Or anything you will ever see again for the rest of your very short life.

(From "Bert the Turtle" governmental a-bomb preparedness pamphlet for school kids, 1951.)

13 Responses to Or anything you will ever see again for the rest of your very short life.

1. Avatar The Imp says:

The name ‘Bert the Turtle’ conjures images of some post-apocalyptic humanoid mutant turtle wandering the wastelands in search of human flesh.

2. Avatar Dionne Jinn says:

“Teenage mutant ninja turtles…” Thanks for that thought to you, Imp. Now that tune is going to play in my head for the rest of the day…

3. Avatar McKnight57 says:

It’s been playing in my head for the last 3 years at least. Well, that and Ninja Rap.

4. Avatar Lime says:

Go ninja, go ninja, go!

5. Avatar TheNate says:

Much more informative is this sequence from Barefoot Gen (NSFW WARNING: brief animated nudity; nuclear devastation)

6. Avatar DiCicatriz says:

I remember one of my old history teachers told me an anecdote about the atomic bomb testing in the Southwest in which a young blind girl driving past with her parents ‘saw’ the bright flash moments before the flash actually appeared to her parents. I never found out if it was true but I always thought it was spooky…

7. Avatar DiCicatriz says:

Ah, that’s what snopes is there for I guess

8. Avatar zaheelee says:

has anyone else wondered why they decided to draw one of the most destructive forces known to man as pink?

9. Avatar Dr. Shrinker says:

Remember to duck and cover kids.

Then afterwords, keel and croak.

10. Avatar X-stacy says:

Because it would be the lousy pinkos dropping the bomb on us, zaheelee. Duh!

(Actually, I have no idea, unless printing in pink was cheaper.)

It might be unpatriotic to say, and I sure didn’t grow up in the McCarthyist ’50s, but I still say between radioactive fallout and nuclear winter, you’re better off if you’re closer to ground zero. Give me split-second incineration over nuclear apocolypse any day!

Whoops, forgot to close off those italics.

13. Avatar punkjay says:

@zaheelee: It isn’t even a hot pink either, which Would ba ok, it’s baby pink, I wondering if it’s a nuclear war, or a girl’s baby shower. Also the text should be black so you don’t have to squint to read what’s goin’ on, and I also think the trees look so fake. My 8 year old niece could draw a better tree!!!