Christmas Contest Idea

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges Christmas Contest Idea

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

JR19759
    Keymaster

Just testing the water with this idea currently, but I was thinking of opening some sort of, well, not really a contest but some sort of christmas based trade thread starting on the 1st and going through until christmas eve.
    The idea is basically like giving and receiving christmas presents. People who enter post up a “christmas list” of 5 heromachine based things they’d like (redesigns of characters, new poses that you’re struggling with, custom backgrounds (both with text obviously), that sort of thing). Then other people chose one of these things off the list and do it, posting it on the thread. Then the person who received the ‘present’ then choses something off that persons list to do. (Hopefully that all makes sense).
    I just want peoples opinion on this idea. Would you participate?
    I just thought it may give people something to do as Jeff has stopped contests and the friday night fights on the main blog.

(Obviously you can’t ask for specific people to give you a specific present, or ask for custom items (unless dblade is up for it, but at the moment I’m saying no to it).

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Sounds good! I’ve set myself a challenge to do a Christmas (or winter) themed drawing – yes, that’s hand-drawn, folks – every day of Advent, scan it and post it. I’ll see how far I get! Laugh

Weilyn

I ‘ve been thinking along the same lines lately, so I’d definitely be interested.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Never heard of Advent before. Not quite sure if I will participate in a “gift exchange,” but I am all for seasonal / holiday themed challenges.

Dionne Jinn

Sounds like fun.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Atomic Punk, advent is the days leading up to christmas starting on the 1st of december, basically the time frame of this thing I’m doing.

I’m glad to see there is some interest in this idea. Hopefully a few more people will get involved once/before I start the thread proper on the 1st. In the meantime, if anyone can think of a good name for this thing I’d like to hear it, cause I suck at coming up with good names for this sort of thing.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

I see. Any relation to the 12 Days of Christmas? My family, for the most part, is atheist / agnostic but we still observe Christmas. My brother married a Catholic and her kids are being raised so. I suppose that I will be learning their traditions soon.

I’ll try to participate, but I am moving soon with no idea where I am going to stay. Lots of packing and apartment hunting.

JR19759
    Keymaster

@The Atomic Punk said:

I see. Any relation to the 12 Days of Christmas? My family, for the most part, is atheist / agnostic but we still observe Christmas. My brother married a Catholic and her kids are being raised so. I suppose that I will be learning their traditions soon.

I’ll try to participate, but I am moving soon with no idea where I am going to stay. Lots of packing and apartment hunting.

I know what you mean. My family is mainly atheist but we celebrate christmas. It’s a good reason to see everyone.
    Hope your move goes ok.

Harlekin

It’s a good idea, i’m also an atheist and i personally really really hate the christmas, this is very sad time of the year for me. So there is nothing which i really celebrate. So if you made this i can’t tell to not part it, but i really negative in this times.

JR19759
    Keymaster

You don’t have to be celebrating christmas to take part in this thing you know. My original idea came from yours and dblade’s contests where you guys would be giving prizes to the winners. Obviously I’m not as talented or have as distinct a style as you, nor can I draw like blade, so this was my way of giving back to people who entered the contest. Then I decided to tie it in to the season and make it not just about me but about the people on this forum giving gifts to people they may have only spoken to online, on this forum. It’s not wether you believe in the beginnings of the celebration, it’s about keeping with the spirit of generosity the is at the heart of the christmas season.

Herr D
    Participant

Well! I might suggest that everyone who has a list item made for them on the SantaSwap is obligated to make, after calling dibs on it, something. In hm3, following hm3 rules, with text, on someone’s list or the closest they can manage within six calendar days of logging back on and finding it. Or something of quality hand-drawn with the appropriate begging and pleading that dblade or Jeff trace, alter, upload, etc. if they are willing. That way I can guarantee my own participation and throw out the insecurity that anyone might feel, including possibly my own. [looks around to see if anybody caught that with great suavity and debonairness and subtleation. And poisehood!]

JR19759
    Keymaster

@Herr D said:

Well! I might suggest that everyone who has a list item made for them on the SantaSwap is obligated to make, after calling dibs on it, something. In hm3, following hm3 rules, with text, on someone’s list or the closest they can manage within six calendar days of logging back on and finding it. Or something of quality hand-drawn with the appropriate begging and pleading that dblade or Jeff trace, alter, upload, etc. if they are willing. That way I can guarantee my own participation and throw out the insecurity that anyone might feel, including possibly my own. [looks around to see if anybody caught that with great suavity and debonairness and subtleation. And poisehood!]

I agree with the idea that if you’ve asked for something and you get it, you should use it, when concerning poses, items and backgrounds. But I’m not sure about the asking for hand-drawn stuff to be uploaded, that wasn’t really what I had in mind, unless the people on here who can draw are happy to do it.
    I like the name idea as well, I might use it for the main thread when it opens on Saturday.

Are there any suggestions people would like to add to the list of things you can ask for? To give people ideas.
    At the moment I’ve got:
    Character Redesigns
    New Character Ideas (if you’ve got a team of heroes or villains and you’re struggling to think of members, stuff like that)
    Custom Poses with Text
    Custom Items with Text (using items already in the program)
    Custom Backgrounds with Text
    Personal Portraits (if you ever wanted to see yourself or someone you know in heromachine form)
    Tutorials on how to do a certain effect (just don’t make it machinist specific, it’s meant to be so that anyone can give any gift).

And any changes/ additions to rules?
    Current Rules:
    Each person who participates must put up a list of 5 ‘presents’ that they’d like to receive
    If you receive a present you must give a present back
    If you make a custom pose/item/background as a present include the text string so the person receiving the gift can use it
    If you receive a custom pose/item/background you obliged to use it at some point during the time the Santa Swap is taking place but post usage onto your own thread and mark out that it was from the Santa Swap (exceptions will be made for those who get gifts in the last few days before the thread closes)
    Don’t ask a specific machinist to give you a present, whilst they may be happy to do it, you’re excluding others from giving that gift

Hopefully we’ll see some good participation in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Well, considering the time of year and how close we are to a certain holiday (only 4 or so weeks away now I think), I thought I might once again test the water with this idea and see I people would be interested in participating in the Santa Swap again if I reopened it for December this year.
    Basically for those of you that missed it last year, you make a “Christmas List” of 5 heromachine related things, someone gives you one of those things, you give them something off their list in return, like giving and receiving presents. It is a Christmas thing after all, the idea is to be generous.
    The thread will be opened on December 1st (if I get a decent level of interest) and remain open until Christmas Eve (that’d be the 24th of December, if you didn’t know). You can see the rules in the post above and last years thread is here: http://www.heromachine.com/forum/art-contests-challenges/santa-swap/
    So are you guys interested?

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Still having problems with my home computer. I’m probably going to miss FNF let alone get in on a Santa Swap! Cry

CantDraw
    Participant

I’m in! Especially, since I didn’t have time to do FNF.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.