New Campaign… New (-ish) Game System: G.U.R.P.S. in SPACE!

Home Forums Gamers’ Corner New Campaign… New (-ish) Game System: G.U.R.P.S. in SPACE!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

barbario
    Participant

So I have burnt myself out on fantasy and D&D. So since we took a hiatus anyways I figured we should try something new.
    I played Gurps for years annd its really easy and customizable. All my players are into the genre. Im gonna go for a more “space-opera” than hard sci-fi. Mostly because its more fun and easier. So any advice, helps, links, or pictures you guys can suggest I will appreciate alot.

Angel-Nebula50.jpg

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Though I haven’t hosted a GURPS campaign for… some time, it is my favorite RPG system. My mecha-verse is an American-style space opera. My meta-verse is comprised largely of my GURPS Supers and Champions characters.

As for the space opera component, what drives the story? Inter-galactic intrigue? Epic world-destroying battles? Individual universe-saving heroics? Fantastic inventions without the technobabble? These are all found in “Farscape.”

Are humans the only race? Are they genetically-modified or cyber-enhanced? If there are aliens, are they superior or inferior? Are they equals to, the masters of or slaves to humans? Is that Kleexoblotz with the seven hetero-chromatic eyes and single triple-jointed leg truly alien or merely a human being in a costume?

Many space operas have elements of classic literature, mythology, and folklore in them. Regardless of the genre, I have found that “opera” style campaigns fall into two general timelines. The first builds itself into a history. Either from the founding of an empire or a rule in decline that has a rich history. “Dune” is a perfect example.

The second category starts in the middle of the action – usually a war or rebellion. History is written as events unfold. References to ancient treaties, battles, even marriages are mentioned to explain circumstances. At times, these “hidden histories” drive the campaign’s direction. Examples include “Star Trek,” “Babylon 5,” and many anime storylines.

Check out donjon’s Fractal World Generator for planet and solar system ideas.

I have countless campaign and scenario ideas. More than willing to brainstorm or help you build from your foundation.

barbario
    Participant

@The Atomic Punk said:

Though I haven’t hosted a GURPS campaign for… some time, it is my favorite RPG system. My mecha-verse is an American-style space opera. My meta-verse is comprised largely of my GURPS Supers and Champions characters.

As for the space opera component, what drives the story? Inter-galactic intrigue? Epic world-destroying battles? Individual universe-saving heroics? Fantastic inventions without the technobabble? These are all found in “Farscape.”

Are humans the only race? Are they genetically-modified or cyber-enhanced? If there are aliens, are they superior or inferior? Are they equals to, the masters of or slaves to humans? Is that Kleexoblotz with the seven hetero-chromatic eyes and single triple-jointed leg truly alien or merely a human being in a costume?

Many space operas have elements of classic literature, mythology, and folklore in them. Regardless of the genre, I have found that “opera” style campaigns fall into two general timelines. The first builds itself into a history. Either from the founding of an empire or a rule in decline that has a rich history. “Dune” is a perfect example.

The second category starts in the middle of the action – usually a war or rebellion. History is written as events unfold. References to ancient treaties, battles, even marriages are mentioned to explain circumstances. At times, these “hidden histories” drive the campaign’s direction. Examples include “Star Trek,” “Babylon 5,” and many anime storylines.

Check out donjon’s Fractal World Generator for planet and solar system ideas.

I have countless campaign and scenario ideas. More than willing to brainstorm or help you build from your foundation.

Thanks, bub! Yeah i absolutely LOVE Farscape. That and Firefly are two of the best space shows ever! since I am in the process of watching all the Farscape episodes on netflix my game will be hugely influenced by it. It will take place in sort of a wild “uncharted territories” kinda place. I really want to evoke the “wilderness” aspect of it. since the players dont know these places it will be easier to assume the “characters” dont know these places. tons of aliens. one of the players is gonna be a cthulu-esque undercover agent. using telepathy to hide her true form and purpose. another is a former space marine that was dumped like all the rest when the war ended. (cept he really killed his commander). the third is gonna be a robot that has vital data in his head that he cant access that will be key to some conspiracy. So I have starting point.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Good start. Flying blind with a dash of intrigue. How did the characters come to meet? Through an employer? At a bar? The marine just hitching a ride?

Obviously, there are going to be long-term rivalries with a spy and a secret to protect. I picture this culminating into an epic showdown. Like the end of The Hobbit, when the humans, elves, dwarves, and orcs all take to the battlefield to claim Smaug’s treasure.

Many opportunities for first contact. You have potential to form alliances or make enemies. Or simply lay waste to entire civilizations. During one of my campaigns, the players decided that they would take over a low tech world. Which really put a stop to the action. Should yours decide to do same, introduce a killer virus or an impending invasion to get them moving again.

barbario
    Participant

im gonna have them meet in the first game. each of them is trying to find employment. find a ship. the droid gonna be pilot for hire. the marine is muscle/protection, the alien spy im still thinking about. im gonna have them all keeping things secret from the others. i want to create a memorable villian like Scorpius.

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

I like your “second person sloppiness.” With your bound and determined “this is how it is.”

Scorpius is an ultimate villain. John’s dismal of Scorpius makes John and at the same-time Scorpy existential badasses!

The connection is everyone wants to get somewhere. They agree to join because they have ulterior motives. Turns out, those motives turn into opportunities. Do they use each other to advance? Or do they stick it out for a larger prize? Then again. do they all sit at the table and share wishy-washy.

barbario
    Participant

I like your “second person sloppiness.” With your bound and determined “this is how it is.”

i dont follow…

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

“Second person sloppiness” is an inside joke. Basically, I like your straight-forward approach accented with folksy mannerisms. It’s an observation, not an insult. If I ever make it to Texas, I’ll stop by, buy a round or two, and explain. But then, it’s usually after a round or two that I tend to ramble (see my previous post).

Hope I’m not hijacking your campaign. It’s been so long that I’ve written anything or ran my own game circle, my mind is springing ideas.

The ex-marine is hired to protect the woman who is really an alien spy who hides her true form by creating illusions in the minds of others. They hire a droid to pilot the ship through uncharted space, or a sort of galactic Bermuda Triangle, in order to evade the woman’s enemy or enemies.

Does her telepathy affect how the droid sees her? Do any of her powers affect the droid? Does the droid even care what she looks like? Will you report her to the marine?

When the marine discovers her true form, will he even care? A job’s a job and the check cleared. What if the check bounces? Will the marine betray her for a reward?

Is this all an elaborate ruse by the alien to get close to the droid so she can reveal the conspiracy, assassinate him, protect him, blackmail the universe, or simply satisfy her own curiosity?

Is the enemy a racial enemy? Is he after the spy because she has knowledge or perhaps a keepsake of his? Does he know about the droid? Maybe the marine killed the enemy’s son in battle and he wants revenge.

Maybe the spy or her race was responsible for bad relations between the enemy’s race and the humans. She’s back to finish the job. She needs the droid’s secret to ignite full-scale war that will weaken, perhaps destroy the enemy and the humans.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.