File Export in Chrome Workaround

UPDATE 04/29/2014: Ignore this post, the core issue has been fixed and exporting from Chrome is now working again.

I’ve found a workaround so you can get the Image Exporter in HeroMachine 3 working again. The steps are outlined in this article but I’m reproducing them here. I tried it on my Mac install of Chrome and it worked great, taking no more than thirty seconds.

To disable the new PepperFlash:

  1. Open the Chrome Plugins page by typing this URL into the address bar: chrome://plugins
    chrome-plugins1
  2. Find the “[+] Details” button in the upper right to show the details of each installed plugin and click this button.
    chrome-plugins2
  3. Find the Flash Plugin Section in the list of Plugins.  There may be (1 file), (2 files) or (3 files) in this section.
    chrome-plugins3
  4. In the Flash section there should be 2 or 3 different versions of Flash listed.  If the Flash section only has one Flash file listed, Click Here to go to the Adobe website and download and install the Adobe Flash Plugin for Non-Internet Explorer browsers. 
  5. The first Plugin listed in the Flash section is the PepperFlash implementation.  You can tell that the first one is PepperFlash by looking for “PepperFlash” in the Location string.  See yellow highlight below.
  6. Find the “Disable” link and click that link.
    chrome-plugins4
  7. Now Close all open Chrome windows and tabs and restart Chrome and MySpeed should work as before.

Note: If no video will play or the website says that Flash is not installed after disabling PepperFlash, go back and Read Step 4 again more carefully.

About Jeff Hebert

Jeff is a 44 year old city boy who has somehow found himself located in Colorado, fulfilling his lifetime dream of making a living drawing super-heroes all day.

5 Responses to File Export in Chrome Workaround

  1. Isaac O'Grady

    I tried this method because I wanted to resume exporting designs for use on DeviantArt, but when I restarted Chrome every single one of my saved images was gone. Rather upsetting to see 3-4 hours of work per-image suddenly be lost like that…

  2. So sorry about that, Isaac. Browsers can be super finicky :-/

  3. The workaround isn’t helping me either. I enabled pop-ups for Heromachine.com and that didn’t work either. I followed the instructions in your article to the letter and then the HM3 app couldn’t start up. Whenever I try to export a character, the export window closes after clicking “Export” (as I assume it should) but nothing else happens aside from all the items in my creation shifting to the left. Maybe it’s something I’m doing (or lack thereof) but I need help.

  4. Viper, if that’s not working then I’m not sure what to tell you other than to use a different browser. All of them except Chrome work, and I continue to assume that just like last time the next release from Google will fix it for real instead of needing to hack around it.

  5. Eureka! I used Explorer and it worked. Gratitude for the assistance!