J3loodT4lon's Art Room

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery J3loodT4lon's Art Room

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Herr D
    Participant

The technique Hawk mentioned is one I use commonly. Take any item in your picture; select another one, a few percent different in size, all three colors black and put it behind, protruding. For long shadows, mask that gradient circle to it to show instead and drop the second item to the bottom layer.

As for where? Experience is going to be long coming, but you could sample shadow patterns from other pictures with similar light patterns and objects from the web or IRL.

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Okay so I was up a long while last night working on another character. I started off with the character Arcaniss and started editing it, changing the skin color and some of the major details that set my characters apart. One thing led to another and I ended up working in the turned male body, which was a bit of a struggle for me as I haven’t really worked with them that much. I personally think he turned out fantastic, but I cannot decide on which version I want to set as his ‘classic’ model, for lack of a better term. So I decided to post them all here and get your guy’s opinions on them. Without further adieu, meet Falcon:

Falcon (Hood)

Falcon – The Sky Terror (Hood)

Falcon

Falcon – The Sky Terror

And for shits and giggles I decided to see what he would look like with a face. Now I refuse to alter the eyes at all, as they are kinda a signature in my opinion for my characters. So with keeping that in mind, I was limited to certain noses and mouths, as they would need to match well with the eyes, and this is what I came up with:

JR19759
    Keymaster

I’d say, personally, I think the third one is the best. Having wings behind a cape doesn’t really work (as naturally they’d need to be in front of the cape and the cape would just get in the way during flight). I like the fact that the cape and the hair together give a sense of atmosphere to the picture even though there’s no background. Their movement suggests that there’s some sort of wind blowing on the character, which always says badass, because when ever you see a badass character with long hair they’re having it blown in wind, right?

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

I’d say, personally, I think the third one is the best. Having wings behind a cape doesn’t really work (as naturally they’d need to be in front of the cape and the cape would just get in the way during flight). I like the fact that the cape and the hair together give a sense of atmosphere to the picture even though there’s no background. Their movement suggests that there’s some sort of wind blowing on the character, which always says badass, because when ever you see a badass character with long hair they’re having it blown in wind, right?

I agree, I feel the hair gives that “I’m a badass” feel to it that the hood doesn’t. However, in terms of the cape, it is actually only over the one shoulder:

Going off how that cape is placed, I personally don’t see it interfering with the wings at all.

hawk007
    Participant

Love the sword on Ignastus. That’s obviously not the only thing, but It’s a cool sword.

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Love the sword on Ignastus. That’s obviously not the only thing, but It’s a cool sword.

Thanks Hawk 🙂

If you look though, Drakon, Ignastus, Arcaniss, and Falcon all have multiple details in common:

• Eyes, whether they be blue, green, purple, red.. They are all the same style.
    • No other facial features other than eyes. (Ignoring the shits-and-giggles face portraits I did of Falcon.. Consider those ‘non-canon’)
    • They all have some form of  cloak.
    • All have the same dragon tattoo and runic tattoo.
    • They all posses the same sword, whether it be drawn or in its scabbard.
    • They all have a hood attached to their cloaks, though in Falcon’s case he may or may not have his pulled back. (Haven’t decided on which model to use)

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Here are a couple more characters I created last night/this morning. Enjoy and please leave comments!

Tamali

Leon

Updating the original post to include these new characters.

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Just finished up a new character model. Let me know what you guys think.

Hexblade

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Finished another character last night, a Minotaur named Kathos.

Kathos

I am also working on fleshing out my universe, and have a little teaser for you guys: The world map.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Kathos is really cool!

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

So I have been gone for a while dealing with IRL stuff and a lack of creativity. But I have returned.. kinda. Did some playing around a bit ago and threw this guy together. Let me know what you think!

Robot-Centaur?

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Here is another one I just put together.

JR19759
    Keymaster

Not bad. On the second one you might want to either change the brown on the costume or the colour of the horse, because they merge with one another on the overlap. But other than that everything looks good.

Good to have you back with us.

hawk007
    Participant

Hey, I was just looking, and would you mind if I tried remaking Hexblade? Obviously, just for fun. I just think he’s a cool character, and would like to see what I could do with him.

J3loodT4lon
    Participant

Go right ahead, Hawk 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.