Winner of Character Design Contest 55 and invaluable commenter Watson Bradshaw is the subject of this week’s Power User Profile. He also has my all-time favorite profile photo, so bursting with joy and good honest geeky excitement it fills me with joy just looking at it. Enjoy!
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Watson Bradshaw
- A photo (or drawing) of you in “real life”:
And one from Hammerknight’s Old West poster:
- Real name: Watson Bradshaw…I was real original with my online persona
- Real city/state/country: Los Angeles, CA, Originally from Nottingham, England
- Real job: Theater Technician and scenic carpenter
- Real age: 29
- Gender: Male
- Relationship status (married, single, in a long-term relationship, dating someone, “it’s complicated”, etc): in a long-term relationship
- Online archive of your creations: http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o240/watson_kaboos/
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you’ve created:
(Click to embiggen.)
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: Tesla: Man out of time by Margaret Cheney a really great biography of my all time favorite scientist. I also love Jeff Lindsay’s Dexter series of books.
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Doctor Who, Farscape, any Joss Whedon show
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: Well like most I am a long time Batman fan.
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you’d choose: mastery of space and time like Hiro Nakamura, or my very own working TARDIS
- In your leisure time you like to: play ukulele, write, fix up the house, game night with friends.
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): simple clean looks that make sense for that character and his/her powers or background.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Throwing together a “look” that may seem cool but has no reason to exist in that world (looking at you Superman in Armor…Isn’t he invulnerable?)
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: don’t feel like you have to emulate someone else s work, keep on at it and soon you will come up with a style that is all your own, And don’t be afraid to try items in different ways, one mans shoulder pad is another’s space ship. But above all else have fun and let your imagination go wild.
- Any personal message you’d like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: Geek Life is becoming so mainstream now it is hard to imagine, I would have never guessed as a kid going to comic con when it was about comics that video games would out gross movies, we would see a kick ass Star Trek, and the two top earners at the box office would be a Batman Film and a movie about a kid Wizard! The Geeks are taking over!!!
Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: “Time After Time”. H.G. Wells pursues Jack the Ripper to the 20th Century, great concept.