Currently reading

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Hammerknight
    Participant

Okay. Sounds like the new show “Grimm” fit there.

FRM

Gene said:

The Inheritance series starts off with Eragon, correct?  With four books?  I've seen the movie and a couple of my kids have read the books and like them.  I liked the movie, but was concerned that the books were more written towards a teen audience, and I have a hard time reading those types of books.  Is that the case?

correct. Eragon is first. i've not seen the movie, but i heard from the=ose who read the books, and saw the movie that it was terrible (no offense if you liked it). i think that if you like LOTR, you'll like this. i'm not sure about who it is geared toward, but i'd say anyone.

Lime
    Participant

Currently re-reading the Harry Potter series. I am wrapping up Goblet of Fire at the moment, and realized as I got a few chapters in that I had never read it in the first go-round! I’d started the audiobook but had to return it to the library before I even got to the beginning of the Triwizard Tournament. So really all I knew of it was the movie. A lot of things (like SPEW) make a lot more sense now …

Kaldath
    Keymaster

I have renamed the title of this thread since these are no longer just test forums, I felt we should take the (Testing 1,2,3 ) out of the thread name.

Myro
    Participant

So with the movie having just come out, I’ve ordered Edgar Rice Burroughs’ “The Collected John Carter of Mars,” which I’m told should have the entirety if the Barsoom stories in it. Going to take a hit to my geek cred on this, but I’ve never read any of these, and actually found out about the series through the Heromachine community.

Vampyrist
    Participant

@Myro, if you have an I-phone, the first five books are on iBook for free.

Myro
    Participant

@Vampyrist said:

@Myro, if you have an I-phone, the first five books are on iBook for free.

Sadly, no. I’m an Android guy, so unless Amazon is making the same offer (which I doubt) for use on Kindle, I’m afraid that’s not any help to me.

Also, I’ve already got the book, I just need to crack it open. I still like having actual paper books over e-books. So it doesn’t make sense to get digital copies online when I can just read the book.

Still pretty amped, though.

Herr D
    Participant

I must recommend Patrick Rothfuss’ Kingkiller Chronicles. Fantasy for the reader who sees poetry potential in physics, even if he doesn’t GET physics. I do, but I wouldn’t NEED to. The Dresden Files leaned that way a little, too.

Iscarioto
    Participant

Has anyone read The Passage by Justin Cronin? The second book is due out in August, fantastic Post-Apocalyptic VampireIsPlague type set up, very hard to put down.

Vampyrist
    Participant

I’m on a Shakespeare streak. I just read Henry V and saw Throne of Blood(Kurosawa’s Macbeth) , and now I’m going to read the Merchant of Venice.

Kaldath
    Keymaster

I am currently reading Ordermaster by L.E. Modesitt Jr

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Just finished “Ready Player One” by Ernest Kline, and I’m going back to read it again. It’s described as “Willy Wonka meets The Matrix”, and I think that’s fairly accurate, if Willy Wonka was an 80s geek and The Matrix was created by him as a computer game… Cool

RobM
    Participant

Just finished The Physics of Superheroes by physics professor and comic book fan James Kakalios. There’s a great section about how Seigel’s gravity-based explanation for Superman’s superstrength can only work if Krypton was actually a dead neutron star. Even though the existence of neutron stars was first proposed in 1934, it’s seems unlikely Seigel would have known about or understood them when he started developing Superman. Great intuition Jerry.

Prof.Anthrax

Right now, I’m splitting my time between 3 books, if only because different spirits move at different times.

Tank Men by Robert Kershaw is about armored warfare from World War I and II as seen by the tankers themselves. There’s little varnish and the interviewees come across with a lot of emotion, good and bad, and as real people instead of cardboard caricatures.
    The Most Powerful Idea In The World by William Rosen. The story of the invention of the steam engine (the machine itself, not necessarily the choo-choo sort), and the understanding of Steam Itself. While steampunk seems to have been beaten to death as of late, it’s interesting focusing on that word’s first syllable.
    You Never Give Me Your Money – The Battle For The Soul Of The Beatles by Peter Doggett. The Fab Four after Brian Epstein’s death and the upheavals involved, from the Apple Corps debacle, Yoko Ono, the Allen Klein/Eastman management battle, and they fought to be four individuals instead of one group.

barbario
    Participant

i just finished song of fire and ice series (game of thrones) for the third time. now im re-reading american gods by neil gaiman and the princess bride. also just started cryotnomicon by neil stephenson.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.