This week's "Power User Profile" features the winner of the first ever Friday Night Fights, Kaldath!
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life":
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Kaldath
- Real name: Harry
- Real city/state/country: Jackson, New Jersey, USA
- Real job: Formerly a Security Officer For Six Flags, Now working in the Park Service Deparment instead
- Real age: Will be 38 This August
- Gender: Male
- Married/single: Single
- Online archive of your creations (if any): http://forums.ugo.com/showthread.php?t=34967
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created:This one is very hard to answer because I am a bit of a perfectionist. When I look at my own stuff the first thing I always see is what I did wrong and what needs to be fixed. That being said I think so far the best piece I have done is what I just finished last night, a remake of my character Destiny.
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Time Bandits ( from 1981 )
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: "Wheel Of Time" Series Written by Robert Jordon
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Stargate: SG1
- Favorite all-time comic book character: Firestorm ( Elemental version ) With Doctor Fate a Close Second
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose: Healing Factor. Considering the fact that I have a metal plate in my face holding my eye in place ( shattered the lower orbital) and a permanently injured back and neck due to a car accident, as well a few other various and sundry injuries and illnesses including Diabetes, I'd love to have a powerful healing ability like Wolverine.
- In your leisure time you like to: Read
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): The only thing I can say that I think makes for a good design is Attention to details. As noted above I am a bit of perfectionist when it comes to my own designs and if something doesn't look right to me I'll remake the character over and over again to get that one detail right.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): The lack of certain key details, like when someone forgets to put ears on their characters.
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie:Take your time and pay attention to the details. Also take comments by others with a grain of salt. It is true we can not improve if we do not know what we are doing wrong, however in the end the only critic you have to appease is yourself. If YOU like what you have created that's all the truly matters in the end.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: I'd like to thank those who nominated me for this honor. You know when I first stumbled upon Heromachine and the various communities like Jeff's Blog, the forums, and various others ( anyone remember the Yahoo Group ? ) I never thought my work with the program would come to inspire others the way it has. I remember once commenting on a new members HM creation on the Forums, and the reply back was something like. "Thanks, you are one of the ones I really wanted advice from." To say the least I was shocked at that reply. Now I am not as active as I once was on the forums, sticking mainly to the hero archive section but whenever I am moved to comment on another creators piece of heromachining weather it is to praise or weather it is to point out ways to improve the piece I always keep in the back of my mind just how my words may effect the other person in ways I would never have thought possible and so try to being instructive is not always 100% positive because that brand new posters over at UGO, or on Heromachine.com may well turn out to be the next Kaldath, the Next HammerKnight, the Next imp, In short that newbie just might be the next Power user.
I really like your old school HM designs, especially Brittney and Mae. Destiny is really good. Great choice of colors. I like the Insignia as part of the mask. And, yes, I noticed the ears. 😉
The choice of healing factor as a super power. Really tells that you are a hard person to break. In spite of what’s happened to you personally, you endure not just adapt.
Lastly, the Webcrawler Recipe is fantastic. Thank you!
I’m already enjoying the Power User Profiles. And I appreciate the nomination given to me when HammerKnight’s was presented.
Destiny looks amazing, Kaldath! Great profile 🙂
My hat is off to you kind sir. You do wonderful work.
Stargate SG-1! Now that’s cool, sir!
OMG! Someone else has seen Time Bandits!
Nicely done. I really like these little side profiles, they give a good bit of insight into the minds behind HM. Can’t wait for the next one!
I have always appreciated perseverance and I think its evident that you have presevered a lot. Likewise its obvious that you’re obviously artistically talented. That with your introspective nature makes you a person I really feel I can respect.
Its nice to have been able to interact with you.
These are turning out pretty sweet. Thanks Kaldath.
Kaldath, you were one of a handful of people that really inspired me when I first discovered HeroMachine. You showed that it’s not just possible to vomit up a four-color hero, but to create actual works of art. So bravo to you, good sir!
Thank you all so much for the kind words guys, and to think back in Jan of 08 When I first joined the Forum I was not sure I wanted to put my stuff up on the site for others to see or not!
Awesome choice in Kaladath! He really is one of the best creators and all around good guys in the HM community.
So who was the general consensus pick for the next one? Was it Imp, Myro or MMI?
you really deserve ths PowerUser status. Your creations are truly inspiring. They are among the best here on the boards, but the best thing is that whenever you create a character it has this coherent, distinctive look that says “Kaldath”. And I think that is a thing that only few other users have achieved. Since my main activity is on the Hero Archives I do not always see the things outside, but there you rank among BlueBlazer, Imp, vampyrist, vengeance and abominal401, who have also achieved that kind of status. Every one of your creations is almost always instantly recognizable as a true “Kaldath”.
You are a very gifted creator.
Thanks for sharing your creativity and your lovely characters with us.
CPrime (11): I say Imp. Hint, hint, hint.
Kaldath, you’ve earned this one. Your creations are always stunningly well-designed. Congratulations! Now, get to work making more…! ;-]
Kaldath, that is one of the BEST heromachine characters I’ve seen in awhile! 😀
I think MMI should be next! 😀
Hey Jeff, I think the Power Users could use their own “Blog Category” to the right over here. ——>
I have to second that. For future reffrence that’d be very useful.
MMI (16): I thought they did. Right under “Things I Like.” I was pretty sure I saw it earlier than right now as well.
Yes, it’s under “Things I Like”. I can move it from under there so it’s in line with the others if you all prefer. At least I think I can.
I just went ahead and moved it into its own spot.
Are you going to call it the PU blog?
If it was below things I like I should have seen it. Must me getting old. Apparently I’m blind in one eye and I can’t see out of the other.
Wow, destiny is awesome!!! I’ll go to see your gallery at once 🙂
On another note, I was stunned by your health problems, that’s harsh! You must have quite some force of character to endure all this on a daily basis. I wish you good luck and courage with all that.