Community Effort Idea

Home Forums The Pub Community Effort Idea

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 215 total)
  • Author

Iscarioto
    Participant

Why not both?

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

@Iscarioto said:

Why not both?

just won’t keep up with two characters, what with trying to juggle Uni work, outside social life, creating new characters and now this new addiction… i’ll try 2 for a while, but one might get killed off somewhere down the line…

Iscarioto
    Participant

I hear ya Alex. Yeah the way I’m approaching this is just writing one up when I can (I work part time in a very cruisey call centre while at Uni too, and do all my HMing at work, living the dream haha), and just see which character I feel like writing at the time, and try and link the stories together. Not neccesarily chronological, the plot can sort of come out almost like those found footage movies where you only see what’s been recorded on the handy cam. It’s not a rule, but so far the others seem to be following suit.

On that note, prswirve and JR, love your work so far!

JR19759
    Keymaster

Thanks Iscarioto.
    I’ve just been thinking, judging by the length of what we’ve already got and considering that it’s only been a day and a bit since the thread started, we’re gonna have a huge-ass 1st issue if we leave this first issue until next Wednesday.

Iscarioto
    Participant

That it is. But I have an idea in the works, as you and i discussed in our PM, competitions perhaps where people who read through, wether authors or not, can pick out a scene event or passage and illustrate it, not unlike a story book page, and if the author of the passage in question agrees it can be inserted into it to illustrate the story.

I’m struggling to explain it, too much writing tonight haha. Okay, brief example below:

David raised his head, his eyes full of fire

Rage boiled inside him, a feeling he’d never met
    A feeling he could never control
    He reached out and touched the source

and so on. Not saying a frame every second line or whatever, but if there is a key point, and if it reaches out to somebody and they think – wow, I want to try and make that – then awesome.

Then we have an illustrated story book.

By the way, the callibre of the writing here is incredible

And so in line with how I am picturing it all, like, nothing has made me go “ooh that’s wrong” most of it is “holy crap, that works so well!”

I’m giddy.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Iscarioto said:

That it is. But I have an idea in the works, as you and i discussed in our PM, competitions perhaps where people who read through, wether authors or not, can pick out a scene event or passage and illustrate it, not unlike a story book page, and if the author of the passage in question agrees it can be inserted into it to illustrate the story.

I’m struggling to explain it, too much writing tonight haha. Okay, brief example below:

David raised his head, his eyes full of fire

Rage boiled inside him, a feeling he’d never met
    A feeling he could never control
    He reached out and touched the source

and so on. Not saying a frame every second line or whatever, but if there is a key point, and if it reaches out to somebody and they think – wow, I want to try and make that – then awesome.

Then we have an illustrated story book.

By the way, the callibre of the writing here is incredible

And so in line with how I am picturing it all, like, nothing has made me go “ooh that’s wrong” most of it is “holy crap, that works so well!”

I’m giddy.

Works better than my idea actually, but I’ll still do my outline and you can see what you think. We’d still need to worry about how it all fits together, so having an outline of where everything goes, what events are happening simultaneously and all that would help with the illustrations.
    So far, I have to agree, everyone’s bits have been amazing. I’ll get to adding wrongness laterWink

Love the way this is going. I’m not a writer so I probably won’t be participating in that, but I sure am going to enjoy reading what you guys do! And if you do hold contest for images I could definitely see myself participating in them.

Can’t wait for more!

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

I’m not sure if we’re using this thread for character approval before allowing them into the story, but i’m gonna whack up any ideas for this story on here first, to make sure everyone is hunky dorry with them

That being said i present:
    Code-name Conduit

Conduit.png

Isac Chandler is a young man who makes a living in extreme tourism as an instructor, guide etc. When he gets a dose of “Empty Vessel” he is given the power to grant or nullify powers for a short period.

In his “phase 2” he is recruited by Ascension, as you can guess his abilities would come in handy when battling supers. They kit him out and at an even later stage give him a gauntlet which can extract Empty Vessel permanently (not sure about that bit do you think powers should be taken?). He also feels a lot of regret about what he is doing for Ascension, but fears what would happen if he isn’t on the winning team…

Conduit-phase-2.png

JR19759
    Keymaster

Just to let the rest of you guys know (as I have already spoken to Iscarioto about this), I’m gonna start to work the stories already on the thread into some sort of workable comic-book script, so when we get to doing illustrations we know how each part of the story fits together. Obviously not everything will be included but I will try to be as faithful to the original works that have been posted as possible. When I’m finished I’ll post it up on this thread for you guys to see and make your own edits until we have something we are all happy with. Hopefully this will fit in with the other ideas people have for this thing.
    Obviously it helps if people read what has been posted before and incorporate significant events (like the landing of the triangle ships) as it makes it easier for me to pinpoint when everything is happening.
    If anyone has any objections or questions please say.

Iscarioto
    Participant

Alex, that’s inspired! Love it!

Yeah, I’d like to think I’m not too picky about what can and can’t go, nobody has set a foot wrong at all in my mind.

If anything, I’d like to encourage people to use their own narrative to advance the story. If it’s something that doesn’t work then the next writer to post can rectify it. And I mean, as the stories so far have been looseish with the timeline, if say, someone posts the group steals a boat and sails over to Kowloon, someone who has written about life down in the subway tunnel can still post that out of sequence without too much canon issues

We are awesome

Iscarioto
    Participant

Tonight I’m going to make an entry in regards to the actual armor of the troops, I’ve got an image in my head so I’ll try get it out, might make it in character, like the survivors are trying to build a profile on the troops, their weapons etc

prswirve
    Participant

this has been going faster than i expected. you guys are great. and the story woves so neatly so far. one thing i’m concerned of, how do we get characters coming up together? maybe we should create a timeline of events although iscarioto may be the right authority for this.

and JR the script thing is a great idea making creating comic panels easier if the script comes up…

This is awesome…
    (i can’t help thinking though it’s like a mix of heroes, terminator, and cap america… :) )

prswirve
    Participant

@Iscarioto said:

Alex, that’s inspired! Love it!

Yeah, I’d like to think I’m not too picky about what can and can’t go, nobody has set a foot wrong at all in my mind.

If anything, I’d like to encourage people to use their own narrative to advance the story. If it’s something that doesn’t work then the next writer to post can rectify it. And I mean, as the stories so far have been looseish with the timeline, if say, someone posts the group steals a boat and sails over to Kowloon, someone who has written about life down in the subway tunnel can still post that out of sequence without too much canon issues

We are awesome

When i reread i guess i’ve done a slight mistake in details in my character’s story, unless there’s a believable explanation. Well, i checked on Hong Kong’s map and Stanley is like a couple of rides away from the location of the Consulate. And both our character’s were rescued by the same person! Yeah I know. We can correct this anytime.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Maybe to solve potential plot hole issues involving time issues, we can create a basic storyboard, or at least an outline of what we expect to occur on this thread, which others can work into their stories. Basically what PR said, but a little more plot outline than timeline.

Iscarioto
    Participant

I appreciate that you actually went to the effort to map it and all.

I imagine it would be easy enough to rectify. The Chinese utilized an underground railroad to make an exit through Hong Kong during the revolution, it’s not too much of a leap to assume these tunnels still exist. It’s fiction, we could argue they link up, perhaps intersect with the MTR tunnels in places, and form a passage from the mainland, through the new territories, Kowloon, the Harbour and make landfall (or sea fall) in Stanley, as an escape route. That and the Japanese occupation during WWII. WWII loves tunnels. It’ll be sweet. And the Rescuer, being assumedly Triad, would probable be best equipped to know of and navigate these tunnels.

Which could pose a couple of interesting plot points. I didn’t see the story spending too much time underground, but it has a nice little ‘viva le resistance’ ring to it. Let’s roll with it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.