How do I create a bug swarm?

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery How Do I … ? How do I create a bug swarm?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

frostjon361

Hi all,

I have an idea for a piece but I’m not sure what objects to use. I want to create a skeleton crawling or jumping out from a thick bug swarm. I have seen the dragonfly aura but that doesn’t give much density. I was thinking the swarm might start with the clouds in Backgrounds > Sky. Does anyone have any ideas for objects and masking that might work?

Thanks!

JR19759
    Keymaster

What you could try to do is just use the dragonfly aura and use multiples of it, each different sizes and layers, so you could have smaller ones at the back behind the skeleton and then larger auras at the front (to suggest they’re closer to the viewer) and to add interaction have some of those be in front of the skeleton (maybe even mask a single dragonfly onto a circle insignia and place it on the skeleton somewhere, just an idea) so it looks like he is actually trying to escape from the swarm rather than just being there in front of it. That way you minimise the masking you have to do and you could still include the clouds if you wanted as a background (maybe as a dusk cloud or something).

But that’s just my suggestion, someone else might have a better one.

frostjon361

Thanks JR. I’ll play around with your idea and see how it works for me. I can already see how it would work to bring depth to the swarm.

frostjon361

Here is a quick idea of the figure & swarm. Obviously not complete. I was hoping for a critique and any advice about the design and effects

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.