A Creepy Challenge!

Home Forums Art Contests & Challenges A Creepy Challenge!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Luc

Halloween may have passed, but that doesn’t mean we still can’t scare the pants off each other! Simply put, I just had an idea for an open challenge thread based around spooky scenes made with Heromachine. So here’s a simple list of what this thread is for:

1) Sharing scary scenes you’ve created with Heromachine and the accompanying spooky stories, if they have one. However, this doesn’t mean just a scary looking character, the challenge is to create an entire horror scene with Heromachine or simply a spooky and atmospheric background. So for this thread, character on white background = bad, eerie setting with something scary happening = good.
    2) Got a scary story in your head that you just can’t quite recreate in HM? Feel free to share the tale and see if anyone else would want to take a crack at making an image to match it.
    3) Likewise if you’ve got an image but can’t think of a good ghost story to go with it, feel free to ask others here to come up with one.

I’ll go ahead and start things off with these two pictures I made awhile back which I’ve always been quite proud of.

Bedtime
    Bedtime2.png

Operator
    Operator.png
    Operator

That word had been hammering itself into his brain for several months now. He’d been hearing it whispered in his dreams like a cryptic warning, finding it spelled out in his cereal, and hidden in the newspaper’s crossword puzzle. Something about the term just brought a sick feeling to his stomach whenever he heard or saw it. Who is the Operator? What is the Operator? And most of all, why was he so afraid of he answers to those questions?

His moonlight walk had been meant to clear his thoughts, yet instead it only let him think more deeply on all that had been happening. He wasn’t paying attention to where his feet carried him as he turned down a short alleyway, reflecting on the disappearance of his younger sister while he walked. She’d claimed that “The Boogeyman” was outside her window every night for weeks before she vanished… The police had come to the conclusion that some creepy pedo had been stalking her before abducting her, but something about that explanation didn’t sit right with him. His sister’s bedroom was on the second floor, and they’d never found any sort of trace of a ladder being propped outside it.

The many questions swirling around his head were suddenly interrupted as he doubled over into an intense coughing fit. These sudden coughs had been plaguing him ever since his sister went missing, and he remembered she’d been having the same coughing fits before she disappeared. It was strange, he felt fine and all of the doctors he’d seen said he was perfectly healthy. But the coughing never stopped, and it seemed to get worse every day.

Finally as the coughing passed he heard a loud ringing in his ears. He winced as the piercing noise invaded his skull, gritting his teeth as the ringing only grew more intense with each passing second. He felt almost paralyzed by something… He could still move, but no longer of his own accord. Something seemed to control his body for him now, like a puppet on strings. Fear washed over him as his gaze lifted toward the opposite end of the alleyway and saw the man standing there.

Though perhaps man would not be the correct term. The figure towered above him, quite literally more than twice his height. Its form was impossibly thin and slender; legs stretching up like a pair of stilts and arms hanging down so its long pale fingers dragged along the ground. He tried to focus and make out the features of the being’s face… Yet he didn’t need to, as there were none. Its face was completely blank. No eyes, no nose, no mouth… Simply pale white skin stretched over where these features would be.

An odd smell managed to snap him out of his terror-fueled trance. It took him a moment to identify the strong smell, but when he did it was unmistakeable. Blood, and lots of it… He tore his gaze away from the figure at the end of the alley to try and find out where the odor was coming from. His senses guided him to a puddle of the crimson liquid at his feet. Bellow it someone seemed to have painted a message in blood on the pavement. A warning of sorts.

“No escape”.

A shudder went down his spine as he read this. Quickly he shook the thought from his head as his eyes followed the trail of blood to its source. Swaying above the blood puddle he spotted something hanging from a protruding pipe… A black trash bag, soaked in and dripping blood.

His eyes widened as everything suddenly seemed to fall into place. He now knew why the word “Operator” had been causing him such fear, as the creature itself stood before him. He now knew it was the reason for his coughing fits, as he collapsed to the ground coughing and wheezing. He now knew that the “Boogeyman” really had taken his sister, as what remained of her dangled above him. And finally he knew that there truly was no escape, as The Slenderman claimed his next victim…

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

“Bedtime” is definitely creepy! “Operator” is cool with a good story. I can’t help compare the two and “Bedtime” gets my vote.

Luc

Here’s another little something spooky I just cooked up. Anyone else got something scary they made with HM to share?

Insected.png

Dionne Jinn

Have you seen Un Chien Andalou, Luc? That hole in the hand with bugs reminds me of that movie. Eww…

Vampyrist
    Participant

Un Chien Andalou, that was one messed up movie. I’d still recommend it, as it is only about 25 minutes and it is on Netflix Streaming. Also nice job on the spider hand.

Harlekin

OK. I have not an scary but very creepy screen picture. I really haven’t got idea for the story but i really interested if someone make a story.

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/tarkabarka/2012/11/Harlequin_I_give_you_my_heart.png

Luc

@Dionne Jinn said:

Have you seen Un Chien Andalou, Luc? That hole in the hand with bugs reminds me of that movie. Eww…

Never even heard of it, but I might have to check it out now. Always interesting to see who’s had my ideas first :P

Dionne Jinn

@Luc said:

@Dionne Jinn said:

Never even heard of it, but I might have to check it out now. Always interesting to see who’s had my ideas first http://www.heromachine.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_razz.gif

That would be Salvador Dali, I think. And seriously I found that movie a bit disturbing… But on the other hand, almost everything that came out of Dali’s mind was disturbing.

Prof.Anthrax

It was a collaboration by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali, but between the two, a mess would be the inevitable result.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_Chien_Andalou

Luc

The similarity between the two scenes is uncanny, but the film seems delightfully twisted. Caught my curiousity, certainly.

Anywho, I’ve got a challenge now for anyone who thinks they can pull it off. I’m curious if it would be possible to get the “Supernatural Footage” effect recreated in Heromachine. You know, something like a scene out of Paranormal Activity, or Blair Witch, or one of those ghost hunting shows that make heavy use of night vision cameras. I’ve been trying to do something along those lines but can’t quite get it, so if anyone else wants to try their hand at creating something similar I’d love to see what they come up with.

Dionne Jinn

@Prof.Anthrax said:

It was a collaboration by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dali, but between the two, a mess would be the inevitable result.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Un_Chien_Andalou

Buñuel! That was it! I can never remember that other guy’s name…

Scatman

SOUL THIEF
    SELF EXPLANITORY
    scatman-soul-THIEF.PNG

Luc

I was really afraid of the dark as a kid (And actually still am a bit), especially long dark hallways that you can’t see the end of. So, I decided to try and represent that simple fear with this image.

Corridor.png

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.