I see so many various HeroMachine images, that they sort of blur together over time. It’s very unusual for one to stick with me so strongly that even months later, I go actively looking for it. Our Power User this week is Lime, who has exactly such an image and story. Here it is copied from her UGO Forums Archive; I include it at the beginning because I wanted you to see why I chose her to profile. Anyone who can do this is someone I want to know more about:
One day after school, a griffin followed me home. I asked my mom if I could keep it. She said no. I don’t know why. I promised I’d feed it.
Also, considering the passing of Peter Falk two days ago, I think her final line is very appropriate. So without further ado, it gives me great pleasure to introduce Lime!
- Online name used in HeroMachine environs: Lime
- A photo (or drawing) of you in “real life”:
- Real name: Alisha
- Real city/state/country: St. Louis
- Real job: Library Lady
- Real age: 33
- Gender: XX
- Relationship status (married, single, in a long-term relationship, dating someone, “it’s complicated”, etc): Married to a bald bearded guy.
- Online archive of your creations: http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/girlwiththelime/ (Exposed mermaid nipples may be NSFW. Claim it’s “indigenous nudity” if someone looks at you funny.)
- The best piece of HeroMachine art you’ve created: I tend to feel like whatever I’ve finished most recently is the best, since I’m always learning new things to do with HM. Still, I’m consistently fond of this one:
- Favorite all-time geeky movie if any: Can I count the entire “Lord of the Rings” trilogy? If, not, then I’ll say “Fellowship of the Ring.” I saw it 6 times in the theater.
- Favorite all-time geeky book if any: “Anansi Boys” by Neil Gaiman. I recommend it frequently at the library.
- Favorite all-time geeky TV show if any: “Firefly”. I was stuck home with pneumonia for two weeks in January, and passed some time watching the entire series. Then I had to find some way to spend the other 12 days …
- Favorite all-time comic book character if any: Death from “The Sandman”
- If you could have one super-heroic power in real life, you’d choose: Teleportation, because so many of the people I love live far away from me. And because I want to visit the Caribbean but hate to fly.
- In your leisure time you like to: Right now I’m working on adapting an obscure fairy tale, “The Black Bull of Norway,” into a young adult novel. (All the Norse-looking people in my HeroMachine creations are from that story.) I also have great gardening ambitions. However, much of my time gets sucked away by the Internet.
- Character design turn-ons (things you love to see that make for a good design): Being more a writer than a visual artist, I’m drawn to pictures that seem to be a snapshot from a story, or that invite me to imagine what the people in the picture are up to.
I must say I totally envy the folks who are doing awesome things with poses and light in their HM creations!
- Character design turn-offs (things you hate to see that make for a bad design): Designs that are crowded with too much going on. Facial features being weirdly placed or proportioned (unless the face is supposed to be weird).
- Best tip for a HeroMachine newbie: Take your time getting to know the tools and don’t feel bad if your first attempts aren’t on the level of people who’ve been using it for a long time.
- Any personal message you’d like to share with the HeroMachine community about Geek Life: Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.