The Wild Art Contests

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges The Wild Art Contests

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Scaena
    Participant

Here be dragons…. and pirates… and witches… and robots… and basically all that good stuff.

I like doing contests and I love designing scenes and characters, so I’m going to start doing contests on here. I’ll give a prompt this first week, and then whoever wins the contest can help pick the next theme. Winners are chosen mainly from voting, but the final say will be given by me (since it’s my topic. But I may step back on judging if more people do this) and the previous week’s winner.

Submissions must adhere to the general forum rules.

In regards to copyright: I’ve had people tell me that things like fairytales and the like are copyrighted, but this is not exactly true. Most, if not all, classic folk tales do not have a specific author or creator, so no one person can claim ownerships of it. Even the Grimm brothers and Aesop do not technically own them, as they are just the written version of stories that are hundreds of years old. And even if they were owned, many of these have long since been moved to public domain. Many cultures have what are basically the same stories from other cultures, just retold in a slightly different way. For example, that is why there are countless versions of Cinderella (i.e. Ye Xian, Kongjwi, <span style=”color: #222222; font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>Maah Pishànih</span>). In fact, the version most of us associate with the word Cinderella is actually a retelling of Rhodopis, which is believed to be the first Cinderella story. Now, if the prompt were specifically related to, say, a Disney character, that’s another story, but I’m not going to be referencing them, so chill.

SO, yes, some of theses will be fairytale prompts.

Scaena
    Participant

Speaking of, first contest will be to recreate a famous fairytale. This scene must include at least one character and a short description stating which story you’re recreating, what theme you chose (i.e. twisted, steampunk, modern, etc), and a title for your submission. A backstory or full retelling is not necessary, but it will probably help your score.

Graded on:

Overall composition- 10 points

Creativity- 5 points

Attention to detail-5 points

Popularity- 5 points per vote

Extra care- 3 points

3 BONUS points if you choose a less popular or obscure story.

Rachelle Dockerty
    Participant

Velagrys is caught unaware. She is a sun-elf hermit due to her dragon blood. This is where her story begins…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Rachelle Dockerty
    Participant

Zomberella

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.