Great moments in lame taunts

(From "Blue Bolt" number 2, 1940.)

7 Responses to Great moments in lame taunts

1. Avatar punkjay says:

I can’t tell Jeff. Was that a taunt or a gay pick-up line? I’m not gay, but if I was I would not go w/ such bad fasion sense as the guy in the yellow grandpa hat! I also am weary of his ungodly tight jeans!

2. Avatar Doornik1142 says:

The tough part is figuring out which taunt is the lamest. “Rug-cutting cadet”? “C’mon down, cutie”? Or the ever popular “Tough guys, eh?”

Doornik1142: Speaking of which, what is it with that word “eh”? I see it all over the place in comics but I’ve never heard anyone say it in real life.

Then you need to hie yourself to Canada!

4. ams ams says:

Doornik1142:

As where you would say “Hey, want to goto the movies?”, we northern border types would say “We’re going to the movies, eh?”

5. Avatar Trekkie says:

Those speech bubbles look strangely decorative.

6. Avatar Doornik1142 says:

Jeff Hebert: Then you need to hie yourself to Canada!

…Fair enough.

However, in comics that sort of verbal tic is never restricted to Canadians. Everyone seems to do it, like it’s the most natural thing in the world. So what is that supposed to be?

7. Avatar X-stacy says:

I say “eh?” all the time, and I’ve never been to Canada.

I probably picked it up from reading, or from old movies and cartoons (I’m pretty sure Looney Tunes, Tiny Tunes, and Animaniacs all used some variation on the line “A wiseguy, eh?” at some point, for instance).