Zero Level: Additional Adventures

Home Forums The Writers’ Room Super-Hero Fiction Zero Level: Additional Adventures

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

TheNate
    Participant

@WMDBASSPLAYER said:

Well handled again, Nate! I’ll have to do some more research to keep everything about Amy making sense, if not completely realistic. Nice twist of her temporarily losing her powers. Also like the unflinching, Batman-like attitude of Miss X. Though I never actually wrote anything with her, that’s pretty much the personality I see her with. Overall, great story. I dig your characters, too. BTW, how did you do that group shot? Awesome! The most I’ve managed was I think 11 characters in one of my Beasts of Burden groups.

Thanks, WMDBASSPLAYER. I actually was thinking more about a former boss I had than Batman when creating Ms. X’s personality – in the pre-New 52 universe, a particular African American woman was definitely stronger than Batman.

The group shot really wasn’t easy, but here are the steps:

1. Get Premium Access for at least a month. Otherwise, that ad will mess everything up. And it’s only a dollar.

2. Load up Wideview and zoom out your browser’s view to 80 or 70 percent so you can see the whole picture. It’ll be noticably smaller than your screen, but you actually want it to be so it’ll fit in here.

3. Capture the image. Either press Printscreen (fn+shift+F11 on older computers) or use your Snipping Tool if you’re on a later version of windows. Either way, get your copy of the picture.

4. Go to MS Paint. If you used Printscreen, use this time to crop out the browser information. If it’s a Snipping Tool, paste it right in.

5. Resize as necessary. I had a lot of trouble getting it under 1000 KB and it took some playing with formats and sizes. It took some previewing and adjusting to make it happen. It also helps to save it as a JPG to cut down on file size.

6. Preview and edit. It should be good to upload. If not, go back to Step 5 and keep tinkering.

So, yeah, export won’t work. Even the widest widescreen will crop the sides. You’ll only have from Bosillos’s (cyborg in a skull and crossed wrenches shirt) left shoulder to Knockout Rose’s (smiling girl in red)’s right shoulder. And the more detail you put in, the more formatting it’ll take to upload it.

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

OK, you got me on that one, Nate! If any woman can truly put Batman in check, it is Amanda Waller. That’s something for me to consider if I decide to flesh out Miss X any further. I did say I never wrote anything with her, but I did give her a backstory. Part of that story is that, like Batman, she has no super powers, but she has a counter for everybody in my universe. Super powered people have openly admitted that she is not someone they want to oppose. As I give myself more time, I might take a crack at adding to this great story you have going.

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Nate, I wish I got this finished before you started your next story, but either way, here is my addition to “Smashing The Atom.” Enjoy!

Smashing the Atom: Epilogue (Arbalest, Knockout Rose, Ivy Isotope and Short Armed Law created by TheNate)

“Amy….AMY!” “Oh, sorry, Arclight! I was just lost in thought.” “First, I told you before, when you’re here in the Protectorate’s headquarters, you can call me Martha. Second, if you’re thinking of what I guess you’re thinking of, understand that we all face defeat.” “But, Arc…I mean, Martha, you weren’t there. You didn’t see the look in his eyes! One Armed Bandit has NEVER been so violent. I mean, the guy’s a thrill seeking thief and a techie geek genius before anything else. He’s never really done anything violent before. Yeah, he’ll set off traps to put people in peril to cover an escape, but nothing lethal. And definitely nothing so hands-on! I always thought if I got beat, it would be by somebody like Half-Life, catching me off guard and finally making good on his threat to pound me into the ground. I never thought I would be beaten by somebody with NO superpowers at all! And to top it all off, he found a way to sap all of my powers. I was as helpless as a kitten back there!” “Well, even with your powers drained as they were, I doubt you would lose your invulnerability.” “Again, Martha, YOU WEREN’T THERE! HE WAS ABOUT TO BASH MY SKULL IN WITH A LEAD PIPE!!! The guy found a way to totally strip my powers. How the hell was I supposed to know that there would be lead lined walls blocking all traces of radiation in that place? He built a robot that looked just like me and could copy my shockwave punch! And when I hit that thing, I scraped my knuckles! I haven’t seen my own blood since years before that accident that kicked in my mutation. Like, since I was a kid skinning my knees. And adding insult to injury, he dressed his robot in a black costume just like my newest one. I really liked that suit, but I can’t wear it any more without being looked at as suspect!” “Amy, everyone knows by now it wasn’t you.” “DAMN IT, MARTHA, THAT’S NOT THE POINT! I COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED!…..Oh, God! I’m so sorry for yelling at you, Martha.” Amy slumped down and softly began to sob. The young hero was totally overcome with emotion. The woman known as Arclight sat on the floor next to Amy and gently held her. Amy felt somewhat comforted. She always admired this powerful woman; powerful in so many more ways than just as a superhero. Amy was grateful for the woman she called her second mother, and at this moment really appreciated the shoulder to cry on. “Amy? Did it ever occur to you that maybe it wasn’t the Bandit? Or at least, not the Bandit that you know? Could it possibly have been an imposter? Or maybe even another alternate Earth One Armed Bandit?” Amy also appreciated her friend’s levelheaded sense of logic. “You’ve already met one alternate you that is evil and an alternate One Armed Bandit who is actually a lawman on his Earth.” “Oh, great. So now there’s an alternate One Armed Bandit who’s also a psycho killer? Don’t all of you guys have that Cosmic Consciousness thing going on? Can’t you just look into the universe and see this stuff and just go and stop all the evil alternates?” “It doesn’t work that way, Amy. And even if it did, what right do we have to go to another world and upset their balance?” “Well damn it, it seems OK for these guys to come here and upset our balance! My balance, in particular! ” “Amy, calm down. Now listen to me! You have a very special gift! Your’s is the power of the atom, part of the powers of creation. It is very important for you to learn and understand the nature, as well as the science behind your powers. Believe it or not, you have the potential to become one of the most powerful beings on this planet! We will teach you but you have to be willing to accept our training.” “Oh, damn! More training?!? Isn’t it enough to just go in and kick ass?” “Obviously not, and watch your mouth, young lady! You call me your second mother, I expect just as much respect! I’m quite sure you don’t want to hear Miss X lecture you about battle tactics after all the time you told us she spent training you in that area. Just be glad I was a teacher before I became a superhero, and I’m also a mother. I know how to relate to you.” “Thank you, Martha. I’m willing to learn all you have to show me.” “First, we need to talk to Black Hole. Her Cosmic Consciousness is the highest level of all of us. We’ll find out if there is some type of anomaly or gap in space-time allowing these alternates to come through to our Earth. It’s actually not as easy as it may seem to cross dimensions. Black Hole is the only one of us who can do that without any special conditions or apparatus. She can actually make her own rifts in space-time.” “Yeah, well, let’s find out what she can tell us about this.” At about the same time, the One Armed Bandit was busy in his hideout, reviewing hacked security footage from the area of Amy Atom’s battle. He was particularly interested in Arbalest’s specialized uranium bolt and Knockout Rose’s capsaicin delivery system. But his interest was even more piqued by the tall, white-haired man in the red and black formfitting suit with the dollar sign insignia. “Who the hell is this guy??? Not another one? And a killer at that! This is not good for my reputation! And how did he pull off stripping Amy Atom of her powers? I tried that lead lined trap bit and she still kicked my ass! Could it be that this guy has technology on his Earth that doesn’t exist here? Time for me to dust off my inter-dimensional gate projector and do a little earth hopping!” to be continued…?http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/wndbassplayer/2014/05/amy-thinking-of-alternates.pnghttp://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/wndbassplayer/2014/05/Amys-potential.pnghttp://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/wndbassplayer/2014/05/security-footage.png

TheNate
    Participant

Awesome! This sets up more possibilities for Amy Atom and more foils/versions of the One-Armed Bandit. She may be the cosmic one, but he could turn out to be the multi-dimensional one.

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

After the fact, I thought of several possible directions to take it. One idea was Amy transported to an alternate Earth to hunt down the murderous O.A.B. or the original Bandit going to take on the killer Bandit and stealing his alt. earth tech, whatever that might be. Just keep in mind the original One Armed Bandit is basically a thrill seeking thief who would rather avoid direct, hand to hand confrontation, and let his gadgetry work for him. A brilliant guy who is also a real jerk. You handle the characters personalities very well. For the sake of continuity, we should come up with an explanation as to how the original O.A.B. found out about the alternate earths. Or not; it could be something that just develops as the storyline grows. Also, from now on, I think I’m going to follow your example and focus on writing with just a few pictures to illustrate characters and key scenes, instead of the actual comic format I did with Amy’s origin and what I attempted with your first alt earth story with Ivy and Short Arm Law. I really bit off more than I could chew there!

TheNate
    Participant

@WMDBASSPLAYER said:

After the fact, I thought of several possible directions to take it. One idea was Amy transported to an alternate Earth to hunt down the murderous O.A.B. or the original Bandit going to take on the killer Bandit and stealing his alt. earth tech, whatever that might be. Just keep in mind the original One Armed Bandit is basically a thrill seeking thief who would rather avoid direct, hand to hand confrontation, and let his gadgetry work for him. A brilliant guy who is also a real jerk. You handle the characters personalities very well. For the sake of continuity, we should come up with an explanation as to how the original O.A.B. found out about the alternate earths.

Well, if one One-Armed Bandit can be smart enough to figure out how to hop dimensions, why can’t lots of them?

My first thought (which means it’s probably not the best) is to make him like Ace Rimmer, a guy who occasionally meets different versions of himself. Ace only showed up a few times in many seasons, so the Red Dwarf crew had time to do lots of other things. From here, he can try to figure out what went wrong with that psycho version.

For a comparative example, imagine if Cesar Romero’s Joker found Heath Ledger’s Joker coming to his Gotham and trying to, uh, kill his Bat. If nothing else, it’d be hysterical to watch Cesar Romero convince Adam West that it’s in their best interest to team up.

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Haven’t seen Red Dwarf in ages! I actually kicked around an idea of Amy and the original O.A.B. reluctantly teaming up to take out the killer O.A.B. because he’s decided to stay on their Earth and he’s leaving bodies at the scenes of his robberies. Just as Knockout Rose was the only one to believe Amy, Amy’s the only one willing to believe that O.A.B. isn’t a murderer.

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

TheNate
    Participant

xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.