idea/Sweet Death
    ROTFLM@O 😀
    Brilliant

Bright Idea/Story Lyric
    LOL I have never played Pokemon or seen the show, yet I totally groved on the geek-speak.
    Ponymon: Harmony Version is just too inspired and precious sounding.

Skydancer
    Ah my wife had a character named Skydancer, got it from a character on a notebook she had. So immediately like this Little Pony.
    Your pony is precious! And great background story to, Made me smile big time 🙂
    Aneighme is just friggin brilliant. Must have gotten that from Bright Idea. 😀
    Pegasus from Cloudsdale not sure if you made that up or from the show. But I love it!

Cheesecake
    YUMMY. Love me some cheesecake, and what a cute and well done and backgrounded pony 🙂

Still makes me want to create me a pony LOL

I know you are busy as Moderator, and doing a good job.
    And thanks for putting up with my faux pas lately.
    but can’t see more art from you.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Maverik1313- Cheers, although the ones that are all in the same pose are just recolours of each other with a horn or wings added/ missing.

@Cliff- Ok, you know it’s a long comment when I have to open up a TextEdit page so I can read the comment whilst writing the response. Ok so here goes.
    – Sempi & Cyrus: Well I did explain about the big ass books, it has an enchantment on it so it can store excess magic power, so it increases in size but not in weight. And it also stems from the idea that “the greatest weapon in the world is knowledge” and what better physical representation of knowledge is there but a book?
    – Gade: It’s not a dress, it’s a robe. He’s not an active fighter so he doesn’t need to have a hugely free range of movement and the robe looks much better in a fantasy setting for an old wise man than a suit (see Gandalf, Dumbledore, Ben Kenobi etc. etc. etc.)
    – Oliver: Yeah, the idea was for him to look “weaker” than the others, because at the end of it all he’d be the one to turn out to be a total badass. Kinda like Simon from Gurren Lagann (if you haven’t watched it, which I doubt, he’s a kid with no self confidence who only thinks he’s good at one thing who ends up saving not only the whole world but every sentient being in the universe).
    – Yarin/ Halin/ Kaibai/ Ruma/ The Faceless/ Silence: Cheers, I think you managed to get what I was going for with all of them (although not too sure about the song).
    – Yura: Yep, that’s exactly what I was going for with the neck area.
    – Zeke: That’s the whole point, you aren’t meant to see much apart from what the cigarette lights up.
    – Megan: I was definately going for a more “normal” look and I’m glad it payed off. And yeah, that X-Ray effect is pretty awesome, I got the idea from Nug.
    – JR: It’s artistic licence-ish.
    – Consumed etc.: It wasn’t the shading on any of those that was giving me trouble. I was trying to do this other pic at the time which was all lighting effects and in the end it defeated me.
    – shall we get going: cheers dude. I spent a fair amount of time looking at Candruth’s work to get the shading on her just right. Little secret, she was originally going to be topless, but I wouldn’t have been able to post her here otherwise.
    – Ponies: Glad you like them dude. Would you believe that there is absolutely no masking on any of the pony pics, it’s all insignias. Cloudsdale is a place in the show (it’s a cloud city surprisingly enough and only Pegasus ponies live there, because they can walk on clouds). Also, I don’t have access to Discovery Family (which is the channel it’s on now), I watch the episodes on YouTube. They’re all on there, so you should give it a shot. I’d say, if you start at the beginning and aren’t feeling it, give it until episode 6 Winter Wrap Up (I think it’s episode 6, might be 7 or 8). That’s the episode that everyone quotes as the episode that really got them into MLP. Oh, and if you do try to watch it on YouTube, remember to search MLP: FiM (Friendship Is Magic) because that’s the full title for this generation (otherwise you might end up with the 80’s toons).

cliff
    Participant

Hey JR
    Dewd I didn’t mean for you to have to reply to each of my comments. LOL 😀
    But I guess that what makes you such a good moderator.
    First off – I hoped ya got the book and the dress/robe comments was just my sense of humor. I read all the descriptions and know about the books. and I definately knew it was a robe. And yes robes did suit him better.
    KEWL on Oliver’s future story! Is this an actual story that you have written down or still in your head other than your character bios?
    Your right I haven’t seen Gurren Lagann 🙁
    I am really Sorry if the song offended you. I did think to put the NSFW warning at least.
    Thanks for the heads up on MLP: FiM on YouTube.
    Well off to dialysis now.
    Have a great day.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Cliff- yeah, I got that you were being silly (for want of a better word) about the books/ robe, but I never actually said about the inspiration for them and that seemed like the opportune moment to do so. The whole Heartcore thing is all in my head at the moment. I know how it would start, how I would want it to go and how it would end but no specifics. For example, there’d have to be an episode/ chapter about the Solstice Celebration because of Oliver coming out to Sempi, then there’d be a bit on Yarin’s past (probably someone from her past coming back) and one of the characters is going to die near the end and that’s what gives Oliver the push to get over his self doubt and become a badass. But apart from those three events, the middle part of the story isn’t that fleshed out. I’m very good at ideas, but not at finishing them. And don’t worry, I wasn’t offended by the song. Let’s just say it’s not to my tastes though.
    Oh and good luck with the dialysis.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Ok, so turns out I really over-reached myself with this one. So, originally I was going to have Pulp Noir in a three-quarter turned pose, facing away from the viewer, but that went out of the window after about two weeks of trying to get the pose to look right. Then I tried a easier, side on pose, which looked alright, but then I had no idea what pose to put Bright Idea in. A further week later I think of a pose and after another week decide I have no idea how to get it to look good. Then I procrastinate and leave the pic half done. Then, after a message from Linea on deviantart I think “Ok, even if I can’t figure out Bright Idea’s pose in the pic, I promised Myro I’d do Pulp Noir, so lets at least get him done”. Then I watch the last ever Top Gear. Yeah, I procrastinate too much. But, even though it took 2 hours worth of touching up, I’ve got my take on Pulp Noir done.

Here you go Myro, sorry it took so long and that I didn’t do some silly scenario between Bright Idea and Pulp Noir, but I highly doubt I would have finished it otherwise.

(The original idea was to either have Idea wearing Noir’s hat with his magnifying glass, and have Noir looking less than pleased, but as I said the pose didn’t work, so that’s why he looks a tad grumpy).

Anyway, I think that’ll be the last pony thing for a bit. I want to do some more normal HM fare for a bit, to try and get my mojo back.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Myro
    Participant

Nice, thanks JR. It would have been cool to see your idea, but I understand that time’s been a little tight now, and the construction would have been tough to do.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Myro- Thanks dude. I’m sorry I couldn’t do the full blown thing for you, but, like I said, I doubt I’d ever have finished it.

Anyway, I has done a thing!!! *cue blue moon, a skating satan and multiple winged pigs*

Only two weeks late with this, but I got it done surprisingly quickly considering that I now seem to be working in ice ages when it comes to the ‘machine.

Oh and I lied about the whole no-more pony stuff thing…

Yeah…

Attachments:

LullabyOfTheSin
    Participant

Sweet and good Idea. I like it.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Thanks Lull, good to have you back.

Anyway, unless I’m very much mistaken, this post is my 3000 on the forums. That’s a lot. And considering I did something for both 1000 and 2000 posts, I’m gonna do the same again, counting down my favourite arts from my last thousand posts. Let us know which is you fave and thanks for all the comments and critiques guys, here’s to the next thousand.

10. Kurayami

Costume wise, this was a blast and a pain at the same time. It looks simple yeah, but those zips were awkward, especially on the hood. Design wise, he was based off of Mega Banette, because why not? It was an excuse to do a costume that I’ve not seem anyone else do anything like, and it turned out great I.M.O.

9. Sempi Turner (Heartcore Version)

Now, this character is quite close to my heart so I could have picked either version to go with, but I ended up picking the newer version, simply because it looks better. The costume, again, was really fun to do. It took a hell of a lot of masking to get it to fit the female body, but it looks good, actually it looks better on the female body like this than the standard one does (no offence MadJack). As for everything else, I’m really happy with how her face came out and the hair as well. Oh and there’s rainbow fire. Who doesn’t like rainbow fire?

8. Triptych

Ok, ok, the first part of this was done before (and included in) my 2000 post list, but considering two-thirds of it weren’t, I’m including it. I have to say, my favourite bits of this were completely unintentional (I did each part about 2-3 months apart so I didn’t really plan it). The fact that the characters are positioned so as you work your way from left to right they descend, which is really fitting considering the tone of the images. The you have the backgrounds. They juxtapose each-other incredibly well, the rising darkness in the first, the falling light in the second and the shadows surrounding the third. I’m very proud of how well I fluked this.

7. Nike Redesign (Costume Version)

Those PRIDE redesigns tho… Easily some of the best superhero stuff I’ve done. And this is the best of them. I’m still not convinced that the hair was a good idea, but everything else… This costume rocks, and I’m being modest here ;). The colour blending is also pretty good, if I do say so myself.

6. Megan Hart X-Ray-ted

Blame Nug. It’s all his fault. He told me to do it. The fact that “it” is pretty awesome was just a lucky coincidence. God, this took ages. Honestly guys, the effect is great and all, but it’s a pain in the arse to do, sooooooo much masking. Favourite bit though? That necklace.

5. Rainbow Silhouette

Speaking of pains in the rear end, anyone for masking lag so crippling that it takes a good minute to actually recognise the item you’re trying to mask to. And then me, being the fool I am, went and animated it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKjEkWXpNQc sorry about the music). And I did that stop motion style, so going into heromachine, moving each item by one space and exporting. It took a month to do and I’ve calculated that if I didn’t sleep or eat or do anything else it would have taken around 58 hours to put together. And counting all exports, it’s over ten thousand layers. NOT DOING ANYTHING LIKE THAT EVER AGAIN!!

4. Gamer Lili

Ahhh. Obviously. I don’t think I’ve had as much fun with any characters, or put as much time into any characters, as I did with Lili and Danni. I adore those girls. And this is the best solo shot of either of them. Everyone picked up on the TV glow, but I would like to point out that the thing I put the most effort into out of everything in this picture is the Gameboy on the sofa next to Lili. Then you have the wii gamepad and the headphones. These were the things I was expecting people to pick up on, but I guess the big stuff overshadows the small stuff in this case.

3. Shall We Get Going

I spent so long looking at Candruth’s gallery for this one, you guys don’t even know. Possibly the most shading I’ve ever done on one character. I mean, what on this one didn’t come out perfectly? The tattoos, the hair, the face, the pose, it’s just a very good picture, in my humble opinion.

2. Bright Idea & Story Lyric

Now, I debated which of this or Shall We Get Going to put at number 2. I actually feel that Shall We Get Going is the better picture by far, but I like this one more. I had so much fun creating it (even though I procrastinated badly half way through) and I love looking at it. Both ponies came out perfectly and the story that goes with the picture still makes me grin. Plus, Bright Idea… …….. …………. yeah.

1. Predictably

Lili & Danni: The Kiss

I owe RobM big time for the poses here, I would never have been able to do this without him. And considering this is my favourite picture I’ve ever done, that’s saying a lot. So thanks a metric ton dude. Not much I can say about this one really, it’s just… special. That’s the best way I can describe it.

So that’s my 10. What about you guys?

Until next time.

JR Out.

DiCicatriz
    Participant

I’m partial to Nike myself. The other Pride characters you created were pretty interesting too. And “Shall We Get Going” should be higher on the list, but that’s just my opinion. 😉

JR19759
    Keymaster

Okay, new stuffs.

And a few things I never got round to posting for some reason:

(This second one was a character from Heartcore that I didn’t post for some reason. She’s Gail Loren, a nurse from the base the team live at).

Actually, looking through my files, that isn’t all the unposted stuff I’ve got. I’ve got two really old unfinished ideas that I really should get done. I mean djuby helped me with them, so I should probably get them fully finished and posted on here, and it’ll wrap something up I just left hanging. So watch this space.

Attachments:

JR19759
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ve had these two as unfinished concepts for almost a year now. But now they have been finished and boy was it a nostalgia trip. I had a few pointers with the dresses from the genius that is djuby and I hope my execution lived up to his advise. Anyway…

Attachments:

djuby
    Participant

Beautiful job man. The shapes and diaphanous fabric quality are great.

Nug
    Participant

You did your own Gallery Grab! 🙂 Thats cool!

Your Nike piece is still a favorite of mine! As well as the Lilly in front of the TV…( never noticed you had to put in work on the game boy. That means you made it too good and people thought it to be an actual item… I suppose. )

Candruth will make you do things  that make your head hurt…No doubt!  Your’s turned out beautifully.  And everyone that doesn’t know what this woman can make you do to yourself should really watch her video, and try to copy her style. You learn a lot.

“New stuff” Turned out too cool! I like the style, and beautifull wedding dresses! I bet you had references, huh?

Congrats on 3k JR! I hope you have 3k more!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,426 through 1,440 (of 2,063 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.