New Possible Designs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Matthew Haughton
    Participant

(Putting this in the Headgear forum because I’m kinda not sure what other forums there are, sorry!)

Hi, I’m new here (as a registered user). I’ve been using Heromachine for a good few years now, and it’s pretty darned awesome!

I’ve used it to create a lot of basic designs for characters, mainly Superheroes and fantasy characters (e.g Tolkien style fantasy).

Only thing is, that as I’ve gotten older and my tastes have matured, I’ve been looking to create more unique and detailed designs and looks.

Whilst there’s a great range, and I don’t at all mean to sound selfish when I say this, I find that there’s not much of the things I need, and I thought I’d find a way to do a personal recommendation, just to say somethings I’ve noticed, see if anyone else has noticed them (or I’m just being pedantic or something) and add somethings that I think would really work to make Heromachine even MORE awesome! 🙂  This is quite long, coz I’m kinda just spewing ideas, some which kinda just stick in my head when I use Heromachine and others which are probably gonna come to me as I’m writing, so apologies for that.

What I mean by that, and as I said, I didn’t mean to sound selfish, is that for example, in headgear and tops, most of what is there is quite bulky. The type of designs (and I know, this stuff is done on all sorts of design applications that I couldn’t dream of being able to use) you can find on the internet, are slimmer. There is less of a look for form fitting armour than there is true, bulky Mech type suits.

Also, it’s the same with tops, there’s a lot of bulk, but there isn’t a lot of true armour there. So, if you wanted to create a guy that is more of a Batman type guy, with the suit being quite material based, but still looking pretty mechy but very close fitting, like body armour rather than an massive Exo-skeleton, (So, like an Arkham Knight kinda suit) there isn’t much there to work with. It’s very much based on the older ideas of Sci-Fi where things were big (e.g most of the really good stuff with detail is like the old Iron Man suits), rather than more modern side of things, where things look more like plates of metal/material put together to create suits.

There’s also this thing, and I don’t know if anyone else has noticed it, where the good stuff in Tops doesn’t have an equivalent in Legwear.

Like, it’s very hard to create something that works with a top unless it’s spandex, and even then there are things that don’t match.

So, I personally think, it’d be great if things that are in tops, have equivalents that match (not necessarily the same, but are at least similar) in Legwear, so you can create something that flows better, in design.

I also think there could be, like, a dedicated design for youth. There’s a lot of emphasis on muscular men, but whilst there’s female categories, there isn’t a body-type for a hero that’s a teenager. I’m not talking the skinny type, but the strong, athletic teenager type, that would work for making a teenage hero.

So, like, the idea of maybe on Heromachine 4 looool!! or something, you can choose, first whether you want to do a male, female and then you can choose whether you want adult or teenage designs which then work accordingly, because especially on faces, when I’m trying to create a teenage boy, it’s very hard.

On Fantasy, again, the variety is much more based on older styles, in this case more medieval than Fantasy. There’s some great stuff, but in some ways it’s also really hard to make something that looks like it’ll fit right in with Elves or Dwarves or Men of Gondor or something, it’s very medieval, very historical.

Also, is it possible to have some more dedicated superhero clothing? Like, it’s easiest on here to create a basic style superhero from the old days with the spandex style suits, but especially on the mask and cowl, there’s really only stuff that looks more like a Mexican wrestler looool!! There could possibly be a few more basic colour half mask cowls?

Just thought, as well, on the Tech side of things, a lot of suits nowadays have light designs on them, like, there’s the primary colour which might be black or grey, and then the lights behind it, are a red, and it shows up as like a kinda outline. Not so much ALL the lines on the suit, but as just an outline.

I’ll post pics of the type of stuff I mean.

And on the spandex side of things, there’s not much texture out there, it’s very flat. I just wondered if that was by design or not.

So yeah, A stupendously long post, so my apologies again, it’s just that I only just realised we could post here and I thought I’d put my two cents in, as they always say, if you don’t ask you don’t get, so I thought it shouldn’t hurt to just ask, and just thought I’d share some of my ideas and not exactly my criticisms but my thoughts on what could work better for Heromachine and make it more epic!!!!

So yeah thanks. 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Matthew Haughton
    Participant

Some more design ideas for a helmet style and some more exo-suit concepts I found online.

Attachments:

Matthew Haughton
    Participant

Here’s some concept designs for Superheroes

Some of them a detailed, some are very basic.

One of them (the SUPER detailed one) is more of a baseline for how things COULD look as a finished product. Obviously not so detailed and picturesque because Heromachine isn’t that sort of application, but as an example of the idea of kinda having different things that meld together to create something awesome.

On the more basic ones, it’s mainly to look at the banding and the use of coloured outlines to use as a highlight, so the costume has sometimes three colours, one as the primary colour, one as the secondary primary colour and then one as the highlight. You can normally see this around the arms, the legs and around the torso where there’s almost the actual shape of the boot or the logo and then a thick almost outline, in a different colour, which makes it stand out. Also you can see in the way the colours work, because that’s kinda how superhero costumes work and it’s not super easy to create this kinda stuff on Heromachine. Some of the shapes are one shape as opposed to many different ones put together and I think they’d look cool as options on Heromachine.

Attachments:

Matthew Haughton
    Participant

Some more examples of banding and the kinda “three tone” colour scheme.

Attachments:

Matthew Haughton
    Participant

Some more examples of textures and superhero design looks and banding.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.