Reply To: Show your work: Progress of a design

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges Show your work: Progress of a design Reply To: Show your work: Progress of a design

Suleman
Participant

So here’s a breakdowh of how Agent Albatross was made.

Started out trying to make a completely different character, a charismatic pacifist who had lost her arms.

Stole her boots from this… vampire pirate guy, whatever his deal is.

Could not make the pose work as well as I hoped, so I started reworking the design into a sailor type. Rather than her arms, she had lost a leg.

The pose still wasn’t quite right and didn’t seem balanced. So I tweaked the angles and swapped her legs.

Once I got the pose like I wanted it, I started working on the colors and the background.

The stars needed some work. I added twinkling to cover up the biggest ones, which looked a little out of place. I also added several gradients to break the monotony and create a rather pretty view of space.

Started working on the shading, one item at a time. Breaking the process into smaller pieces like that helped my sanity.

Once the shading was done, I saved the image and immediately closed the window so I wouldn’t be tempted to make further tweaks or changes.