Our Power User to profile this week is the winner of the last Character Design Contest and all-around great commenter, Tarkabarka!
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Tarkabarka
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life":
- Real name: Richard Grof - Or in my country Gróf Richárd, The gróf means Count. I'm a born blue blood. 😀
- Real city/state/country: Budapest, Hungary
- Real job: Hospital IT specialist and Healtcare Financial Manager
- Real age: 29
- Gender: Male
- Relationship status (married, single, in a long-term relationship, dating someone, "it's complicated", etc): Now really single, nothing really complicated.
- Online archive of your creations: http://forums.ugo.com/showthread.php?t=41960 , http://tarkarra.deviantart.com/gallery/26627139
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created:
I have a lot of picture what i really like it, but this special for me.
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Star Wars (The Original Triology), Spaceball, Tron (original)
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: Raymond E. Feist and R. A. Salvatore books, Frank Herbert's "Dune" And a Hungarian Sci-fi Story called "By the Warrior of The Cathedral" by Harrison Fawcett (Real name is Tibor Fonyodi)
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Big Bang Theory and Star Gate SG1, Babylon5, IT Crowd
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: All time "Good" guy - Batman, All time "Bad" Guys - Ivy and Harley
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose: Stopping the time, invisibility, and travel in the space and the whole universe.
- In your leisure time you like to: Make pictures in HM3, draw, read books (Sci Fi and Fantasy), go to concerts (always metal, preferably folk metal), Astrology (I like the stars).
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): It's very difficult to tell it. I'm not always like a pretty color use or unusual pose. If I see a picture and i see inside a thing what tells me this is very cool. I like the Unusual use of objects, striking compositions, successful faces, a great themes, divine backgrounds.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): I don't like unfinished works. Faulty contact body parts or a hand and leg facing the wrong direction, inappropriate things. The extravagant backgrounds where the character is lost. Too many items.
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: A picture needs time to make it, needs a lot of practice and patience, needs to try items how to work in the picture. If you see something that you really like, try it, and if it doesn't work ask the original composer who tell what he did and how to do. The only limits in a good picture is your imagination.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: At first I thought of myself that I am not a geek, as i think little bit and then I thought why not call myself a geek. I love the fantasy, sci-fi, comic books, a good series or better movies. I'm an outsider. I don't like the real world, there is a lot of disaster, so sometimes i want go for another world that I created. All I want to say to everyone is to be blessed and never deal. You don't have to worry about what others think of you, because the most important thing is what we think about ourselves.
I love that pic! The shading on it is so amazing! She almost looks like she’s glowing. And I can’t believe you are a Star Wars geek! I thought I was the only one. And Spaceballs was awesome! Bill Pullman is one of my favourite actors. And don’t worry about being a geek. I love being a geek. I have my own little niche in my family and everyone loves me for it. My sister is forever calling me a “Cool Geek”. She thinks it’s awesome that I can spout facts that no one’s ever heard of. Anyway, congrats on the Power User Profile, Tarkabarka! Keep it coming, bud!
Congrats Tarka. That is one awesome picture of you; rock on! You’ve been producing some great work, and have been very helpful with critiquing the work of others.
Just have to say, Mel Brooks is a god, and Spaceballs is, hands down, the greatest movie that ever has been or ever will be made…
“Have you tried turning it off and on again.”
Congratulations on the status, you deserve it. Your work is fantastic and it only seems to improve. Also, your help on OCDs is greatly appreciated and welcome. Spaceballs is one of Brooks’s best movies, one of his funniest.
An HMer with a very distinct style. The use of darker hues rather than black outlines, bright colors, and lighting accents work very well. Really like your designs.
Never heard the term “folk metal” until now. Did a bit of sampling on the internet. Definitely music that I can get into.
Thank you guys.
– Jessica – Yeap the star wars triology is maybe the only movie what i really see more than 1 or 2 time. (I see yesterday all of them :D)
– Myro – I try my best – I want to help the other machinist, but my language knowing give me a lot of difficulty.
– Gero – Hello my baby, hello my baby. I love that movie i always laugh if i see it.
– Vampyrist – Good old Roy 😀 – Once in my workplace i play that situation, and works it 😀
– The Atomic Punk – I use the lighter outlines, because my backgrounds usually are so dark, i want to highlighting my chars out for the background.
– And yeap Korpiklaani is folk metal. A lot of other band i like. Ensiferum, Finntroll, Turisas, Tyr, Shangren, Arkona, Alestorm and two hungarian Dalriada and Kerecsensólyom and many many more.
I forgot one important thing. I really gratefull for everyone whose nominate me for the Power User Status. I’m feel very honored.
You’ve certainly earned Power User Status, Tarkabarka, well done!
And it’s great to see another folk metal fan around! m/ 😛
I´m not surprised to see you here. The one thing that i really like about your images is that you know how to tell a great story without words, without anything, just our interpretations are needed. And that´s awesome, because you can get like 1000 good stories in 1 second by making us think, and you are the best doing that.
Köszönöm szépen mindenkinek – Thank you for everybody
Albannach – Kiitos. m/(o.o)m/
Tool – Thank you.
Asder – I’m glad you think for that. I usually want to tell stories. I think a picture which tell we story is more convicing with a background story. ( I know sometimes needed a background story, because a good story gives us a complete picture.)
Welcome to the Club TarkaBarka! and Yet another member with the facial hair!!! … I had to shave my goatee off for work, but now that it is the off season I am in the process of growing it back!! 😀
Ok so I usually leave my comments on post short and sweet and as far as PUP post I just say congrats but I decided to come back and say Bravo my friend Bravo really. No offense to others of couse for the short comments but I just wanted to say I really find a liking to your work, have appreciated your input on critiques, and enjoyed the bar you and others likewise that set the bar in some of the competitions. I hope I make it here some day but I feel I still have a lot to learn. It kinda sucks though that I haven’t been able to see all your works and some other peoples because my home and work computer dont like deviantart links for some reason and wont load. Well I will end it now and bow out with simply this, Congrats LOL
Congratulations Tarkabarka!! Very well deserved.
@Tarkabarka(7): You’re welcome and congratulation on the profile.
For some reason I always thought you were a girl. Sorry about that.
@worf, I must confess I got that impression somehow along the way too LOL, no offense Tar
@ Worf (15) and Tool (16) You’re not the only ones, I had assumed the same until he mentioned being male during the FNF contest. Just shows what happens when you Ass-u-me 😉
Congrats Tarkabarka! Good to see you here, it’s very well deserved. Your images are always great and manage to tell stories.
Jeff, what need I doo to get to “Power User Profile”?
Rozenstal, there isn’t anything specific to do, it’s a combination of people recommending someone when I ask for nominees, being active on the board, winning contests, etc. Mostly it’s a gut-feeling thing from me at the time I sit down to send them out. I just ask myself “Who’s been particularly active and helpful that I would like to learn more about”.
So nothing specific, sorry 🙁
Congrats and awesome work Tarkabarka! Cheers!
Jeff, when you choose it, you write on its mail?
Well done, Count. (Hmm. Gróf. I’ve heard some nobility, rather like barons, I think, who hold the title of “landgrave.” I wonder if “grave” and “gróf” share some common language root?)
By the way, Bela Lugosi was Hungarian, wasn’t he?
@Rozenstal: In my case–probably standard procedure–Jeff emailed me a form to fill in as I saw fit; like the questions Tarkabarka answered above, and I emailed it back. I’m guessing that’s what you’re asking. Hang in there.
Kaldath – Thank you! – Yeap goatee power 😀
Tool – Yeap very some time needed and a lot of practice.
Worf, Tool, Kaldath – First thank of the nominate Worf.
Second. No problem for me to you think i’m a female. – I know i usually make pictures for females. I don’t know the reason. I more like the female body parts, and i more prefere the females in my everyday life.
Trekkie – Thanks, i’m glad you think that.
Rozenstal – For in my case Jeff asked it and some great machinist nominate me for the Power User Status.
Spidercow2010 – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count – I think it comes the german Graf. – And yeap Bela Lugosi or Lugosi Béla was hungarian.
Huppsz i forgot Thank you Ams
Welcome to the clubbing…uh, club, Tarkabarka. Your pieces are always inventive and your comments always welcome.
finally, tarkabarka’s profile!
btw, geek or not is just people’s opinion, and that won’t affect our life 😀
damn! mispelled my own name!
sorry tark, my previous comment is waiting for moderation 😀