Our Power User profiled this weekend is the prolific Cliff!
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Cliff
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life":
- Real name: Clifford Thomas Roberts
- Real city/state/country: Fort Worth, TX, USAf
- Real job: Disabled.
Jobs have included Bookstore clerk for 10yrs, Nanny (I lived with the family during the week, cleaned house, took care of the kids and went home for the weekends), Comic Book Store Manager 4 years, Cable sales clerk, Oscar Mayer security guard, Toys R Us night stocker (1 night, I don't like 12' ladders), Whataburger cook (1 day, they had a hole in the back of their microwave with a styrofoam cup in front of it), Nursing home orderly, Jack In The Box cook, KFC cook, Pizza dish washer/cook, Carpet store warehouseman (my Mom's), Sporting goods trucker gofer (my Dad's), my 1st job: Greenhouse assistant (my Uncle)
- Real age: 49 (going on 12 or 100 depending on the day) 😀
- Gender: Male
- Relationship status (married, single, in a long-term relationship, dating someone, "it's complicated", etc): Gay but Married to a very wonderful, loving and understanding woman
- Online archive of your creations: PhotoBucket.
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created: I admit since I have first seen this question on these profiles I have had a hard time deciding my ONE fave peice, I have SO many I really like (more than a few can't be seen in a work situation or under legal age LOL). and there is still so much I am still learning, so my best piece is probably yet to come ... Ultimately I can't decide, so my wife's choice is Saint Mary Famine chapel in Ireland:
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Harry Potter, Lord Of The Rings and lots of other fantasy, Vampre flicks: Lost Boys, original Fright Night, Vamp, Interview With A Vampire, Queen of the Damned (Lestat climbing the wall YUM!), Bram Stoker's Dracula, Lair of the White Worm (Amanda Donohoe /the Lady Sylvia Marsh is FRIGGIN Sexy!) Blood and Donuts, Razor Blade Smile (Guilty pleasure!). Greek/Roman movies: Jason and the Argonauts, Alexander, Troy, 300, Percy Jackson/Lughtning Theif, almost any Super Hero/Comic movie from Thor to Scooby Doo.
(I have missed a LOT of the animated superhero movies though, lack of money more than interest.)
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: AD&D rule books and game modules 1st and 2nd Ed, possibly the first AD&D book Quag Keep, Guardian of the Flame series, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, Piers Anthony's Xanth series (which he used my idea for Pun kins in Faun and Games), Thieves' World anthologies comics and RPG rule books, all of RA Salvatore's Demon Wars/Corona books, Elf Quest magazines comics and Graphic Novels, all the Harry Potter novels, almost any Stephen King, Bram Stoker's Dracula. At one point I was trying to collect every single different issue cover I could find. My old tattered hardback went with me to Ireland, to Bram Stoker's actual Birthplace:
On a ghost tour I saw his bachelor pad and the church where he got married. I took a cab to Trinity College where he went to school and they have a 1st Ed of Dracula:
They had Bram Stoker's Great? Grandson on the radio which I got to hear, and had some events like a Wedding reenactment at the church while we were in Ireland.
... It also happened to be Dublin's One Book One City program, which I bought an "Irish" paperback copy of Dracula with the Dublin One Book One City sticker on it for 7.99 Euros:
How's that for geeky?
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Right now, that is Glee, yes I am a Gleek. But any super hero, or vampire show I usually have loved.
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: It changes from time to time. But Spider-Man was my first love, and I still hold him in my heart as an icon, even though I haven't really read comics in years due to my eyesight. I do also like Legion Of Super Heroes and the Sub Color Kid/Ulu Vakk (I have a created stories of him going back to 20th century to prove himself as a hero and called himself Rainbow Warrior aka Hugh Spectrum), and Poison Ivy (I created her and Floro's son Poison Oak, who is a hero).
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose: I tend towards Elemental powers, possibly since I am a Wiccan priest. I have a lot of Fire characters, Ice ones, Water, Earth, Weather ... But I think I would choose just Elemental Power over all giving me a much wider range of Awesomeness. Not to mention fighting off Texas drought and heat waves and having a white Yule/Christmas.
- In your leisure time you like to: Well since I am disabled, it's all leisure time now LOL I have slowed down due to health issues, but I still do HM3 art, play AD&D, write Haiku, listen to audio books with my wife (vampure books: Sookie Stackhouse, House of Night, Romances, yes I actually like romances, as well as Sci Fi and Fantasy), And of course my Eclectic Paths coven and Fort Worth Witches Meetup duties.
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): Highlights and shadows add SO much to a design making a good design great.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Too dark. When a pic looks nearly all black and I can't see it. (Which with my eyesight might have some details a normal person can see, but get lost to me.)
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: Think outside the box, don't limit yourself to something an object is, use a helmet for a bell, or a tail for an antenna etc ... Learn from other people, ask questions, check out past posts past winners and the Tutorials.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: I really love it here, I wish I could respond to each and every posted pic, but with my eyesight it takes me about twice as long to read as everyone else, and with Diaylisis Tues, Thurs and Sat, and my AD&D games on Wed, Fri and Sat and my other stuff, I just don't have the time. So please don't think I am a snob or just into "me" trust me I love going through when I can and seeing what everyone has done, I usually wait till after I have posted mine, so I won't inadvertently "steal" someone else concept, or not post one I've done if someone else has done similar if I really like mine. All is all this is the only website I come back to consistently and interact with a community. Thanks for being a part of my life and allowing me to be part of yours.
Oh…so for the bell in the picture, you used a helmet? That’s so cool! 🙂
Nice profile, love the pics from Ireland. Have always wanted to go to the British Isles (my ancestors were English), but have never been…
Congratulations, I love looking at all the art and learning what I can as well. I have honestly seen almost every piece that has come through here and what people have as their archive and I go back and check up every once and a while to see if they have made anything new. I love that we as HM users can interact and leanr from each other to become a better artist.
Cliff, it’s really too bad that you don’t make it here as often anymore. I understand between the failing eyesight and the diayalisis it’s been harder to take part on a consistent basis, but I do remember when I first started coming here regularly that you were the guy getting ripped on (unfairly I might add) for submitting a dozen or so enties into each character contest when most people only had about 3-4 maximum. And even when your stuff wasn’t the absolute best, it always seemed pretty high quality to me. It’s cool when you have time every once in a while and still produce a few pictures at your expected high standards.
Welcome aboard Cliff, that chapel piece is excellent work, my friend. Even though I don’t comment on alot of others work, I almost always check through the contest entries multiple times a week, and rather enjoy most of your submissions.
I figured Cliff’s Power User Profile would be long and rambling. 😉
Very sharp rendering of Saint Mary’s. I enjoy your works. Emerald is one of my favorite characters.
Hopefully we’ll see you in FNF 3!
Congrats, Cliff! It’s always nice to have ‘family’ around 😉 Your stuff has always had a sense of whimsy that I really enjoy. Hope to see more from you in the future 🙂
I’m…I’m not the only person on the planet who’s seen Blood & Donuts? *blink*
Congrats Cliff. I love that chapel piece- it’s so detailed.
Your profile sounds just like several of my close friends from back in New York, and you even look like a few of them!
All I got to say is… Lair of the White Worm FTW.
Creepiest movie ever.
Welcome to the club Cliff. I must say I’m jealous of your 3-time-a-week D&D game. I’m lucky if I manage to play once a month these days.
Congrats, Mr. Cliff!
I am also fixated on the 3-time-a-week D&D game. Blasted lucky bastich!!!! And I say that out of respect and pure jealousy.
Yes I used a helmet for the bell and there is also a “squished” Insignia circle on it for the bell bottom, I was going to mask a smaller circle fo that oval for the clapper, but it was too small for me to see.
Thanks for the kind words Gero, Bre and I wouldn’t have had my (now ex) husband not decided he was going to send us for Bre and my 20th Anniversary plus $5,000 spending money. He was something of a power freak and wanted Bre to get over her fear of Flying. She did very well on her first flight, which was 17 HOURS long. We went with 2 other friends Kim and her friend/co-worker Sandy. It would make a great opening line for a joke an old lady, a gay guy, a black woman and a hispanic woman all go into an Irish bar.
I prosed to Bre on April Fools 1987. I had told her for a couple of weeks I would, She said. After I got off work and got home right around midnight of April 1st, my dear friend/Bre’s cousin who I lived with for 8 years, asked if I was going to proposed to Bre, I said “Crap I forgot it was the 1st.” Teresa said she had a 1pt diamond ring she would give us, she got it off some “Remco” TV add or some such. I said sure and Thanks, and when TC (Teresa’s nickname) gave me the ring I got down on one knee and in front of TC and Bruce, her husband (and a past lover of mine LOL) and I proposed to Brenda, She forgot she said she was going to say no, she was so embarrassed and happy, she hid her face in her hands on the door jam and said yes. We were married on the Forth of July that yea. (Have I ever mentioned Bre’s birthday is on St. Valentine’s day. I NEVER forget an important day, and always treat the days separate getting her a birthday card/presents and a cake and St Valentines day card/presents, flowers and candy.) I was able to buy Bre and I Claddah’s on the 20th anniversary that I proposed to her at Blarney Castle gift shop, continuing the longest running joke around. 😀
You might could say the girls prodded me, a gay guy, into proposing, but I’m not complaining, I still consider myself gay, but I have been SO happy with Bre as my wife.
I really envy you and having the time to check out all the posts. I wish I could. There is SO much wonderful art here, and often time something Jeff might not pic maybe one of my favorites.
(Yes Jeff and I have different taste sometimes LOL.)
That’s OK, different strokes for different folks. And it’s his sandbox and I am just glad I get to play in it.
Thanks a lot Myro. Yeah I used to post LOADS, and I still fo on occasion. I totally didn’t see the 3 limit on the resend Cosmic contest. I felt SO bad about sending like 6 or 7. I have got into the habit of just reading the contest theme and figuring the rest of the rules are the same. Bad Cliffy!
Martian Blue #5
Thanks so much Martain Blue.
I do ofter worry if I am being “too gay” and offending anyone.
But I am who I am, and am pretty happy with that, so I post my stuff anyway. It is nice to hear when people really like my stuff.
I do admit so many of you have raised the bar SO high, and I am not an proficient with highlights and shadow and often feel like a mid-level artist around here, which is part of the reason I don’t post so much, unless I just get a flood of ideas.
I am trying to learn better techniques, but I know, from my friend John, he of the goldfish killing fart 😀 ) what I see color wise is not exactly what most of ya’ll see color wise.
The Atomic Punk #6
Heh heh you know me well,
Seems my responses are being long and rambling as well LOL 😀
Thanks for the kind words.
And I am very pleased that Emmy is one of your faves. She was a great character as well. Did I ever post her shower pic? I’f not I will put her up on my DeviantArt and send the link. Of course it’s NSFW, but not really “VULGAR”
And yes I am sending in to the FNF 3
Wow! Whimsy! I love it! Thanks SO much to me. Thanks.
Shaking my booty “We are family, I’ve got all my sistahs in me, We are family, get up everybody and sing!”
I love having family here as well. I keep wanting to ask for a family show of hands, but never have.
I aploogize for never responding to your Profile.
I meant to, then got sidetracked or forgot, or who knows.
First off I think Diego is a sexy name! I also love your Power User Profile pic!
It is so kewl you are a Bookseller/Cafe worker. I just hope it wasn’t at Borders which closed recently here.
Congrats on 4 years with Mike.
You have a great use of light/glowing effects which makes me really envious of your works.
Oh I definitely loved Fellowship of the Ring. My favorite part of the movie is the Shire life, after that the movie is SO much darker. And I really like the happy quiet life of the Shire. Of course there is also Legolas, Aragorn, Boromir, Eomer, Faramir, Haldir, Frodo, Samwise, Merry, Pippin … heck even Gandolf in their major hunkiness.
I will try to get some Delany audio books from Talking Books and try them out.
You should look into audio books, they are great in the fact that you can do HM work AND listen to books you want to read.
Sadly I never got to read much Thor. You would think I would have, with him being such a sexy Nordic .. well, God! 😀
I so love drumming! I’m not great at it, but I have 4, one is a bodhran, 2 djembe one large and one small, and I guess the other is a small half dome drum in a stand. We also keep a milk crate of tambourines, zills, sistrum, rattles, shakers, percussion frog, frog call, as well as an cedar flute and pan pipes for our rituals.
Thanks again for the kind words.
YEA! Someone else who knows about Blood & Donute!
LOL apparently not. But I know the feeling, It had seemed like I was the only one who had seen Blood & Donuts as well.
I rented it during a time I was checking out every vampire flick that was listed in The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead by J. Gordon Melton and Vampire Movies: An Illustrated Guide to 72 Years of Vampire Movies by Robert Marrero.
It was such a kewl quirky little vampire film.
Gordon Currie as Boya was EXTREMELY sexy!
His mental link, long-distance tub sex scene with Molly was friggin; HOT!
I admit I didn’t like the ending though.
I think I would have ended it differently.
But all in all I liked it.
Thanks for the compliment Trekkie, I really like it as well, I hope Kim will. It’s her Yule gift.
Of course I look at it again, and see some things I could tweak. LOL
But maybe after I get the majority of my Yule gifts done. I only have about 50 or so I need to do LOL 😀
Sean Murphy #10
Very kewl, I’ve never been to New York but would love to go.
I would also love to have your talent on HM3.
You can do SUCH racialism you have risen the bar to interstellar levels. I could kick you! 😀
But I do so love your art and aspire to that level.
True, she could be creepy as all get out, ie. the blue priestess body paint.
James d’Ampton (Hugh Grant) air plane dream was laughably and almost embarrassingly Freudian.
Eve Trent’s venom induced Nuns and Roman vision was disturbing, but then it was supposed to be.
I think it was an admirable and odd depiction of an ancient and decadent vampire.
But come on, Lady Sylvia Marsh was exquisite in the tight black leather(?) when she slithered out of the basket and seductively wove across the foyer.
Not to mention her in her bra, panties and negligee when she had the boy scout in the tub/pool.
And this is coming from a gay guy. 😀
Well the Wed game is over Skype with some friends in close to my home town 2 hours away.
That is not really AD&D but usually Mayfair DC game system which we have played Legion of Super Heroes, a DC super hero surfer teens team called the Seaside Set, I have Marina Rivera aka Nautica, an exiled Atlantian princess hydromancer/ We have even played a Marvel X-Men/New Mutants game with the preferred DC system
Here is my New Mutant Rosa aka Vibra. She was s skilled dancer and her power was Vibration, she could literally shake things apart and cause earth tremors.
(Yes I know she is not the first Latino/Latina vibrating dancer. I really did like Vibro in the JLA).
Here is a photo manip I had done of her:
We also had the the New Breed, our own creation of genetically grown heroes.
We have also recently played Chill
And after our current Dr Who game (using the D20 system) I am supposed to GM and AD&D 2nd Ed game set in Ancient Greece.
my Fri/Sat game is USUALLY AD&D 2nd Ed.
Friday nights are one shots
Saturdays are mini campains for 5 consecutive Sat. then the characters are open to play in the one-shots.
Curent mini campaid is a AD&D Dune inspired desert campain, Fremen are a breed of Elves who lives in a Seitch, we have Glowglobes (filled with phosphoresent beetles), Stillsuits, Windtraps, Thumpers, Sandworm/Shai-Hulud (actually desert dragons), Bene Gesserit, Sayyadina, Spice, and recently the sietch tau orgy. The dead are drained of their blood and it is magically changed to water and kept in the seitch well and is more precious than gold.
We have played a Sci Fi game with the Palladium system (Dr. Taren Tula, a giant alien spider doctor),
a Palladium Rifts game – Irish Burster (flame powered mutant), Branden Murphy from Dublin Texas which became a village of vampire slayers of Irish heritage,
Star Wars -Steele Wynn a Fringer/Jedi student Swoop mechanic and racer,
World of Darkness Anita Blake universe – Sasha a Toreador model/fashion designer,
Xipilli aka The Couatl
an aztec prince from the 1500s who was teleported to modern days with magic powers to used gem stone, make a HellBoy golden arm of great strenth and can form into an aztec sword, Teleport and has a MASSIVE flying pyrimid spaceship.
My AD&D characters include
Fireforge my Warforge 3rd level Myrrmidon for the current Dune Seitch mini-campain.
Rinkusu a Lynx Hengeyoki 1st lvl Martial Artist.
Husani – a Cat Elf 2nd lvl Sensite (pleasure priest) of Bast,
Thoron Shacael – Elven 2 lvl Archer, follower of Apollo (looks like Legalas)
Haruki – a Tiger Hengeyoki 3rd lvl Wu-Gen,
(yes I did somehow manage to have THREE feline characters. I am thinking of having some canine type next time)
Prince Rioral De’Calishandra – 5th level Elven Caviler. He used to think (and look) like a human peasent hero, and discovered his true heritage later in life. I was pleasantly surprised myself.
Levanah – albino 7th lvl Silverstar/Specialty Priestess of the moon Goddess Selune (I got a HM3 Honorable Mention with her for the Priest contest)
Kara Stormblast – 7th lvl Valkerie Cavalier with a rather proud and somewhat stubborn pegasus named Lightning, both in service to the Goddess Sif (for our Celestial mini-campain),
Philander (my pride and joy) 12th lvl Satyr Bard who has his own Barid College now and even has a new character class of followers, the Houri(sex mage)/Bard.
This weekend the game is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Palladium system)
I am playing Sinbad the Sailor,
we also have Doc Holiday,
a librarian from the Library of Alexandria
and a couple of others that I forget
I believe we will all be gathered by “The Traveler” from H.G. Wells The Time Machine.
Cliff#20 should read REALISM not racialsim LOL 😀
that had to be a Spellcheck typo I didnt catch!
Welcome to the Club Cliff, you’ll recieve a bill for the membership dues shortly 😉