ONE PART, MANY CHARACTERS contest……

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges ONE PART, MANY CHARACTERS contest……

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 829 total)
  • Author

Dingus Khan
    Participant

Yes, I used those too, the ones in the picture he linked too (her stool and table are Ms, the F is doubled and flipped to be the candlestick, and her necklace and arm band are Bs), but I mean he said

B, D, and F in Fonts, Runic, 2nd column, 2nd row. Which look like this in the attachment. But I only noticed that after I was done, and no, no more Greek lady! She made me nuts… and those just made me think of tire tracks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Herr D
    Participant

Yikes–perhaps I got r / c wrong. The pic was what I meant. I’m gonna go check.

*DAAH! Good catch, Dingus Khan. I should have typed 1rst row, last font.

I’m gonna go change that now, in case of any late entries.

Herr D
    Participant

Characterizing this week’s competition: contrast. F=Funkmachine, D=Dingus Khan.
    F’s backstory was sparse, but enough. D didn’t make one. For background, I had a tough call. F barely had room to show his. It matched the story and was dramatic. D had an elegant background, but on the flat side. I tied the backgrounds.
    For Items-story, another tie. Both artists made the items important enough to the picture—one by mystique and drama, and the other by simply a sense of belonging.
    Emotional is where F stood out. This is not how ANYONE wants to wake up, no matter whether you’re a Celtic humanoid lodgedweller or an arthropoidic spaceship captain. Well—no matter WHO you are. Wife with a freshly-used weapon and your home on fire? Her not herself? Nope!
    D’s was a little too mellow without a backstory and invited too much pointless critique. Sumerian candelabra, Greek harp, art deco geometric-shape jewelry, Etruscan sandals, brooch-style hairpiece, Hollywood-style dress and curtains to match, furniture in the style of the Bamboozle tribe? I decided she’s the ‘B’azaar ‘D’esign ‘F’ree lady.
    Bells, the macro stuff—placement was great in both pics, just not nearly as challenging for F. On top of that, D did some great work draping the dress into being, slammed the category with that difficult pose setup. Whistles, the small stuff? There really weren’t any lighting or shading effects. The masking work? Make furniture out of fonts and maybe the tat on the wife. The knots against the candles and the tasseled pillow bumped D up a point.
    The items: Every item was used for one point. Every item was well-placed and belonged for the second point. I’m all about the misuses. D’s ‘B’s as jewelry were good, if maybe it needed a pendant or a glimmer or something, or at least a shinier color. D’s ‘D’s as furniture were very good. Some more knotholes or something might’ve made that a five or bumped up your Whistles category. D’s ‘F’s as a candelabra was very good, even if it didn’t look culturally homogenous. A better color or some texturing or some dripped wax on it might’ve boosted it.
    F made the runes into runes. So, twosies. I was surprised that the ‘D’ wasn’t used on top of the hammer totem where the same pattern was? That the ‘F’ wasn’t made a part of her tats? As for the ‘B,’ I don’t know, serrations might’ve looked wrong on that blade, but more neckwear? Maybe worked into part of the tooth necklace? Worked into a ring?
    Even so, high emotional content and opponent lack of a backstory nearly caused a tie for F.
    Dingus Khan? Pick three and post with a deadline. You win the judgeship.

Backstory score: ……..F3…….D0
    Bkgd score:…………..F3…….D3
    Item RUNIC ‘B’:……F2…….D3
    Item RUNIC ‘D’: ..…F2…….D4
    Item RUNIC ‘F’: ..…F2……..D4
    Bells: ……………….F3…….D5
    Whistles: ………..….F3…….D4
    Items-story:…………F4……..D4
    Emotional:…………..F5…….D1
    Bonus:………………0
    Total:……………….F27……D28

Funkmachine7
    Participant

Herr D I know that Dingus Khan won but he’s taking a while so do you want to post the next three items?

Herr D
    Participant

–! Your idea is good. Fitting, too, since I bungled posting the last items. Consider this due 8/1/17 3pm EST, with a bonus of a half-point if, sensibly within the picture, I see the themes of ecological conservation and pollution. Hopefully to be judged by 8/3 3pm EST. See attached items.

Attachments:

Scaena
    Participant

So this is my first time adding to this group.. but I had a lot of fun doing this haha.

The Little Mutant (a not so subtle reference to a famous character)

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/538x646q90/r/923/A4P8pL.png

In the far, far future, humans have inevitably ruined the earth (Go us!), causing most of the land to be ravaged, desolate wasteland. Few places on earth still contain life, and the life that exists is mutated and just odd looking. For example, many species of fireflies have adapted glowing wings instead of their iconic glowing bums. The foliage, contaminated by various chemicals, grows in bizarre colors such as purple, orange, and pink. Gas balls, similar to the ones in Scottish moors, rise and create glowing green orbs that lure people and animals to the area. However, the most afflicted aspect of earth is also its largest- the oceans, rivers, lakes, and seas. Global warming first caused sea levels to rise with melted ice, but then drying the earth and distributing the water in unnatural patterns. With leeching from nuclear plants and toxic sewage, the remaining water became radioactive and volatile. The creatures in the water became contorted forms of what they were. These mutants include the amphibious karawi, small humanoids with webbed hands and feet, yellow eyes, and withered looking green skin. They also have leaf like appendages they use in order to blend in with foliage. Another, the aureya, is a mutated species of jellyfish who have grown a nucleic organ similar to a brain and eyes that protrude from their gelatin head. They also surface from time to time, as oxygen levels in the water are incredibly low and are not always stable enough to support their needs. The most alarming mutation on record, however, can be found in some communities that live on or around the water, such as New Orleans, Venice, the Congo, and the Bajau Laut to name a few. Many of these people, who rely on the water for many aspects of their lives, have changed completely in their physical state. With gills, webbed and claw like appendages, abnormal skin colors, and coral or barnacle growth on their bodies, they are hardly human anymore. Like many life forms on this new earth, they can survive in and out of water. While not completely feral, they distrust most outsiders, and humans who trespass or liter in their waters are likely to face some sort of danger. They have reverted to a fairly primitive- and sometimes cannibalistic- lifestyle. They are territorial and protect the remaining bodies of water in pods with up to 100 individuals. Many are still rather attractive and they use this, along with the glowing gas orbs, to lure their human and animal prey to their death. With this protection, many bodies of water are slowly becoming less polluted and life is starting to return. It will likely never reach the levels of healthy biodiversity that once existed, but as their numbers grow, water pollution declines and aquatic life of both new and old species, increases.

Breakdown of objects:

The eyes were used to make the heads of the jellyfish and her left hand that’s underwater.

The glove was used to make the little yellow crab’s claw and the blue tube fungus type plants on the rock.

I used two capes to make the little mutant guy in the top left corner of the picture.

I hope I followed the rules and everything, but even if I didn’t, I got wayyy too much enjoyment from this.

Herr D
    Participant

No need to drag it out–Scaena, as only entrant, you win the judgeship. Please pick 3 items and post a deadline. I’m sorry you had no competition. It was a good entry.

Scaena
    Participant

Not exactly how I wanted to win.. but I’m happy with my piece.

Bonus point if you use the eyes on the companion.

I prefer misuse over literal use for each object, and I appreciate detail.

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

deadline please? Time and date. We usually run about 2 weeks these days.

Scaena
    Participant

Deadline is August 18, 3:00 p.m.

Keric
    Participant

Well, I’ve got something!  The king Galoobe has just met Dblade!  from the conversation I think the king may have been mistaken about what is going on!

G: Let my people go!

D: Pancho, Lefty, do you guys want to get down

P and L: No eating tasty oil!! Go away!

Breakdown: the companions are on the left and right shoulders and standing alone, the gloves are the side hair and the crown felt, and the mech foot is the spike of the crown, and on the shoulders for Pancho and Lefty to eat from!

Attachments:

Keric
    Participant

please ignore this post, it’s not part of the contest!

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

The litigants successfully presented the case of fraud before the court, and the defense agreed to a settlement during a recess. The supermodel in question publicly denounced the idea that she had ever had reconstructive surgery, hair replacement, skin grafts, or even orthodontia.

Her fingerprints on the pauan shell necklace were never explained.

*The glove became a unibrow, textured by the ‘plane’ body, which was also copied about sixty times to make her hair. The companion was the nose, the nostril, and eyes-only became the pauan shell layered with eyebrows for the string and the Zyp-circle background for nacreosity. Nacreousness? Whatever.

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

Scaena? You judging?

Scaena
    Participant

Sorry for taking a while. I’m going to be brief because I don’t have a lot of time to lay out all the results.

Bottom line: Herr D won

I may come back and write more later.

Sorry.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 829 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.