Scorpidius was one of the most active early adopters of HeroMachine, creating a massive and beautiful series of trading cards. While not as active on the blog and forums as some other folks, he nonetheless continues to expand his early vision into a truly impressive product. And Scorp, I swear my "Secret Nerd Shame" call-out of Stephen King was not in reply to your book answer! Maybe the fact that I have the super-power you wished for (in spades!) will let you forgive me ...
Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, I am proud to present Scorpidius!
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Scorpidius
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life": None provided.
- Real name: Simon (though people call me Si)
- Real city/state/country: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
- Real job: Graphic Designer
- Real age: 36
- Gender: Male
- Relationship status (married, single, in a long-term relationship, dating someone, "it's complicated", etc): Getting married next year
- Online archive of your creations: I set up a website of work a few years ago now. Once HM3 is released officially I will go back and update the website. It is: http://www.freewebs.com/brotherhoodoftheaxe/ This is also a link to my thread on Ugo: http://forums.ugo.com/showthread.php?t=37456
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created: My current favourite creation is a Brotherhood of the Axe character (I know they all are!) Sagato:
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Sci-Fi - "Aliens". Comedy - "Superbad"
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: I love anything from Stephen King
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: "Red Dwarf" all the way!!!
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: Always enjoyed the X men
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose: The ability to grow back hair
- In your leisure time you like to: go watch Newcastle United (soccer), learning the guitar (badly) and frequenting pubs with friends (often!)
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): Nice clear/clean designs
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Too much colour on the backgrounds, taking your eyes away from the character created.
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: Take your time! work on your design slowly making sure it exactly matches up to your idea.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: Just to see all the creators doing what they do, the work people put in is fantastic!
Nice choices in movies and books. Aliens is my favorite sci-fi, and in my opinion King is one of the greatest writers ever (and anyone who says otherwise shouldn’t be running any websites ;))…
Welcome to the Club Scorp!! it’s about time too, since you were the winner of the first ever character creation contest! 😀
Hang on. The ability to grow back hair that you’ve lost or the ability to grow hair on your back?
@angel 5: lol
I must say, I could not agree more with your HeroMachine tip. I used to shy away from designs that I realized would take a lot of time, but I eventually started ignoring that problem and just doing it. You know what they say – if it’s not hard, it’s not worth doing.
Hey Jeff, I did have a chuckle when I saw the king bashing, thought I might have reminded you of the hate haha, must say though, the gunslinger is my least favourite of the series, they get much better (give under the dome a try!!).
Wow, kaldath, that’s right Midios won that, he is another creation I have a soft spot for.
Thanks Gero, great to see another heromachiner with same quality taste!!
Exactly right Panner, patients is a virtue.
Haha, love it archangel, I did mean on my head , but closer inspection of the back shows where is has gone!! Might have to comb it up and over!!
Anarchangel, I totally missed that — thank you! I read it as “the ability to grow hair on my back”, which I most definitely have. I wish I could regrow it. Sigh.
I shall now rub it in your face that I have magic hair that allows me to enter a magic portal to the land of Hair-a-lot!
….That was a joke.
Great job, Scorpidius! And yes, I would like to change my power to hair growth (on the head).
Oh yeah! ALIENS ROCKS! I love me some Aliens. In my Top 3 of all time.
“Why don’t we put her in charge!”
Late to the party, but I like the starkness of your designs. Backgrounds can sometimes be a distraction.
And, sorry, for the life of me, I just could never get into “Red Dwarf.”