(From "America's Best Comics" number 1, 1941.)
Google Sponsored Content
The Nerdmudgeon PodcastThree middle-aged nerds (including yours truly!) review all of the MCU movies in chronological order. Short, funny, and full of good vibes, check it out and let us know what you think! Nerdmudgeon.com
Recent Blog Posts
- The Death of the CDCs February 18, 2023
- Character Design Challenge #– 540 – Home Sweet Home February 13, 2023
- CDC #539 – Alter Egos ( Hosted by Cody Merrill) February 5, 2023
- CDC #538 – Fantastic creatures..! (hosted by Scott Weyers) January 29, 2023
- CDC #537 – VOTING – DUKE of DARKNESS (Hosted by Scott Weyers) January 28, 2023
- Christopher G Eberle on The Death of the CDCs
- NerdAndProud on The Death of the CDCs
- Scott Weyers on The Death of the CDCs
- djuby on Character Design Challenge #– 540 – Home Sweet Home
- Scott Weyers on Character Design Challenge #– 540 – Home Sweet Home
The Secret Lair
God, Red Superman is such a jerk.
Why is a DC character called “Captain Marvel” anyway?
Because the Original (Billy Batson) version of Captain Marvel came out (by another company entirely), LONG before Timely Comics changed it’s name to ‘Marvel’!
DC just bought them out, after forcing them out of business with a frivolous lawsuit, claiming that Captain Marvel was just a knock-off of Superman!
The really strange part is that Fawcett (the company originally publishing Captain Marvel, which was much more popular than Superman at the time in the Forties) had to agree to never publish the character again. During the time between the end of the lawsuit and the Silver Age of the Sixties, when super-hero comics were popular again, another company had started using the Captain Marvel name with another character and trademarked it. So Fawcett had a character they couldn’t publish, under a name no one else could use. DC eventually licensed the character but had to put out the books under the “Shazam!” title due to the previous trademark on the name “Captain Marvel”.
Legalese and super-hero-ese don’t mix 🙂
Poor fat guy! Always picking on a wrong person in these comix.