Jadebrain’s Creations

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Jadebrain’s Creations

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Jadebrain
    Participant

@Herr D said:

As to those arms, from your description of the culture? I would say small, magical amulets tied on with leather thongs.
    Your pic with the horns? I think you’ve done fine with everything, but I want to know about the horns! Did they originate from cultures that lock horns or just hammer? That might say something interesting about the way they developed culturally.

Amulets? On the arms? Wouldn’t that potentially get in the way of swinging whatever weapon I give her?

As for the Grendemoth (I assume you’re talking about that), they don’t really have a culture. They’re an engineered race, created by a ritual performed by druids for a long-dead nation to serve as guardians of that nation. While the nation didn’t last long enough to make use of the Grendemoths, the druids which created them outlasted the nation itself, thus allowing the ritual to complete. Since then, individual Grendemoths have sort of assimilated (mostly as second-class citizens) into whatever society they find themselves in. The particular Grendemoth in the picture belongs to a nation based mostly on a combination of ancient Mesopotamia and medieval India.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s the finished picture of Sharal. I may or may not digitally add color later.

Jadebrain
    Participant

I’ve decided to re-do Brigrada Allslayer, given that her clothing reflected neither her culture nor her status within said culture. I’ve got the outline of her body finished, though I will say that her right foot looks awkward (given that it’s a hoof, and it’s bent at that angle; I’m not sure what can be done about that.) Any thoughts on that?

I’ve started on the clothes, as well; while I’m far from finished, I figured I’d also upload what I have so far. Any advice is appreciated, but I’m especially interested in advice on how to make her armor look A. More functional-looking, B. More Norse-looking, C. More regal-looking, and D. More able to convey the “theme” of her clan, which prides itself on its reputation for being able to take down any foe.

Herr D
    Participant

With the hoof like that, you might want to show scuffs / scrapes / trenches in the surface that the lunge or landing in that pose caused. Particularly the torque from swinging the weapon or vibration from holding the pose. A swing would let you flare out part of a garment or longer tufts of fur for extra drama.

. . . Your earlier question about amulets is a good one, but you can choose non-cuff amulets. Some amulets can be just a single pendant on a thong tied anywhere, including onto a buckler or the handle of a weapon. A runed skull portion or rib bone could be carved appropriately to need and dangle or swing as you like.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s an obviously unfinished rough draft of a friend’s character in another friend’s campaign using my game system, Festa the Fixer. Still to do are the left foot, the tail, and the rifle on the back. In the final draft, the furs she’s wearing will look different; they’re only drawn like that now because it’s a rough draft.

Race-wise, she’s a Gannum, a highly-intelligent race of small people that sort of resemble elephants. In addition, they have second brains stored in their bellies, and their hands sport three fingers and two thumbs.

Culturally, she’s from Calmekanni, a steampunk nation in the desert; however, in the campaign, she’s on an expedition in a very cold arctic region far away from her homeland, which is why she’s wearing furs.

Any thoughts on things I should do different?

Jeimuzu
    Participant

She looks great to me, are you planning to have her holding something in her left hand? That’s the only thing I can see, maybe add a weapon to that left hand. I hope that helps, she seems like a cool character Smile

Herr D
    Participant

With redoing the fur anyway, you might think about high fur collar in the front under the trunk. Arctic explorers don’t always go with scarves, but neck and mouth protection from extreme cold is always good. A trunk muff might resemble a loose fur sock?
    Other than weapons in the left hand, playing up the two thumbs might be easier if the Gannum’s holding a compass and — I don’t know — a cigar or a ‘blaze’ maker (spray paint?) or something more geared to his role in the party, like a rock hammer for a prospector. Two small objects could definitely play up two thumbs better. Somebody on here customized a hand with two thumbs recently–I think it was Madjack. You might look for it. Anyway, good bigfoot-style cartooning on the fur in this draft.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s an anatomical outline and the beginnings of a sketch of armor, for the purposes of brainstorming, as per the comment thread on the blog today.

Jadebrain
    Participant

And, here’s another WIP take on an outline of the armor.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s what WOULD be a finished armored outline for the character I’ve been working on, had I not forgotten to draw the tail. Since this image was scanned, I’ve decided that the tail armor would basically be like a tapering scale tube that would wrap around the tail. I’ve already started on the creation of a final, textured form of the picture, but I’m not sure how to draw the scales (the armor is basically a take on lorica squamata) without making the area the scales are drawn on to look too dark. Any other ideas for improvement are also welcome.

Jadebrain
    Participant

For Character Design Contest #79, here’s a picture I did a while back. Perhaps it’s not my best work, but what the heck?

It wasn’t so much inspired by a song so much as an ideal aesthetic that multiple songs were written to reach for, but none have perfectly achieved. As such, I’ll instead pair it with the song which, I think, comes closest to achieving this ideal.

Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISdeiheoP9w

Stulte
    Participant

Awesome Cool

Jadebrain
    Participant

I’m not sure if I’ve uploaded a picture of this character already, but it really doesn’t matter, since I’m re-doing her whole look. Here’s Brigrada Olldrijpar (pronounced brih-GRAH-dah ALL-dree-per), the High Jarl of Gondrogar. As this is an outline, I have yet to do patterns or shading, except to help with the placement of scales and splints in the finished product.

One thing I’m wondering how I should accomplish is how to add a scale pattern without making the surface appear darker than it should be; I’m a bit heavy-handed, and so pressing lightly with the pencil is hard for me, and using erasers to lighten the area tends to blur things a bit.

Another thing I’m wondering about is whether or not I should continue to use splints in her gauntlets. Originally, I considered her culture, which is aesthetically “barbarians from the north,” and I immediately thought of vikings; in trying to be accurate to that, I ended up asking online what an incredibly high-ranking viking warrior would wear for armor, and the most exceptional thing that was mentioned was “splint armor” (mail was also mentioned, but it didn’t seem “exceptional” enough). However, I was later reminded that this setting is one of my own creation, and now I’m trying to go less “strictly viking” and more “germanic barbarian in general” in terms of the armor she’d have access to. Any suggestions regarding that?

Continuing the theme of this character, I’m wondering how else I can tie in the theme of her clan without sacrificing function in her armor. The Olldrijpar clan prides itself on its members’ ability to take down any sort of dangerous beast, and so I decided to put the image of a bear’s face on the front, but should I do anything else?

Finally, I’m wondering about what I should do about her helmet and muzzle armor. Right now, the helmet looks too reminiscent of Darth Vader, and the muzzle armor looks like the grill of an old car. Any suggestions on what to do instead?

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s an anatomical outline for an attempt to re-make an old picture from scratch. You’ll notice that the pose, while basically the same in concept, is more balanced and less “crouch-y” in the revised anatomical outline; in addition, IIRC, this is my first attempt at drawing a face from that angle, animalistic or otherwise. I had a lot of trouble with the muzzle, but even more trouble re-creating the hair; while I could actually look at one of my dogs for a reference of the former, I had no reference for the latter. I am also aware that I forgot to draw the ears and tail, though I’m not sure if the ears would be visible at that angle anyway. And yes, the feet are supposed to be that big.

Any tips? Suggestions? Comments or questions?

Attachments:

Jadebrain
    Participant

Odd, some of my old image uploads seem to have disappeared, and right when I need to share them with friends. I’ll re-post the one I’m trying to share.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.