We all probably think we could do a better job than the Powers That Be, so let's imagine you had Ultimate Super-Hero Authority and could put any characters wherever you wanted. Given Marvel's recent teaser campaign about the Avengers, I thought it would be worthwhile to ask:
Discussion after the jump.
Let's get down to it.
- Batman: I always thought of Batman as a more Marvel-style character, even though his creation predates that entire company. But he's got the right attitude to hang with that kind of ethos, and I think watching him and Captain America (who's even more of a square than Superman) butt heads would be a hoot. Plus I like to imagine the scene where he's introduced to Thor, and he makes a subvocal comment into the Bat Tape Recorder of "Thor, possible mental defective, follow up."
- Bulletman: I know this is totally ridiculous. I just like to imagine him flinging himself into various targets by the head while the other Avengers look on in horror.
- Captain Marvel (Shazam): All the schmaltz of Captain America with all the lightning goodness of Thor. What's not to love?!
- Harry Potter: Lame, I grant you, but just once I want to see the Expelliarmus charm go up against Thor's grip on Mjolnir.
- Luke Skywalker: Jedi Knights were totally meant to be part of The Avengers, admit it. Force Lightning versus Doctor Doom would probably be like a dream come true for me. Yes, I need help.
- Professor X: Someone will probably pipe up in comments to tell me that duh, this happened in blah blah blah number 568 but if it did, I didn't see it, so it doesn't count. I'd like to see another leader try to take the reins of the premier public super group in the Marvel Universe, I admit it. Power dynamics are interesting.
- Punisher: The over-under on how long it would take Iron Man to blast Punisher into smithereens is about three days. And I think we can all agree, that would be awesome.
- Wolverine: Again, this has probably already happened sometime, but I didn't read it, and it would be cool, so shut up.
My vote totally goes for Luke Skywalker, it's not even close. I'd love to see what a different-galactic-technology guy would do in a world that knows nothing of the Force, but still has amazing powers. Plus, let's be honest, after finding out he wasn't going to get lucky with Leia, Luke hasn't had a lot of fun. He deserves to romp around with spandex-clad hotties battling evil.
Who would you pick, if you could?
Personally I’d fire all of the Avengers and use Batman, Shazam, Harry Potter, Luke Skywalker, the Punisher and Wolverine.
Now that would be a fun team.
Every team needs a good Polish Mine Detector, so my vote goes to Harry.
I have to agree with you on Bullet-Man. Just for the sheer ridiculousness of it.
And yes, Wolverine has been an avenger. In fact I’m pretty sure he’s currently one. But then he seems to be in everything these days.
To have been in everything, rather, Anarchangel. One sequence I think was set sometime during the secret invasion run had a symbiote outbreak occur; someone with a lot of high tech equipment asked for a list of previous symbiote victims and, on seeing Logan in the list, muttered something to the effect of ‘Is there anything he hasn’t done?’.
And yes, Jeff, Anarchangel is correct. Not sure of the exact tenures, but at the least Logan was on the Avengers during Spidey’s run as one of them.
My own vote, for selfish reasons, would actually go to Ollie Queen – Green Arrow. I’m curious as to how long it would take before Hawkeye challenged him to a game of William Tell Chicken.
Bulletman. Like, freakin’ DUH. One step away from the Bullet-Avengers, I tells ya! Which, as we all know, would be teh awsumness.
The nice thing about admitting Bulletman as an Avenger would be that you probably would get Bulletgirl and Bulletdog as free throw-ins. And I think we all remember how successful the Wendy-Marvin-WonderDog or Zan-Jayna-Gleek Super-Friends trios were.
I’d like to add the original Luther Manning Deathlok the Demolisher. I doubt if he would stay long (he is a loner who doesn’t like to play nice), but it would be nice while it lasted. I think he and Captain America, both being ex-soldiers (and Manning having been a military tactician) would butt heads over strategy and tactics.
wolverines already been in the New Avengers so i voted skywalker because id like to see ironman make light sabres for S.H.E.I.L.D
i’d have harry potter, so he could use his spells to defeat everyone.
I vote for this!
I’d say Batman, because the Avengers really need someone with a plan. They tend to just sit around waiting for something to blow up.
And the Black Knight already invented an Avengers light sabre. But his was nonlethal on people and still cut inanimate objects like the old fashioned variety.
The Punisher. I heard Tommy Jane is looking for a job.
Luke. Especially as a Jedi Master.