Vampyrist’s Corner

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Vampyrist’s Corner

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,649 total)
  • Author

Vampyrist
    Participant

Both are good guesses and Weilyn, I actually made a Man who Laughs (Too early for noir, though Veidt is terrific in it) tribute a few weeks ago with Quinn Blaine, but unfortunately no cigar for either of you. New clue: Wheelchair down a staircase.

Additionally here is an alien.

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/vampyrist/2013/06/Kyankan.png

Weilyn

I can’t believe I didn’t catch that one! It’s one of my favourite films.

Wheelchair down staircase? … sorry, aint ringing any bells at the moment…

Kyankan looks great! Really like his outfit.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Thanks and my last clue is that Kris Kringle beat the character for best supporting actor at the Oscars.

Weilyn

Well, I found the name with some googling, but that’s cheating :P

Never heard of the movie, to be honest, but it looks pretty great. Will need to check it out.

Mad Jack
    Participant

@Weilyn said:
    Well, I found the name with some googling […] Never heard of the movie…

Ditto here. And the broad grin of your character mislead me to believe it was Emanuel Goldenberg. Wasn’t even close… Frown

Vampyrist
    Participant

I’d recommend Kiss of Death, it is a great noir, well good noir elevated by Widmark’s oscar nominated performance. Now my net character, my private eye Hawthorne smokes more than Mitchum in Out of the Past, another fantastic noir.

“Things used to be simpler. Good fought evil. Sword clashed with sword. Spell countered spell. But times have changed. Arrows became lead. Stone castles became steel obelisks that pierced the heavens. Good and evil disappeared into shades of gray. Kingdoms faded into cities and kings became mayors. Knights became cops and rangers became snipers. Magic still flies, but it is simpler. The only things that really stayed the same are the things people want : sex, money, power. People lie, cheat, steal and even kill for these things and they always will. I deal with these people, they need things found or discovered, I’m their man. The name’s Hawthorne and for the right price, I’ll find something for you.”

Hawthorne-I.png

Torog
    Participant

Love love love Hawthorne’s soliloquy . That’s some kickass writing.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Thanks and here is another pic with Hawthorne for the contest.

“The real secret of how to stay standing in this bedlam is not to be well liked, or feared. It is to be unknown, a shadow on the wall.”

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/vampyrist/2013/06/Vampyrist-ShadowsOnTheWall.png

Vampyrist
    Participant

“The most dangerous thing on this planet is a dame. There are daggers in men’s smiles and womens’ are filled with stilettos.”
    Vampyrist-Swansong.png

CantDraw
    Participant

Those covers rock. I’m not really a fan of film noir; although, admittely, I’m not sure I’ve ever watched one, unless The Maltese Falcon or Mike Hammer (TV show) counts. If you’ll give a me couple of recommendations, I’d be willing to check them out. I also seem to remember a couple of ST:NG episodes using film noir.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Well, Noir is one of, if not, my favorite Genre and I have plenty to recommend. Both of those would count as noir and Kiss me Deadly is a decent Mike Hammer noir, it also inspired the glowing suitcase in Pulp Fiction. The best noirs I have seen are Out of the Past with Robert Mitchum, Fritz Lang’s The Big Heat, Double Indemnity, Odd Man Out, D.O.A., and Gilda. A mention with noir undertones and a fantastic Robert Mitchum is Night of the Hunter. And my favorite movie of all time is a noir, and my next character’s name is a reference to it.

Callaway is a cop/knight who is an expert with his sword. Also people think he’s irish leading him to constantly say, “It’s Callaway, not Callahan. English not Irish.” This last bit is a reference to my favorite movie, a movie who has been my avatar and my signature before. And either those with a good memory or good film history/knowledge, may answer the riddle and earn a redesign from me.

Callaway-I.png

Mad Jack
    Participant

Uh – that one I know! That’s from “Der dritte Mann” … emm … I mean “The Third Man” (had to google to be sure of the original english title) … http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-smileys/sf-laugh.gif

Trekkie
    Participant

@Vampyrist said:
    Fritz Lang’s The Big Heat

I think I’ve heard of that one… The name’s familiar anyway. And if it’s Fritz Lang, then I’m definitely going to check that one out. (And I’ll have plenty of time for that since I finish my GCSEs tomorrow, so that gives me an extra six weeks on my summer hols- which should give me the chance to catch up on my movie-watching.)

Vampyrist
    Participant

Trekkie, I just started my summer break as well, and noir is on the agenda, I have too many to count available to watch. I’d recommend the Big Heat and the Third Man, which is fantastic and my favorite movie. I believe the BFI actually listed it as the best English movie of all time. Night of the Hunter is also superb. Madjack, you have earned a redesign of one of your characters. Post the character or a concept here and I will do it in my own flair.

Taking a little break from Noir, here is Mikhail, the leader of a group of mutants who wish to conquer the world. They were the result of the falling soviet Union’s attempt to create supersoldiers by breeding mutants. When their powers did not manifest, they were abandoned, along with others in the fall of the USSR. This abandonment would fuel Mikhail’s rage and made it easy to recruit his fellow projects in his goal of world domination. They believe mutants to be the future and they hope to ensure their reign.

Mikhail, or as one who is like god, has the ability to absorb energy, whether it be plasma or kinetic, and turn it into invulnerability and strength. He can also burn with pure energy or charge objects to explode, but he cannot throw energy. He can be wounded, but since his ability absorbs energy, nothing gets in to damage him. He is a very potent enemy as all attacks just make him stronger and he is nigh unstoppable.

Mikhail.png

Mad Jack
    Participant

@Vampyrist said:
    Madjack, you have earned a redesign of one of your characters. Post the character or a concept here and I will do it in my own flair.

Taking a little break from Noir […]

Well, that’s an offer I can’t refuse. Hope I can persuade you to take a litte break from your little break from Noir… ;)

Here’s a character I made up some time ago which I’m no longer satisfied with:

Arcane.png
    ARCANE

Daren Breaden is a privat eye / sorcerer with a partially demonic heritage working on cases related to the supernatural and otherwise weird – a psychic detective with a liability to the occult if you like. When using magic he takes on some demonic features (like his horns and the tail) and his powers include the ability to perceive ghosts and other supernatural entities.

I imagine him like a combination of Sam Spade, Philip Marlowe, Doctor Strange and Daimon Hellstrom – but not as a ripoff of John Constantine! Maybe hard to explain what I’m going for, but I want him definitely “darker” and “grimier” than in my picture – in other words: more of that film noir style you’re so great at … Cool

Viewing 15 posts - 826 through 840 (of 1,649 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.