Geek Quiz

Home Forums The Pub Geek Quiz

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)
  • Author

JR19759
    Keymaster

I must say, I’m surprised that 5 is one of the ones no-one has got, I thought it was quite well known, which is why I put it early on. I’m not surprised that 17 is the other one no-one has got though.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Ok, this is the last day for entries into this quiz before I hand over to Myro for the next quiz.
    Here’s the current leader board.

1. Vampyrist- 17
    1. Trekkie- 17
    2. Myro- 16
    3. Herr D- 3

JR19759
    Keymaster

Ok, this weeks quiz is closed and as you can see from the post above, this week we have joint winners: Vampyrist and Trekkie. I would have made a joke about Trekkie always winning these, but as Myro won the last one, I sort of can’t anymore.
    Anyway, that’s it from me. I will now hand you over to Myro for however many quizzes he wants to do.

Myro
    Participant

Been sick this week. I have to questions prepared for the new quiz (I managed 20), but I need to organize them a bit. I will try to get the new quiz up either later today or tomorrow.

Myro
    Participant

And away we go. I admit this one may be a little more challenging than JR’s. Good luck everyone.

1. In the pilot episode of Firefly, what is the name of the black marketeer that Mal first tries to sell his illegal salvage to?
    2. In which comic book issue did Bane break Batman’s back?
    3. What geological feature bifurcates the land of Xanth?
    4. What was the name of Martin Landau’s character on Space 1999?
    5. Which Harry Potter characters do the following actors portray? (1/4 point each)
    A Ralph Feines
    B Tom Felton
    C Evanna Lynch
    D David Thewlis
    6. According to the Daleks, in which singular aspect are the Cybermen superior to them?
    7. In his full debut in Tales of Suspense #94, what did M.O.D.O.K. say his name was an acronym for?
    8. What is the name of Link’s faerie companion in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?
    9. What is Jean Luc Picard’s brother’s name
    10. What was Arthur Dent attempting to do with the ship’s computer when The Heart of Gold gets attacked by the planetary defenses of Magrathea?
    11. In which year did Marvel’s Loki Laufeyson first appear in comics?
    12. On Lost, what numbers did the Dharma Initiative stamp onto the outside of the Swan Hatch?
    13. Which 4 characters are in each of the to-date 6 live action Star Wars movies?
    14. What are the names of the three trolls in The Hobbit?
    15. In The Walking Dead TV show, what did Andrea intend to give her sister Amy for her birthday before Amy was killed by walkers?
    16. Which two Star Trek movies were directed by Jonathan Frakes?
    17. In which episode of Doctor Who did The Master make his debut?
    18. In the Forgotten Realms series by R.A. Salvatore, what is the name of the Drow mercenary leader of Bregan D’arthe?
    19. From Charlton and DC Comics, name the three heroes that have gone by the identity Blue Beetle.

And finally, despite the fact that I am trying to limit my Brony fanboying on Heromachine, I couldn’t resist:

20. Which episode of season 1 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic starts with Rainbow Dash trying to teach Fluttershy how to cheer? Either episode name or number is acceptable.

I will be honestly surprised if anyone gets the last question right (and is willing to admit it), so I’m making it worth 2 points.

1. Badger
    2. Batman #497
    3. The Gap Chasm
    4. Commander John Koenig
    5. A – Lord Voldemort
    B – Draco Malfoy
    C- Luna Lovegood
    D – Remus Lupin
    6. They are better at dying.
    7. Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing
    8. Navi
    9. Robert Picard
    10. Trying to get it to make him a cup of tea.
    11. 1947 (in Venus #6)
    12. 4 8 15 16 23 42
    13. R2-D2, C-3PO, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader
    14. Tom, Bert, and William (or Bill)
    15. A mermaid necklace
    16. Star Trek: First Contact and Star Trek: Insurrection
    17. The Terror of the Autons (Part 1) (1971)
    18. Jarlaxle Baenre
    19. Dan Garret, Ted Kord, Jaime Reyes
    20. Episode 16: Sonic Rainboom

JR19759
    Keymaster

I only got 6 3/4. 2, 3/4 for 5, 6, 7, 11, 13, 17 & 19. I’m really annoyed at forgetting 10.
    You definitely thought of some categories I wouldn’t of (ahem).

I would like to point out that there are two answers for 11. The version of Loki that appears in Venus isn’t the same one who is famous for fighting Thor. The version of him who first appears in Thor’s comics in 1962 was created specifically for those comics and has no connection to the one who had previously appeared. This info is coming from Stan Lee and Tom DeFalco both of whom are pretty much experts on the subject.

Vampyrist
    Participant

I got 8.5 (1, 5a, 5b, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 19) I should have gotten 17 and would you accept
    Knightfall for #2? Also I should read some Salvatore, I just guessed Drizzt.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Wow… 2 of 20. #10 and #19. Even then, #19 because I had just watched Young Justice.

I should have known #1. Let me take this opportunity to remind everyone that the network executives who cancelled Firefly should be horsewhipped in public.

Trekkie
    Participant

8.5 as well – 4 (nice to know someone else has seen Space: 1999), 5 A and B, 6, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17 and 19.

Myro
    Participant

@JR19759 said:

I only got 6 3/4. 2, 3/4 for 5, 6, 7, 11, 13, 17 & 19. I’m really annoyed at forgetting 10.
    You definitely thought of some categories I wouldn’t of (ahem).

I would like to point out that there are two answers for 11. The version of Loki that appears in Venus isn’t the same one who is famous for fighting Thor. The version of him who first appears in Thor’s comics in 1962 was created specifically for those comics and has no connection to the one who had previously appeared. This info is coming from Stan Lee and Tom DeFalco both of whom are pretty much experts on the subject.

In regards to the information put in your spoiler, I stand corrected then. It appears my research was a little shoddy, although the information source I found it on has usually been fairly reliable, and I believe that the Loki in said publication looked fairly similar in appearance to the Loki in Marvel comics. So, my bad.

As for the categories in this quiz, I can at least assure everyone that this will be the last time I stick a My Little Pony question in. It was a one-time indulgence on my part. Everything else will be fair game though.

Myro
    Participant

@Vampyrist said:

I got 8.5 (1, 5a, 5b, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 19) I should have gotten 17 and would you accept
    Knightfall for #2? Also I should read some Salvatore, I just guessed Drizzt.

Sadly, I’m going to have to answer no, Vampyrist. I checked my question to make sure of the wording, and I thought it was fairly clear I was asking for the specific issue, whereas the storyline in question takes place over several issues.

dblade
    Participant

5 points. 1, 13, 15, and 20! (My daughter watches it. I swear!)

There were a couple I would have got if I thought longer on this but I got impatient. My geek is weak!

Myro
    Participant

Well, weekend’s over and we’re currently sitting at:

Trekkie 8.5
    Vampyrist 8.5
    JR19759 6.75
    dblade 5
    Atomic Punk 2

Any more takers?

Ah, I missed JR’s last quiz and it was much more my speed. I would have got 15(still not enough to win) and ended my last place steak! Oh well…

It looks like I got a shot to start a new last place streak. For Myro’s first quiz I only got #13 right for a grand total (lol) of ONE!

Myro
    Participant

Well…..

Trekkie 8.5
    Vampyrist 8.5
    JR19759 6.75
    dblade 5
    Atomic Punk 2
    Headless General 1

Having problems with arranging a new Geek Quiz. I have a few ideas for questions, but not many. I may be tempted to do an origin issue special, but we’ll see. I figure the quiz will probably not be on time, though.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 113 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.