We all probably think we could do a better job than the Powers That Be, so let's imagine you had Ultimate Super-Hero Authority and could put any characters wherever you wanted. Given Marvel's recent teaser campaign about the Avengers, I thought it would be worthwhile to ask:
Discussion after the jump.
Let's get down to it.
- Batman: I always thought of Batman as a more Marvel-style character, even though his creation predates that entire company. But he's got the right attitude to hang with that kind of ethos, and I think watching him and Captain America (who's even more of a square than Superman) butt heads would be a hoot. Plus I like to imagine the scene where he's introduced to Thor, and he makes a subvocal comment into the Bat Tape Recorder of "Thor, possible mental defective, follow up."
- Bulletman: I know this is totally ridiculous. I just like to imagine him flinging himself into various targets by the head while the other Avengers look on in horror.
- Captain Marvel (Shazam): All the schmaltz of Captain America with all the lightning goodness of Thor. What's not to love?!
- Harry Potter: Lame, I grant you, but just once I want to see the Expelliarmus charm go up against Thor's grip on Mjolnir.
- Luke Skywalker: Jedi Knights were totally meant to be part of The Avengers, admit it. Force Lightning versus Doctor Doom would probably be like a dream come true for me. Yes, I need help.
- Professor X: Someone will probably pipe up in comments to tell me that duh, this happened in blah blah blah number 568 but if it did, I didn't see it, so it doesn't count. I'd like to see another leader try to take the reins of the premier public super group in the Marvel Universe, I admit it. Power dynamics are interesting.
- Punisher: The over-under on how long it would take Iron Man to blast Punisher into smithereens is about three days. And I think we can all agree, that would be awesome.
- Wolverine: Again, this has probably already happened sometime, but I didn't read it, and it would be cool, so shut up.
My vote totally goes for Luke Skywalker, it's not even close. I'd love to see what a different-galactic-technology guy would do in a world that knows nothing of the Force, but still has amazing powers. Plus, let's be honest, after finding out he wasn't going to get lucky with Leia, Luke hasn't had a lot of fun. He deserves to romp around with spandex-clad hotties battling evil.
Who would you pick, if you could?