Trekkie’s World

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Trekkie’s World

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 436 total)
  • Author

Trekkie
    Participant

Tried my hand at a Lauren Bacall-ish hairstyle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Keric
    Participant

@Herr, You ask,” Is the Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy From Company B a copyrighted character? That might be interesting . . .”

How could he be? He is a musician who was drafted!  There is no physical description of him. (IMHO.)

@ Trekkie, Man the 40’s are treating you right! I think you asked about the coat… I think MAYBE (not sure yellow circle) but I think the shoulders might look too narrow.  I do however SEE a problem at the bottom of the coat, and that is that unless the coat has side slits, the skirt should not extend beyond the coat (red circle)

Attachments:

Trekkie
    Participant

@ Keric- That’s pretty much it. The way I was doing it I couldn’t get it to work so I gave up and left it with the skirt showing out the sides. I might give it another go- with a bit of masking I might be able to get the shape right.

Herr D
    Participant

Actually, you could probably fix that with two  small capes from Bkpl the color of the coat. Just tuck ’em in to hide the skirt and ‘become’ part of the coat. The straight-up-and-down ones.

Edit: Bkpl / std, last item on top row, y at about 27%, x at about 65%, tuck it between skirt and coat layer on each side — that’ll approximately do it.

Tiberius

Great job on the hair, Trekkie. You have a great feel for those old styles of outfits as well, very nice.

LullabyOfTheSin
    Participant

Here is small comment with big +1,5 for you, again! you are truly making well-looking characters with great clothes, and i bet a lot of people adore most, if not all of your creations so far! (+1,5)

Patiently waiting for more creations of yours!

Trekkie
    Participant

Thank you both!

@Tiberius- I guess I’ve developed a bit of an eye of the look of that era from a) watching a lot of 40s movies (one of my favourite decades for movies) and b) doing a lot of research for Ada Wilder’s universe which has a very 1940s aesthetic (and which I’ve been working on (in drawing and writing) for… close to two years?)

Another character from that universe, Raymond Huston. He’s a police detective, a trans man (haven’t thought about sexuality) and an old friend/drinking buddy of Wilder’s (it’s a bit of a vitriolic friendship at times, but they do care about each other. They just won’t admit it.).
    It’s a little harder to get the 40s shape and look with the men’s clothing items, but I gave it a shot. I was trying to replicate a pose I drew him in which was kind of a ‘thinking’ pose, I don’t know if that really came across (also I realised it didn’t really work with the jacket so I changed it)

(In my drawings he looks more like William Holden. I think I ought to work more on making distinctive faces)

Incidentally, am I allowed to post a link to the tag on my tumblr for this universe? Because it contains most of the work I’ve done for it, if anyone’s curious about it. If not, that’s fine, and I figured I should check first

Attachments:

Trekkie
    Participant

Did a redux of Ada Wilder today, since I think I’ve got better at creating 40s hairstyles and clothes. I used the Lauren Bacall hairstyle, modified the trousers I put together for Huston and changed her features a bit. I think I’ve got her looking closer to how I draw her:

Attachments:

Trekkie
    Participant

Inktober took up a lot of my time during October, so I haven’t got any Heromachining done in a while. To make up for it, here’s a quick landscape

Attachments:

Herr D
    Participant

I need a tie like hers. It’s nice. Would go great around my third-largest tentacle.

Keric
    Participant

if that really came across (also I realised it didn’t really work with the jacket so I changed it)

Lol!

@ Trekkie Nice land scape!

Trekkie
    Participant

I haven’t watched old tv westerns in a while, but I started watching episodes of various shows again because character actors I like happen to be in them, and I rewatched a couple of movies I like (like Red River, which provided some outfit inspiration) and then a western AU happened:

(I couldn’t decide which looked better)

Attachments:

Vengeance
    Participant

great design on the western look very comprehensive 1950’s western tv show look

Jeimuzu
    Participant

I agree with Vengeance, you really captured the look you were going for perfectly.  It is tough to pick which version I like best, but if I had to, I’d probably go with the version with the tucked in shirt.

Trekkie
    Participant

Thanks guys! That was pretty much the look I was going for, I’m glad it worked out.

I ended up creating a couple of variant outfits (again inspired by old westerns).

Also, another character, Johnnie Yun. Him and Wilder are childhood friends and work together at being private detectives. He’s second-generation Korean-American, asexual, and more on the quieter side- he prefers to let Ada do most of the talking with whoever they’re doing business with. (I’ve also been trying to figure out if/how he could fit into the western AU, since Korean immigrants didn’t really start arriving until the early 20th century)

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 436 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.