January 11, 2013 at 1:35 am #570
Okay! This is the master block. See here for any major revisions.
Each modular installment will consist of a contest:
a. Week-long, unless otherwise stated at beginning of contest; Monday to Saturday, judging mostly Sunday but possibly not announced till Tuesday.
b. Installments may not resemble each other AT ALL. They may also happen at random intervals. (Hey, patterns can be overrated.)
c. Prizes, if any, will be non-monetary, intangible, possibly zany, and not announced in advance.
d. To be eligible you must have, but not necessarily post, just in case I request it, hm text for your entries.
e. I may submit PM’s unequally to entrants, depending upon circumstance. Entrants please check your inbox at least twice weekly. (And yes, weakly is acceptable as well.)
f. Each entry must be NEW–not a repeat without explicit permission via PM.
g. You must credit any sources of poses, etc.January 11, 2013 at 10:40 am #17069
i’m up 4 itJanuary 12, 2013 at 1:21 am #17099
This one starts early–you have from RIGHT NOW (no time travel allowed) till Saturday 1/19 11:59PM EST. To illustrate one or more of the following:
1. Enforcer KF2 (male) looking stern and authoritarian, making a commanding gesture as he does an assisted leap through the air.
2. Enforcer LC4 (female) looking angry, embarrassed, impatient, or some combination–and aiming not firing her shoulder cannon.
3. Any Enforcer in the midst of removing headgear with someone behind them ready to stab them.
1. Background walls are cavern/mine gray, perhaps streaked with black or ‘earth tones.’ The Enforcers are the security force for the ‘Belt Mine Prison System’ or BMPS. That’s right. All pics are well inside an asteroid millions of miles from Earth. No portholes. You may, if you like, show hallway girders or struts, hatches, doorframes for residences, airlocks without views, storefronts with signs, ‘public’ computer kiosks, lights, vents, security cameras, . . . I may add to this list by request (PM.)
2. Anyone you show is human, but that includes cyborgs. Anyone besides an Enforcer is a beltminer, or prisoner, on V-gamma-seven, the asteroid mentioned above. It’s a penal colony, capitalist, minimally regulated. No kids, no animals. Simple, vandal-resistant cleaning bots. The miners might wear anything they can make / steal / kill for. They live here. Some are hookers (legal here.) ID is done with something half the size of a wristwatch with no band. Implanted mid-forearm, only slightly protruding, wireless, no jack.
3. Enforcers are identified by a seven-digit code, usually four numbers, two letters, and one more number. The last three are large and repeated on several limbs of uniform. The uniform is gray, armored, bulky, has very little hardware showing besides a com unit and a shoulder cannon (five shots at a time,) shows nothing but the face and maybe some hair. These suits DO enable the wearer to leap up to seventy feet in length, twenty-five feet in height in nine-tenths Earth gravity.
Should you, during this mission, become fraught, thrilled, or raptured, you may mention it here. I know this is a lot of detail.January 19, 2013 at 11:35 pm #17637
Wow. Deadline has passed with no entries.
Module 1: Enforcer– will remain open. There is a potential prize waiting for the right entry. Submit entry here, but please direct all questions about M1: E to me via PM.
Module 2: PUNishment. Starting–NOW–you may submit, standard deadline, a horrible visual pun. Make me groan, make me moan.January 27, 2013 at 7:36 pm #18143
Module 2 is closed–with no entries. So, I guess I won?
Module 1 remains open. Module 3 will not begin this week.February 15, 2013 at 10:01 pm #19407
MM2M: Module 3 — The BUG.
Some of you know what two-year-olds are like. Sometimes they have a problem with categories. I don’t know the term for it in dev. psyc., but one word per category is all they use: A dog is everything with 4 legs, etc.
A child in the baby seat said, “There’s a BUG!”
The parent said, “Didja GIT ‘im?”
“No, he’s too HEAVY.”
Of course, in reality, the child meant too FAR or too FAST. But we’re sticking with heavy. Realistically speaking, the child might not have meant insect or arachnid, but anything unpleasant looking with multiple legs, possible wings, and nowhere near soft and cuddly. Perhaps arthropoidal, etc. So, in the twisted imaginings of a heavily sleep-deprived human father, what did the BUG look like? It had to fit in the back seat of a typical car, as it had not yet become visible to the parent in question. This pic must have the child or at least a campy silhouette for scale, and extra points for putting background in. You have until Sat. 2/23 11:59pm.
Module 1 remains open, so if anyone wonders why it’s so specific, the source material is my story, “The Show Must Go Off,” in the scifi section of the Writer’s Room.February 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm #20104
If I have three interested replies by Tuesday noon, I will extend this contest. I think it sounds fun.
**I guess no one agrees. M2MM-module 3 is officially closed (since it’s Wednesday now,) but if you wish to submit an entry, do so here and keep your text. It may be worth a leg up in another contest. Module 1, the Enforcer challenge is still open.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.