Winner of Character Design Contest 55 and invaluable commenter Watson Bradshaw is the subject of this week's Power User Profile. He also has my all-time favorite profile photo, so bursting with joy and good honest geeky excitement it fills me with joy just looking at it. Enjoy!
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Watson Bradshaw
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life":
And one from Hammerknight's Old West poster:
- Real name: Watson Bradshaw...I was real original with my online persona
- Real city/state/country: Los Angeles, CA, Originally from Nottingham, England
- Real job: Theater Technician and scenic carpenter
- Real age: 29
- Gender: Male
- Relationship status (married, single, in a long-term relationship, dating someone, "it's complicated", etc): in a long-term relationship
- Online archive of your creations: http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/watson_kaboos/
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created:
(Click to embiggen.)
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: Tesla: Man out of time by Margaret Cheney a really great biography of my all time favorite scientist. I also love Jeff Lindsay's Dexter series of books.
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Doctor Who, Farscape, any Joss Whedon show
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: Well like most I am a long time Batman fan.
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose: mastery of space and time like Hiro Nakamura, or my very own working TARDIS
- In your leisure time you like to: play ukulele, write, fix up the house, game night with friends.
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): simple clean looks that make sense for that character and his/her powers or background.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Throwing together a "look" that may seem cool but has no reason to exist in that world (looking at you Superman in Armor...Isn't he invulnerable?)
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: don't feel like you have to emulate someone else s work, keep on at it and soon you will come up with a style that is all your own, And don't be afraid to try items in different ways, one mans shoulder pad is another's space ship. But above all else have fun and let your imagination go wild.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: Geek Life is becoming so mainstream now it is hard to imagine, I would have never guessed as a kid going to comic con when it was about comics that video games would out gross movies, we would see a kick ass Star Trek, and the two top earners at the box office would be a Batman Film and a movie about a kid Wizard! The Geeks are taking over!!!
Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: "Time After Time". H.G. Wells pursues Jack the Ripper to the 20th Century, great concept.
Congrats Mr. Bradshaw!
Congrats on gaining Power User status. Time after Time was a great movie.
I am now checking “Power User Status +3 dexterity ” off the bucket list 🙂
Congrats on Power User status. Love that photo and now you mention it, shoulder pads as spaceships. Hm…
Also, how long did you live in England for? (I mostly ask because I happen to be from England myself)
@Trekkie I lived in Nottingham untill I moved out to LA in 1995, I have a lot of family out here in the states and would always come out for holidays -vacation to the yanks 🙂 So what corner of the kingdom are you hailing from?
@Watson Bradshaw- I lived over in Wales for about 9 years, but lived in Birmingham for a bit before then. Now I’m down in Hampshire.
@ Trekkie, wow your all over the map, man I do miss it, but you cant beat the southern Californian weather 😉
Awesome pic with Stan Lee. Congrats on attaining Power User status, Watson.
Congrats on the profile. If it makes you feel any better, my real last name is Gero, so you’re not entirely alone. Also, things like Superman in armor, or Flash with a car, or any of the other random superhero accessories that seem to only exist to sell merch piss me off, too…
Cool that you met Stan the Man, and congrats on making it here!
Good job, sir! Your talent is noted and appreciated!
JOSS WHEDON RULES!
That’s one of the best photos ever. (Even if Stan does seem to be thinking ‘Christ, get me outta here’. 😀 )
Also, Time After Time FTW.
Welcome aboard sir.
“Time After Time”… I had forgotten all about that movie!
Cobalt Talon is one of my favorite perspective designs.
Thank you all for the support and for making me to keep pushing myself to do better 🙂
I just had a look through that Photobucket album and WOW. Just WOW. You totally deserved this.
Another well deserved creator joining the ranks. Although I don’t really comment much on these, I try not to miss any, I rather enjoy learning about my fellow community members who just happen to be some of the most imaginative people around. It’s amazing what can be done with HM3 with the appropriate talent and drive provided by members such as good Mr. Bradshaw and many others.
I know I’m a LOT late to this party, but anyways… Congrats Mr. Bradshaw.
And BTW, did you watch Dollhouse? I really liked that show.
@worf I did watch Dollhouse and felt like it got cancelled just as the show was getting good 🙁 But with Joss now heading up the Avengers, I really can’t wait for next summer.
My dear Watson, you positively scintillate.
WB. Great profile! Stan Lee is a God to me. Really. I have him nailed to a cross in the garage. Love your work! I was a scenic artist in the motion picture industry here in SLC UT for years. Kindred spirits.
You make some really neet stuff Watson Bradshaw. Welcome aboard.