When I first thought up the "Power User Profile" idea, I envisioned a way for us all to find out more about the people who we see posting on this and the UGO Forums routinely. Over time it's turned more into "People who make kick-ass images using HeroMachine", but that's not what I really intended.
This week, for instance, I wanted to highlight Ian T. Healy, a really interesting guy who has been a HeroMachine user almost since the beginning. He's a gifted writer of super-hero novels (which was just picked up by a publisher!), and has used the program in the past to help visualize his characters and keep their descriptions consistent. He creates good visuals with the app, but is not as prolific or out-of-the-box as previous Power Users. Regardless, he very much fits the definition of an active, interesting, creative HeroMachine user, and I'm extremely glad he's part of the community here.
Without further ado, therefore, I give you Mr. Healy!
- A photo (or drawing) of you in "real life":
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: ianthealy
- Real name: Ian Thomas Healy
- Real city/state/country: Denver, CO, USA
- Real job: Writer
- Real age:39
- Gender: Male
- Married/single: Married w/three kids
- Online archive of your creations (if any): Not exactly HeroMachine creations, but www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ianthealy is where all my ebooks are, and my 5+ year archive of The Adventures of the S-Team webcomic is at www.ianthealy.com/comic.
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you've created: I haven't created any really good HeroMachine art, but there's this one because it makes me laugh. He's like the obnoxious child sidekick that Firestorm never had.
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Mystery Men, with The Specials as a close (and obscure) second.
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: Santiago: A Myth of the Far Future by Mike Resnick. Like Firefly before there was Firefly.
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: Warehouse 13 is my current fave.
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: It's almost impossible for me to pick, but right now I'm really enjoying Power Girl's current series.
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you'd choose: The Hero Dial (how's THAT for obscure?)
- In your leisure time you like to: Well, I don't really have leisure time. What most people would consider my leisure time is actually when I'm working hard at writing.
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): Simple, bold designs with attractive color schemes. I'm also partial to non-symmetrical designs.
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Bad art/anatomy (fortunately not an issue with HeroMachine). Ridiculous guns. Characters whose sole purpose seems to be "being a badass."
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: Experiment. Use items in ways they were not designed to be used.
- Any personal message you'd like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: I have just accepted an offer from a small publishing company to release my series of superhero novels. More information will be available soon on www.ianthealy.com. In the meantime, I am always releasing new ebooks so check back often! And I love hearing from people who are reading my webcomic, which also features superheroes (done in LEGO!).