Your challenge this week is to use HeroMachine to create one of the animal/human hybrids known as the Beast Folk from The Island of Doctor Moreau. I have included a list below for reference.
- Edward Prendick– The narrator and protagonist.
- Moreau– A vivisectionist who has fled upon his experiments being exposed and has moved to a remote island in the Pacific to pursue his research of perfecting his Beast Folk.
- Montgomery– Dr. Moreau's assistant and Prendick's rescuer. A medical doctor who enjoyed a measure of happiness in England. An alcoholic who feels some sympathy for the Beast Folk.
- Beast Folk– Animals which Moreau has experimented upon, giving them human traits via vivisection for which the surgery is extremely painful. They include:
- M'ling– Montgomery's servant who does the cooking and cleaning. Moreau combined a bear, a dog, and an ox to create him. As Prendick describes M'ling, he states that M'ling is a "complex trophy of Moreau's skill, a bear, tainted with dog and ox, and one of the most elaborately made of all the creatures." He also sports glow-in-the-dark eyes and furry ears. M'ling later dies protecting Montgomery from the other Beast Folk on the beach.
- Sayer of the Law– A large, grey animal of unspecified combinations that recites Dr. Moreau's teachings about being men to the other Beast Folk. The Sayer of the Law serves as a governor and a priest to the Beast Folk. He is later killed in an unseen scuffle between Montgomery, M'ling, and the Beast Folk.
- Hyena-Swine– A carnivorous hybrid of hyena and pig who becomes Prendick's enemy in the wake of Dr. Moreau's death. He is later killed by Prendick in self-defence.
- Leopard-Man– A leopard-based rebel who breaks the Law by running on all fours, drinking from the stream, and chasing Prendick. The Leopard-Man is later killed by Prendick to spare him further pain, much to the dismay of Dr. Moreau.
- Dog-Man– A Beast Man created from a Bernard who, near the end of the book, becomes Prendick's faithful companion. He is so like a domestic dog in character that Prendick is barely surprised when he reverts to a more animalistic form. Dog-Man is later killed by the Hyena-Swine.
- Satyr-Man– A goat creature. Prendrick describes him as unsettling and "Satanic" in form.
- Fox-BearWitch – A female hybrid of a fox and a bear who passionately supports the Law. Prendick quickly takes a dislike to her.
- SlothCreature – A small, pink sloth-based creation described by Prendick as resembling a flayed child. He helped Prendick kill the Hyena-Swine before fully regressing.
- Ape-Man– A monkey or ape creature that considers himself equal to Prendick and refers to himself and Prendick as "Five Men", because they both have five fingers on each hand, which is uncommon among the Beast Folk. He is the first Beast Man other than M'ling whom Prendick speaks to. He has what he refers to as "Big Thinks" which on his return to England, Prendick likens to a priest's sermon at the pulpit.
- Half-FinishedPuma-Woman – The last beast-person created by Moreau. She is halfway through her process of being turned into one of the Beast Folk, but is in so much pain from the surgery that she uses her strength to break free of his restraints and escape. Moreau then chases after her with a revolver. He and the creature fight each other which ends in a mutual kill.
- Mare-Rhinoceros Man– A hybrid between a horse and a Javan rhinoceros who appeared during Prendrick's introduction to the Beast Folk.
- Ox-Boar– A hybrid of an ox and a boar who appears after Montgomery's death.
- Swine-Men and Swine-Woman– A group of pig-based Beast Folk who appear during Prendrick's introduction to the Beast Folk.
- Wolf-Bear– A hybrid of a gray wolf and a grizzly bear who is briefly mentioned during the hunt for the Leopard-Man.
There is no limit on entries this week, so enter as often as you like.
Rules for posts, contests, and challenges: Original characters only, no copyrighted characters, no characters based on copyrighted characters, no characters based on RPG’s or other games. The characters must be your own design and not based on any character that might be copyrighted in any way. I have the right to delete any post that I believe crosses this line without warning. Only post characters that have been created solely using Hero Machine, and that you know for certain have never been entered in a contest before. If you aren’t certain, don’t enter it, because I’m not going to go back through all of the contests and check.
All entries must be in JPG or PNG form (BMPs are too big), posted to a publicly accessible website (like the HeroMachine :,ImageShack, PhotoBucket, or whatever);
- Entries must be made as a comment or comments to this post, containing a link directly to the image and the character name;
- Please name your filesas [your name]-[character name].[file extension] before you upload it. So DiCicatriz, for instance, would save his “Bayou Belle” character image as DiCicatriz-BayouBelle.png.
This contest will close on Sunday, May 14th at 9:00am Eastern.