ONE PART, MANY CHARACTERS contest……

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges ONE PART, MANY CHARACTERS contest……

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 829 total)
  • Author

Herr D
    Participant

I find myself aghast. If I’d started judging earlier, I would have felt guilty for not warning a contestant to rework an entry. Wow. Apparently I horribly confused Randall. I got him to use wrong ‘q’s. The ‘q’s to use were the ‘pi’-‘q,’ the ‘bones’-’q,’ and the ‘neon’-‘q.’ I’m guessing that the confusion came when I used part of the q-list from the unentered contest. That’s a shame. It was a good entry. Unfortunately it’s got to be disqualified for not using all the items themselves. Sorry, man.

Keric wins. Please post your new deadline and item choice again.

Keric
    Participant

Thank you, Herr D!  I’ve choose the above 3 pieces.  2 weeks from now is Nov 6, and I hope to judge then

Randall
    Participant

Well I feel a bit down, but accept your apology Herr D. Congratulations Keric on your win. It was a great piece. I look forward to your contest now Keric and seeing what Herr D might come up with too. 🙂

Herr D
    Participant

The yellowsleigh flower requires a tall gardener, or a stepladder, to properly water the top leaves and ensure plant health. Maude grew one by accident. She’s the only old lady on the block who has a beet box.

*The dino and hat made 90% of the ‘yellowsleigh’ flower. The body creases made dress surfacing.

Randall
    Participant

Wow. That is a piece of art Herr D. Great job on it. I hope to be done with my piece in the next two to three days.

Randall
    Participant

After some time of working on it I bring you DINO WORLD. A fun place to bring the wife and kids if you’re idea of fun is surviving in a jungle full of vicious man eating dinosaurs. Dr. Monroe is ready to lead this expedition. Our first to try out the jungle is Gordon Banks and his girlfriend Mary Spoonwither. Both Gordon and Mary are excited for their new adventure.

I used the dinosaur as a sculpture on the post of the gate, the body piece are used as scratches on the rocks that the statues sits on, and the hat serve as flowers next to the rocks.

Editing Notice: Direct upload failed. Now putting a link to the picture in photobucket.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/RomeoPhoenix1984/media/Randal.DinoWorld_zpstos2xm1z.jpg.html?filters%5Buser%5D=144603553&filters%5Brecent%5D=1&sort=1&o=0

Keric
    Participant

There is no reason to keep this contest going, anyone who entered after I started typing is not counted!

Randal~You have assembled your picture outside of HM,  you can tell by the halo effect around the mountains and the trees, also there is white under the girls arms and between the handle and the bag.  Most of the contest judges would disqualify for this, I will not but having those flaws does hurt the overall pic!

Herr D~ No such flaws!!

Winner: it’s not about the use of the items, Which let’s face it Randal you have used the pieces well, but about it’s MISuse which Herr D did just a little better.

Randall
    Participant

Wow. I feel like kicking myself in the rear right now. Normally I do my best to make sure there isn’t any flaw like you pointed out. I can admit I messed up this time around. Congratulations Herr D on your win.

Herr D
    Participant

Thank you, thank you, [bow] and thank YOU Randall for the compliment. Maude’s beetbox lays down the best beets on the block. If you’re ever in the area where I-66 and I-81 intersect, look up dinosaurland.com for directions. They don’t have a gate like yours, Randall, and they don’t have guides. Best you can do for now, though. My fave is the Sharksub.

Now, on to the next three items. This pic is due by 2pm on 11/21/16. To be judged hopefully by 8pm. One extra point will be awarded for seamlessly making this a holiday theme. Fire three:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Christi S
    Participant

Unbidden, her hand rose to gently touch a dangling earring. They had been a present from her husband, their first Christmas together. She’d worn them every year since. Christmas was her favorite holiday and this evening and tonight and tomorrow she would celebrate; she’d have toys to give the grandchildren, clothes to give the children, and each of every one of the five courses she’d serve would be fit to feed them all. For now though… he always gave her roses, so it seemed apropos to return the gesture now;

“Merry Christmas, my love. I miss you.”

Beard and mask are used to make the earring. Scarf is used to do the wrinkles around the eyes and on the neck.

Herr D
    Participant

Well met, Christi S.  I don’t remember your particular style–do you have a gallery here? I make it a habit of reviewing the hm galleries of entrants before judging so any advice I might give might be more generally useful.

Christi S
    Participant

Heya, n I’m new-ish so no, no gallery as of yet, sorry!

Keric
    Participant

First off, Hi Christi, got to say, that you got the hang of this contest, right of the bat!

@ Herr, OMG Those piece and a holiday theme! That threw me, twice!

this is the best that I came up with… The mask is on the monkey, the facial hair is hair, and the scarf is the colar and sleeve on the costume.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Randall
    Participant

Wow. Both pieces are very interesting and very well done. Welcome to Heromachine Christi. I will not be entering the contest this time due to deadlines I have to meet with other creations I am working on. I may not enter anymore this year, but I’ll be back. Anyways good luck to both Christi and Keric. May the best piece win. (Thumbs up!)

Herr D
    Participant

First off, thanx Randall, for letting us know not to worry. Good luck on your other deadlines.

Now. On to business:

Extra point for holiday season goes to each entrant right off the bat. I knew you could do it, you contest entrants, you.

–For those tuning in late, I’m all about ‘misusing’ items from the vast clip art treasure trove. That’s a one for findable with or without prompting / questioning. That’s at least a two for “abuse,” or leaving category in an emphatic manner. That’s a three for incorporating / manipulating in a way that makes it less obvious but still present and belonging to the pic.

Concision of design isn’t something I normally mention here, but C got all three items in the FACE OF ONE CHARACTER. I have no score bonus for that, and I’m beginning to wonder if that is an oversight on my part. A good design does tend to be concise, efficient.

Anyway, C’s items all left category behind and looked good. The Braided Beard item looked slightly less like it belonged to me. Maybe the coloring just struck me as wrong? A sparkle might’ve made it up, but I’m not sure. (Somebody posted a tutorial for those, gotta give him a plug for the new girl.)

K’s items? The mask was a mask, and it began to tell me something. If you’d had a backstory posted to ‘explain it to us westerners,’ that would’ve surged up. The BB was still hair, but topped the head and became part of the posing, enough to tie C for that item. The scarf was still clothes, but seamlessly became a different garment. Not as easy as it looks—your thread has examples of you doing that stuff.

Then there’s the general contribution category. The emotional content was noticeably different, but the item’s contributions to it were about the same. C pushed every button. K could’ve added a big performance smile to the skater or cheering arms to the crowd (or something else) for more emotional effect. Maybe an announcer looking impressed or flabbergasted at the ‘Triple-Axle-Tree-Trimming-Contest’ Champion?

Bells here means presence by virtue of item or holistic effect contributed. Pivotal, both of you. Nothing extraneous about the three items themselves.

Whistles is about minor pieces or features like placement, posing, shading, highlighting, etc. C did some great shading and placement. K did great posing, down to the hair. I wish I’d seen some ice fragments spraying up or the skater’s shadow or something. K would’ve tied her here, except for a sleeve problem.

Finally there are background and story. C managed to push every button again. If anything, a fewmore subtly-placed but specific details might’ve made that a 5. If there is anything there that shouldn’t be, it’s the Santa’s sleigh and reindeer. I hope you use it somewhere else. It took away from an otherwise perfect background somehow—didn’t belong. If it had been on a neighboring house or something . . . no worries, your point is safe. You seamlessly got there with the backstory.

K had no backstory. The minimalist background WORKS, though, for this. Did she win the T-A-T-T-C? I actually want to know.

C has a clear victory here. CHRISTIE S! Pick three items and post a deadline! You are the winner and so now judge of the next OPMC!

(Breakdown below)

Backstory score: ………………..C4……K0

Bkgd score:………..……………C3.5…..K3.5

Scarf:……………….…………….C4.…….K3.5

Braided Beard: ………………….C3.5……K3.5

Mask: …………….………….…C4….….K3

Bells: …………………….…….C4…..….K4

Whistles: ………………….…….C4………K3.5

Items-story:………………..……C5……..K4.5

Emotional:……………….……..C5…..….K4
    Seasonal theme ….…………..C1……….K1
    ………………………………………C38…..K30.5

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 829 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.